Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darn Layers!

Length
    24/38/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Darn Layers!

Hey everyone. Has anybody ever had layers cut into their hair, and later regretted it? Take me, I had layers cut in back in the Summer.. My hair is BSL, but some of the layers only reach the bottom of my ears!

Question - HOW exactly did you grow them out, considering your main goal is to grow your hair LONG? Did you go for regular trims to let the layers "catch up", or did you decide to wait until your hair was, say, waist-length before keeping that length while waiting for the layers to catch up.. How long did it take, roughly? Was it worth the tedious wait?

I'm trying to find a way to enjoy the layers, but since I made the decision to seriously grow my hair, I can't help wishing everything was even and neat!

Length
    SL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Darn Layers!

I'm growing out layers and I regret them.

I also had BSL hair -and just before I joined I got layers cut. Now I've had layers since I was in highschool and I honestly have always loved them. But they've never been longer than a 2-3 inches and easy to grow out.

When I got these layers cut into my hair, I stressed that I wanted to keep the overall length. She wasn't my normal person so I brought a picture of what I wanted and everything. Just a few inches like usual. Needless to say I don't think she knew what she was doing because she started my layers above my ears. AND she turned me away from the mirror so I couldn't see-something I no longer tolerate. It looked terrible.

Now this is where everyone's choices differ. I joined just a few days later and decided to chop as much as I could stand to lose. I went from just below BSL to above my shoulders- and I'm still growing out about 4 inches of layers.

I don't regret it- but the choice is yours. I decided to cut most, and grow out the rest until I reach BSL again- then I hope to maintain that length with regular trims until my hair is even.

If you're ok with losing some hair I'd recommend the same. If not, then I'd say find a length you're comfortable with maintaining and start gradually evening it up.
    Last edited by ssjhotau2; December 31st, 2008 at 01:54 PM.

Length
    24/38/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Oh man, sorry you had a disappointing time with the stylist. That's really bad, how she turned you away from the mirror! I'd seriously start panicking if that happened to me.
    It sounds like you did a good thing, cutting off as much as you could to get a more fresh start. Hmm. I just like to know that there's others here who are/have been in the same boat, y'know?
    I think I'll make a decision in a while.

Length
    24"/32"/?""
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Hello MimiKeki!
    Yes, I have layers and I do regret them ...Before I cut them, my hair was all one length and to me at the time, felt heavy and took forever to comb and take the tangles out..that was before I really actively joined here and am learning how to better care for it.
    Now, my hair does not feel as thick because of the layers and when ever I braid my hair, it sticks out all kind of crazy directions ..ha! But I do plan to do mini trims to get it back to even length... Placing my hair in a bun helps me forget about it..and you would be amazed how much faster your hair seems to grow when you kind of don't pay attention to it

Length
    24/38/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

From your sig, Katiana, I see you have gorgeous hair. Your hair is the reason I thought "You know what? Maybe I should grow my hair to waist-length, and THEN assess how it looks before making another rash decision I might regret." - because I might come to like it alot.
    Just wondering, how long is your shortest layer? I can't quite tell from the pic.

And you give good advice - Hair does seem to grow faster when you don't pay attention. I must stop watching paint dry :P

Length
    24"/32"/?""
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MimiKeki View Post
    From your sig, Katiana, I see you have gorgeous hair. Your hair is the reason I thought "You know what? Maybe I should grow my hair to waist-length, and THEN assess how it looks before making another rash decision I might regret." - because I might come to like it alot.
    Just wondering, how long is your shortest layer? I can't quite tell from the pic.

And you give good advice - Hair does seem to grow faster when you don't pay attention. I must stop watching paint dry :P

Many thanks Mimikeki for the kind words

Okay..you made me take out my stragely, crazy hair sticking out all over the place braid to find out for myself where my first layers start! hee,hee..it looks like it is just about past BSL for the first layers. From that layer, I just measured to the last one is about a 6.5-7" difference.
    I would wait on your hair...I think there are times I do like the layers..like when it is down ( but I also hardly wear it down, once down it is up in the next 5 minutes for me since I have little ones )..just let it grow out some, and do little mini trims..I find layers look better as they are growing out..it is just such a pain to put in a nice braid now..but I hear you about the watching the wet paint dry..believe me, I do this too

Length
    24/38/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Aw shucks, you didn't have to take your braid out! XD
    Thanks very much though. Hmm, well layers don't seem that bad now.. Maybe it just takes patience. The more people I see with lovely long layered hair, the more hopeful I feel, really.

Length
    21/35/30
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I have had layers and regretted them 2/3 times, I spent ages trying to grow them out all these times only to some how end up with them again. I'm about an inch off all one length (about 2 years no trims). The layers seem to grow quicker than the longest part which helps.
    I'm aiming to get it all to length where I can trim it to neat one length ends without losing too much length.

Lady Vör, Tome Guardian and Wisdom-Keeper in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I'm in the process of letting my layers grow out. I've noticed that the last month or so, I haven't gained much in overall length but my longest layer is much closer to my hemline now. I'll take it and be happy!
    Lady Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    24"/32"/?""
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

No problem! It was fun...I had not even thought about looking before! Hee,hee...it looks better now anyways...I redid it, so thanks!
    Have a Happy New Year and hope you reach you hair goals for 09!