Thread: No EVOO ever for me again!

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default No EVOO ever for me again!

Just a little tale for your amusement:

A week ago, I decided to try out a honey lightning treatment. I mixed water, honey, ground cinnamon and a couple of drops of EEVO.

Bad, BAD idea. For some reason, it is next to impossible to get EEVO out of my hair. I took 5 (!) washes:

1. Diluted poo.
    2. Full strenght poo.
    3. Full strenght poo again.
    4. Now I got desperate and used ordinary dish drops. This made my hair freak out royally and it felt coated (?).
    5. Baking soda + water. After this = hair heaven again.

All this for nothing as the lightning only made my lenght seem more purple....
    Last edited by Hypnotica; November 11th, 2008 at 02:53 AM.
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: No EEVO ever for me again!

sorry to hear that. When I first started trying to oil my hair, I would often have trouble getting it out of my hair, too. Now I only use a teeny, tiny bit, maybe only once per wash cycle, and mist or use leave-in the rest of the time.

I envy those who can heavily oil their hair and get good results, like my dreadlocked former roommate who got me into natural hair care.

As for honey, it never lightened my hair either. I think the results are, at best, very very hard to control or rely upon. Sunlight, however, has helped me get some nice natural streaks....that do only come out on freshly washed hair.

No matter what, your hair is a stunning color. Wow. Very pretty indeed!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    sorry to hear that. When I first started trying to oil my hair, I would often have trouble getting it out of my hair, too. Now I only use a teeny, tiny bit, maybe only once per wash cycle, and mist or use leave-in the rest of the time.

I envy those who can heavily oil their hair and get good results, like my dreadlocked former roommate who got me into natural hair care.

As for honey, it never lightened my hair either. I think the results are, at best, very very hard to control or rely upon. Sunlight, however, has helped me get some nice natural streaks....that do only come out on freshly washed hair.

No matter what, your hair is a stunning color. Wow. Very pretty indeed!

Well, the honey and cinammon did provide me with a nice smell anyway...

Length
    22/36.6/44
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Yikes, that's not fun! I'm curious, though. What does EVOO do in a honey lightening treatment? Does it boost the effect of the honey or is it lightening on its own?

The same thing has happened to me once, not with EVOO, but when I tried a coconut milk soak. Nothing could get that stuff off my hair.

But, it could've been just a matter of choosing the right washing technique. I've used EVOO with scalp massaging and even left it on my hair for 30+ minutes. It only took one CO wash to get the oil off my hair. I was a little surprised, because conditioner doesn't have any real cleaning detergents. But it works.

Type
    1b/F/ii

ugh, yeah, I know what you mean.

it happens to me every time when I attempt to use any kind of oil in my hair.

Type
    1b/F/ii

EVOO and other slightly heavier oils like canola oil also sticks to my hair, at least they did back when I tested them I haven't tested them in ages, I'm happy with lighter oils like coconut oil and almond oil, they work great. I really see a difference between different oils and how they work.

Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Koskaan View Post
    Yikes, that's not fun! I'm curious, though. What does EVOO do in a honey lightening treatment? Does it boost the effect of the honey or is it lightening on its own?

The same thing has happened to me once, not with EVOO, but when I tried a coconut milk soak. Nothing could get that stuff off my hair.

But, it could've been just a matter of choosing the right washing technique. I've used EVOO with scalp massaging and even left it on my hair for 30+ minutes. It only took one CO wash to get the oil off my hair. I was a little surprised, because conditioner doesn't have any real cleaning detergents. But it works.
    Yep, it's added as a booster.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

From what i've read it seems that people find it harder to remove oils with shampoo and a CO wash is much more effective. I think i've used 'poo once or twice on oiled hair but then conditioned anyway so never noticed a problem.
    That said, i don't use EVOO so can't give specific advice on that, but i remove castor oil with a CO wash and i think that's one of the thickest oils i can think of.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    From what i've read it seems that people find it harder to remove oils with shampoo and a CO wash is much more effective. I think i've used 'poo once or twice on oiled hair but then conditioned anyway so never noticed a problem.
    That said, i don't use EVOO so can't give specific advice on that, but i remove castor oil with a CO wash and i think that's one of the thickest oils i can think of.
    Troublr is, I can't CO. My hair gets build-up after one try!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotica View Post
    Troublr is, I can't CO. My hair gets build-up after one try!
    What about using conditioner first to remove the oil....needs to be left on a while to be effective, then rinsing and doing a normal S&C afterwards? I'm not being like "you MUST use oil!" just thinking of ideas so that you have the option if you decide you want to
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.