Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use silicones and have good long-term results?

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Anyone here use silicones and have good long-term results?

Silicones worked well for my sons. They both have classic length hair now. It doesn't work well for me so I don't use them. It really depends on your hair type and personal preference.

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I was silicone free for a long time but liberally use them now. I can’t imagine not using them at my length because I do need something to coat my fragile ends and add slip to prevent as much mechanical damage as possible. I use a coney conditioner after washing, then a few drops of mineral oil on my last few inches after the shower. On day 3-7 of my wash cycle I use a detangling spray and a few pumps of a silicone serum and/or Nightblooming oil during my detangling/braiding process in the morning.
    I woke up like this (brushing the top of my calves somehow??)

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Silicones offer a lot to hair. I'm not sure why people decides they needed to get such a bad rap all of a sudden, but the fact that they coat the hair is GOOD. It's a way to protect the hair!
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶, WL

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemi View Post
    Silicones offer a lot to hair. I'm not sure why people decides they needed to get such a bad rap all of a sudden, but the fact that they coat the hair is GOOD. It's a way to protect the hair!
    Yeah the misinformation is rampant for sure. Plus other ingredients can build up on hair, not just silicones, it just depends on a lot of factors.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemi View Post
    Exactly! That’s their whole point. I have a hard time getting the logic, because anti-silicone activists do usually recognise the fact that they will still need to clarify their hair from time to time, so other ingredients build up on the hair as well, not just silicones. You are just left in a position where you try to find an ingredient that gives the same effect as silicones and likely builds up just the same.

I understand that some people’s hair genuinely disagrees with silicones in particular and this doesn’t concern them! I also know that some avoid them for environmental reasons etc.

Length
    14/29/40
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I loveeeee silicones! Makes my hair soft, well conditioned and shiny. I tried the clean beauty thing and I did not like it. For my hair, silicones are much more superior than natural products. They keep my hair tangle free, conditioned and protected 👍

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Croww View Post
    I loveeeee silicones! Makes my hair soft, well conditioned and shiny. I tried the clean beauty thing and I did not like it. For my hair, silicones are much more superior than natural products. They keep my hair tangle free, conditioned and protected ��
    Please understand this isn’t a criticism against you Croww, just a comment on how this has permeated the culture at large—

But even this dichotomy is false! Most ingredients are made or refined in a lab, even things that are seen as “natural” ingredients! If they weren’t, there would be a much greater chance of bacterial contamination for one thing. If you are making something in your kitchen for use within a few days or to freeze for a month that’s one thing, but we want the products we buy to be standardized and made in laboratory quality conditions! I mean jeez.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I've been using silicones for 8 years now, and my hair has been loving them. And, I've always been getting really great results after each use.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Croww View Post
    I loveeeee silicones! Makes my hair soft, well conditioned and shiny. I tried the clean beauty thing and I did not like it. For my hair, silicones are much more superior than natural products. They keep my hair tangle free, conditioned and protected ��
    Yesssssssssssssss! I also loveeeeeeee silicones too! It also makes my hair soft, well-conditioned, and shiny too....and they do protect your hair as well!
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    Pixie/BCL/Class
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I'm another person who swore off of silicones during the big 'no sulfates or cones' boom when CGM was getting really popular. I've been back to using them for a few months now and my hair is very very happy. The best thing it does for my hair is keep it from getting tangled, which reduces breakage. My hair is very prone to tangles if I wear it down for more than a minute, so the slip is a lifesaver.

I still use cone-free conditioner from time to time as I like to co-wash during the week, but there's only one brand I like to do this with. It's so hard trying to find straight-forward science-based answers about hair sometimes so I'm not even sure how effective using cone-free products alongside coney products even is, but layering cone-free products underneath the cones and then using a bit of coconut oil on the ends throughout the week has become a very reliable method for me
    Oh sing me a song of the sea,
    Selkie, siren, sisters thee.