Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use silicones and have good long-term results?

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Anyone here use silicones and have good long-term results?

Use whatever works for you!

If your hair loves silicone then go for it.

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    After all these years, trying just about all of it, I think I can say that what I found out is that it's more of the overall formulation of a certain type of product, and not necessarily the individual ingredients. So one type of product with silicones can actually be better than one without and the other way around. It's truly a "try and see what works for your hair" type of thing. If you find something that works, don't change it up so much, stick to whatever it is.
    This made something click for me. My hair hasn't responded well to most products with silicones in the past, but I have found 2 conditioners in the last year with cones that my hair actually likes! I'm not sure what the commonalities between the two products are though, other than the cones being near the end of the ingredients lists.

I'd love to try experimenting with more coney products, since I'm starting to have issues with tangles again.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I've consistently been using silicones for about six years (and sporadically long before that--would just buy whatever was on sale). I'm very pleased with the condition of my hair. The reason I loved Aussie conditioner enough to switch to it permanently, though, was not the silicones/slip but rather the fact that the combination of humectants seems to be more effective on my hair than many other moisture-heavy conditioners.

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Me! I’ve used them on and off over the years, but my hair is always happier and more tangle-free when I use silicones. Currently pretty content with Garnier Fructis’ line of products.

Length
    16/25/46
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I have been off silicones mostly for the last 4 years at least. I would like to experiment more with products containing cones at some point. It is just hard to get past that mental picture in my mind that says the more "natural" the product is the better. Right now my hair is only at APL so tangles for me are not an issue, however, when my hair used to be longer (waist and hip length) I really started having problems with lots more tangles and I wonder if I had used a product with silicones if it would have helped a lot more and actually protected my ends from mechanical damage from all the tangles. I'm interested if others have had the same sort of dilemma as well when experimenting with different products.

Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Molly_Marie View Post
    I have been off silicones mostly for the last 4 years at least. I would like to experiment more with products containing cones at some point. It is just hard to get past that mental picture in my mind that says the more "natural" the product is the better. Right now my hair is only at APL so tangles for me are not an issue, however, when my hair used to be longer (waist and hip length) I really started having problems with lots more tangles and I wonder if I had used a product with silicones if it would have helped a lot more and actually protected my ends from mechanical damage from all the tangles. I'm interested if others have had the same sort of dilemma as well when experimenting with different products.
    Try this: List as many natural substances as you can that you wouldn't want to put in your hair. I'll start: hydrochloric acid.

My current shampoo and conditioner (which I've been using for over a year) have silicones, and they really help with keeping my hair from tangling. They also prevent dandruff, but I think that's the tea tree oil.

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I had the same issue, thinking that all natural was better. I also stopped using silicones and other stuff for years. And it was okay, I was getting by, but silicones make detangling soooo much easier. When I started to stop using silicones and other stuff that was deemed "dangerous" or considered cheating ("your hair only appears to be shiny, but it's breaking underneath a layer of silicones lol), I didn't really know much about what these ingredients were supposed to do and there wasn't much information to be found. But today, there are lots of doctors, chemists and cosmetic formulaters who explain the science behind these ingredients. So, that helped me to reclassify them as not dangerous in the quantity they're used in cosmetics.

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I started experiencing "tangling"at about same length . Silicones help, BTMS (a non silicone, an actual hair "conditioner") definitely helps but as my hair has gotten longer, I've given up silicones, BTMS, etc, not because they are "bad" but because I really don't need them. I've resolved my tangling issues by technique rather than product. Fortunately for me, hair grows slowly enough that it's not all dumped in the lap at once so there's plenty of time to learn as you grow
    Last edited by foreveryours; September 1st, 2023 at 09:56 AM.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    cbl/mbl/hl
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I stopped using silicones about a month ago because people made them sound so evil, & i'm not really sure if it did anything at all.. like there's been no major changes in my hairs quality & things like that. Maybe a little frizzier but I don't know ?? considering going back to them.. but I don't think they really benefited my hair either.

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm recently switching back to silicones after a few years with out it. I've seen an improvement in tangles so far.
    Find me at the beach or springs wishing I was a mermaid
    SL- MBL - WL - HL - TBL - CLASSIC - FTP - KNEE