Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Family Ties to Long Hair or Are You Alone?

Default Re: Any Family Ties to Long Hair or Are You Alone?

Is your family mostly long-haired or short-haired? SHORT

Does the length of most of your family's hair affect your decision to grow your hair long? No

If everyone is basically a short hair, do they make good or bad comments that affect how you feel about your hair? My mom puts the pressure on once and a while for me to cut it, I do not listen though . I'm stubborn so, even when I was occasionally temped to cut I didn't out of sheer stubbornness which is good because I've always regretted it when I cut

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

My mother had the most beautiful hip-lengthed black straight virgin hair I've ever seen... until her MIL talked her into chopping it because 'you know you can cut your children's fingers off if they get caught on hair like that'. I only have the pictures left to inspire and frustrate me. After that, she never let it grow past shoulder. On her 45th birthday she got one of those old-lady-haircuts and was done with it forever. Today is her 50th birthday, I was with her on the phone one hour ago and she was telling me about needing another haircut soon...

With her background, I find it surprising that she shouldn't be happy about my long hair, but so it is. I see her about twice a year (with luck), and ALWAYS gives me the 'your hair is getting too long' thing with disaproving eyes. Almost first thing I hear after setting foot on her house: hair too long plus the you're too fat/too thin speech. My brother also let his hair grow for a couple of years, he reached what would be past BSL and it was a daily fight with my mother and aunts, with his girlfriend, his girlfriend's mother, his girlfriend's aunts... nightmare.

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Most of my family is short-haired - my sister sometimes grows her hair longish, but then cuts it again. Their take on my long hair is pretty much the same as their take on a lot of things I do - "there she goes, being a hippie chick again." Not in a negative way or anything, more matter-of-fact that I am overall sort of an oddball.

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

My maternal great-grandma is said to have had ankle length hair! Unfortunately I don't have a photo of her
    Last edited by Diamondbell; November 12th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.

Length
    25ish/35/40ish
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Is your family mostly long-haired or short-haired? --Mostly short. The average lenght is probably shoulder lenght.

Does the length of most of your family's hair affect your decision to grow your hair long? --Not at all.

If everyone is basically a short hair, do they make good or bad comments that affect how you feel about your hair? ---There are both good and bad ones.. Good ones are based on comments about the lenght, such as "Wow, you're hair is getting really long...". I know what you're thinking.. I'm not sure either whether those are good or bad comments. The bad ones are, so to speak, the usual ones like "You should cut it. I'll suit you more." or "Don't you see it as a burden? I'm sure there's a lot of work involved.. It gets tangled all the time, etc." or my personal favourite "Hm.. How much money exactly do you spend on shampoo each month..?" (God knows what they'd think if I tell them that I probably don't need more then a 12oz bottle for a year )

In the South where grits are a staple and frog legs are a delicacy.
    Length
    <1"/waist/btsme
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I'm alone, too. The only relative I can think of that had (has unless she cut it) longish hair was an aunt with almost BSL.

Their short hair doesn't sway me on bit. I've always done what I want with my appearance with or without their input.

Sometimes it gets frustrating that I can't talk with family members about hair, but not often.
    Last edited by Siava; November 12th, 2008 at 10:46 AM.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

M grandmother in my father's side had classic length hair but she died before I was born. She likely had the same hair type as me.
    That did not affect my decision to have long hair.

Most of my family currently has hair APL and shorter.

I usually get no comments n my hair. In general the only reactions are of the elderly female relatives reminiscing on when they were younger and most, including them, had long hair.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I am alone, in that I am the only one with hair longer than SPL. My SIL has SPL which she shreds into oblivion with perms and heat tools (like I used to when I was in my teens and 20's). My sis is growing her hair out right now (at least I think she still is, I haven't seen her in a couple of months). It was just about to SPL when I last saw her. My mom's mom had gorgeous long red (colored after she went gray) hair until she died, but she wore it up in a bun or twist at all times. I want to wear my hair in a long braid over my shoulder when I am a grandma. My dad's mom didn't have long hair (grew up in the 20's and never hair hair longer than shoulder), but she always loved my hair and gushed over it, until she had a stroke which took away her ability to talk.

I could not grow long hair when I was little because, frankly, it looked awful on me (extremely fine and greasy, what I would call lank at best). Also my mom didn't want to deal with the constant tangles. Then I tortured my hair for a couple of decades in the name of style and fashion. So, now that I finally feel comfortable making my own decisions, and not caring what others think of me, I am happy to have given myself permission to have as long of hair as I want.

No one in my family or my husband's family makes disparaging remarks about my hair, they wouldn't do that. They may comment about its length or about an updo/braid. Perhaps it's because I am the most dominant personality in my family, when I talk they listen (if they want to or not ) and generally don't want to miff me. My older sis is probably growing her hair out because she admires mine - she's never stated that, but that's what I suspect, she thinks I lead a more "glamorous" life than her - too funny. DH's family doesn't criticize the in-laws, only each other. Well, I know they criticize a bit behind other people's backs, but, eh, whatever.

Slow day: Didn't have much to do, so spent three hours on LHC. Busy day: Managed to work in three hours of LHC. Bad day: Barely squeezed in three hours on LHC.

Length
    Pit/Pit/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

I'm the only longhair. One of my cousins says she's going to grow her hair long, but she's notorious for getting bored and chopping. Her sister says she wishes hers was long like mine, but she doesn't treat it very well (bleaching and ironing).
    Nobody in my family is critical of my hair. My mom wants me to keep it long, but nobody else really says anything about it.
    I've always done with my hair what I felt inclined to do (except one time when I was a kid and my dad pretty much forced me to get a perm). Nobody else's opinion will sway me.
    Last edited by MadHatter; November 12th, 2008 at 11:40 AM.

Type
    1b/F/ii

my entire family is short-haired. the longest hair (apart from me) belongs to my 15-year old nephew who in tr00 metalhead way has about APL hair or somewhere between shoulder and APL.

all the women who are related to me have short hair.

I haven't received any comments from anyone though really. being the pierced, tattooed, black-clad and army-boot-wearing freak that I am, they have much more interesting things to say about me than my hair.

I do, however, have a very distant relative (who is not even related to me by blood but by several marriages, lol) who plays in the no.1 folk metal band in this country and his hair is... long. I don't know how long exactly. I've never even met him in person, but I'm a big fan.
    Last edited by vampodrama; November 12th, 2008 at 11:40 AM.