Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Horn Comb

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

rainkloud, if it's really bothering you, then don't get one. Wood combs (I've heard great things about ones from The Body Shop) are natural and vegan. Some people prefer them to horn, while others don't. There was a thread on the old LHC about this once, and I don't think any manufacturer gave us a more precise answer than soleluna's email. Once you either get more precise info from the vendors or perhaps try one for yourself before buying so you know if it's truly worth it, then it might be a better time to make the decision to get one.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    -/TB/Knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Horn Comb

Hm I have good news and bad news.. after reading this thread I had a sudden urge to get a horn comb and my (perfectly good) plastic comb was just no good anymore.

I ordered three combs (+ a pocket one) from Heavenly Harvest, yes it's a bit excessive but I figured they'd be so good that I'd need two, then ofcourse one for mum and one for little sister. It also worked out better for shipping.

Good news is they finally arrived today! YaY

Bad news is they are terrible >.< the edges are rough making me worry about for the safety of my hair and they scratch my scalp (and I don't even have a sensitive scalp)! I am rather annoyed, but I guess what works for some won't work for all ^.^

The only thing that's stopped me from kicking myself over this is the thought that I could probably swap the combs for something that *did* work (for me anyway). So if anyone would like to try a horn comb (three of which have not been removed from their paper backing) pls do not hesitate to drop me a line.

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Fantak View Post
    Bad news is they are terrible >.< the edges are rough making me worry about for the safety of my hair and they scratch my scalp (and I don't even have a sensitive scalp)! I am rather annoyed, but I guess what works for some won't work for all ^.^

The only thing that's stopped me from kicking myself over this is the thought that I could probably swap the combs for something that *did* work (for me anyway). So if anyone would like to try a horn comb (three of which have not been removed from their paper backing) pls do not hesitate to drop me a line.
    That's really strange... Mine was perfectly smooth when I got it... I can see it scraping your scalp as they are pointy... But, I wonder why yours are rough.

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

That seems odd to me too.

I mean, yes, they have a different shape to them, but mine was smooth and fine against my scalp (I like it to skritch a little!)
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    APL/APL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I LOVE my HH comb! I definitely think that it was worth the $15 total. I actually would like to buy 2 more. One for my purse and one for backup since I always seem to misplace mine

Length
    -/TB/Knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

This is really frustrating I'm honestly beginning to wonder if it's just me :/ What are the chances that all 4 are faulty! Maybe I just prefer plastic >.< It was the same with wooden combs, I can never find any I like because they all seem rough to me :s

JessTheMess: I'll send you two if you like and you can have a look, if they look ok then I guess we could swap for something, if not then you can keep them or ask for a replacement from HH it's just too much to pay for shipping again for me and I don't think I'd like them anyway :/

Length
    15/26/31
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I can only echo the other comments, my HH combs (2) were perfect. No rough edges at all. I bought mine a few months ago

Length
    ~20"/45"/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Darn enablers...

My Heavenly Harvest horn comb is on its way. Along with it will be a wooden comb to tray also. The prices are pretty reasonable though.

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Length
    -/TB/Knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

*sits down with horn comb in hand*

I'll try and explain what got me worried about rough sides/edges, maybe I'm just being paranoid:
    - When I run my finger along the side of the comb it doesn't feel as smooth as my plastic comb (for reference the plastic comb I use is a Mark Hill Anti-Static Wide Tooth Comb which is supposed to have a carbon coating over the plastic)
    - The ends of the teeth are little squares rather than rounded off, because they are squares they have sharp edges which feel like they're scratching my scalp.
    - Peering in between the teeth, they look even less smooth then the sides, also right at the top between the teeth it doesn't look like it has been smoothed out properly, this is clearer in the darker comb then in the cream coloured comb.

Does any of this sound normal? :s

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Fantak, between my tines I have ridges that look like file marks. The ends on a couple of my tines were kind of pointy (squared like yours), I filed a couple of them down, but looking at my comb now it seems they wore down on their own. The top inner edges look like they could be sharp but they are not at all. The entire exterior of my comb is smooth.