Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad stuff removal support group!

Length
    -/TB/Knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Bad stuff removal support group!

I need to trim about 4 inches off the ends because I want a thicker hemline. I cut about 4"off when I first joined LHC (I thought it was an inch.. don't know how that happened..) and everytime I look at my hair now I say to myself, ah if I left the ends it would've been almost at classic by now; at the same time I figure I won't be so self conscious and be able to enjoy my hair so much more if I just cut off the remaining ends.

After driving myself nuts, I decided I'd wait until I get to classic and maintain until the ends have thickened. It's not that easy though, I still contemplate cutting my fairy tale ends off and being rid of them for good whenever I get a glimpse of the back of my head (which as an LHC member has become a not-so-unusual angle to look for in the mirror).

Length
    15"/15"/29
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Yes, this is me too. I've already made my major cut, as you can see in my pic. My hair was severly damaged from not taking care of it, and way too much dying. Somehow it got terribly thin also and I still have not determined a cause.

I'm working on learning to take care of my hair, and hopefully my hair will be long and gorgeous.

Don't Stall On Me Now!
    Length
    Pixie/Hip/Clssc
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I am stuck with extreme breakage from chemical hair dye.

I have been growing it out since August and have a significant amount of regrowth to show and I was also growing out layers from a hair cut gone bad. I am finally happy to say that I am almost layer free. I have a little bit left on my left side, just a tad... hair stylist was using a razor on my hair to blend extensions and cut into my natural hair.

I've since stopped wearing the clip ins though because I'm sure it also contributed to some of my breakage but not all. I was a flat ironing queen. I know I fried it.

I'm on the road to recovery now. I think I'll trim once I'm past BSL, hopefully not too far from now.

Length
    AP/TB/~W/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I don't know if this qualifies as "bad stuff", but I'm looking to grow out my layers some more. I don't have damage -- knock on wood -- but, my hemline is not exactly that attractive in the interim.

I don't mind some layers in my hair (or a taper to my braid...depending), as long as they are long enough that they don't pop out of braids too greatly, or worse yet, the situation I have now: thin-looking ends, because only a portion of my hair is at that length. Some of my hair lingers around BSL, whilst another bit is a few inches past my natural waist. Go figure.

At this point, I don't know whether to sacrifice full growth for trims in the immediate future, or to just let it grow and even things up once my shortest strands are goal length. I figure I'll just trim off 0.5" six times (every 2 mos) in 2009...that will only set me back about 3-4 mos. Opinions?

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

i have a few pieces of bleach damaged hair left on my ends, most i have gotten out with trims, i think b/c i am so close to my goals i will wait on trimming the remain bits. The damage was dyed dark brown but has since lighten up which kinda gives a highlighting look to my hair. I'm just gonna ride it out.
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I have about 6" of cone-damage. I am at 23", with a growing in underlayer that is about 17". I would like to be free of the damage, and have an even hemline, so I would have to cut back to 16-17".
    I.just.can't.do.it.
    I don't like short hair; it looks bad on me.
    I have been microtrimming over the last 16 months.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I keep going back and forth on this. The bottom 3 inches are damaged and layered, but they are the only length I have at this point, so if I cut back to chin length, I won't be able to pull my hair back any more or put it up, which I am just starting to be able to do. I am still thinking to try to resist trimming for 4 months so I can pull it all back, then start micro-trimming the damage and layers until they are all grown out.

Lady Nereida of the Riptide Shores - LHK
    Renegray: Silver Hair is a Sparkling Diadem

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I'm in!

Since coming here I have been slowly getting rid of dye, bleach, and heat damage as well as the grow-out from a "trendy shag cut" I had in 2004. That means I have gained 4 or 5 inches since coming here almost three years ago. While it is frustrating to not get fast, quality length, I want to enjoy my hair and that means being able to wear it down. My ends are still see-through and about 1/300th the thickness of my hair at the nape, but they do look a LOT better.

I don't stick to any schedule, but trim when I feel like it. I trimmed in August and again in October, and am going to try to not trim again until my baby is born (end of March). I have such severe taper (from 3 inches to .01 inch) that there is no point to which I could cut it all off to start from scratch - chin to shoulder is a horrible, unflattering length for me and I will never go back!

Honestly I do not know if my hair will ever have a thick hemline. But I am determined to get the old bleach and dye out, cut off as much taper as I can, and also enjoy the length!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

This is me; I'm so close to my "for now" goal of waist, but I don't think I'll be happy if when I reach it the ends are as dry as they are right now. A few years ago I was heat-styling semi-regularly, and that damage is now the last couple of inches. That said, I do see myself keeping some layering, even when I do reach longer lengths, since for some reason my hair has nicer waves with some long layers (which in turn helps me resist the temptation to fry it). It looks good all one length when it's straightened - but I don't want to straighten!

Length
    shldr/MBAv2/trml
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Count me in. I started with apl (24") and 2.5 years on I'm only just past bsl when dry (32.5"). A gain of 6.5". However I have a steady growth rate of 0.5" per month and everything down to nearly bsl is now undamaged. No heat, colour or rough brusing and styling. Hopefully by the end of 2009 all of my pre-LHC hair will be gone.

I've tried micro-trims and no trims during that time and it doesn't matter what I do I always hate trimming and I hate my ruined ends too. I am seriously thinking about getting the last 3 inches of damage trimmed off early next year by a professional. I think part of the problem I am having with my hair at the moment is due to the natural layers that constant s&ding has caused. I normally self-trim, but I really feel a truly blunt hemline would help and I never quite manage that myself.

Another thing that is making the wait harder is that my natural hair seems a lot wavier than I remember. When I joined I thought I was mainly 2a with a bit of 2b. Now I'm a definite 2c. So I have way more shrinkage when dry than I thought I would. In my siggy it looks nearly waist, but normally it doesn't look that long. I keep hoping to be able to maintain at dry waist, but it's taking forever to get there.

I keep myself positive by thinking about the fact that I should see some real strides in length when all that nasty damage is gone and that the worst part is nearly over.

As for tips, I would have to say keep a record of your growth and trims. The number of times I've convinced myself that I've reached terminal because I can't see it getting longer is not funny. Thankfully I chart it every month and can look back and see that it is growing and that I keep trimming it off. Sounds stupid I know but seeing it written down makes that growth more real to me. I know I would have given up before now thinking I couldn't ever have long hair if I wasn't doing this.