I'm new to these forums, and I've noticed that bone and wood combs are very popular. From what I can gather, there are two reasons. First is they minimize the static electricity that some plastic are prone to, and second they glide through the hair easilly because they don't have any seams.

I've been using a comb like the J70 on this page since ~1996:
http://www.baysidebrushco.com/hairbr...rs_others.html

Is it really a bad idea that I use this comb? I'm skeptical about the amount of static it generates, but I looked closely last night, and there are very small ridges on the inside of every tine.

I really like the shape and feel of the comb. The tine width, spacing, and count are ideal IMHO. I've bought many other combs over the years, but none have ever felt as good as this one. I also like that it has a handle (I believe that makes it a "rake" style comb?)

So my question is, should I look into getting a new comb, or is this one OK? I do like the looks of some of the bone combs linked from these forums, but the wood ones don't look very appealing. The tine shape and density don't look like they would work very well.

I'm willing to take some sandpaper to the plastic comb to eliminate the ridges on the tines. Would that help? It wouldn't address the static electricity issue though. How can I tell if this is really an issue with this comb? I've never noticed any electricity being generated while combing my hair, but I've also never been on the lookout for it. Is there a way to test it?

Thanks for your help. I'm glad I found this forum, but I'm also starting to wish I hadn't a little. I've had long hair since 1991, and up until now, thought I was doing pretty well in taking care of it. I'm wondering if this wasn't a case of "ignorance is bliss" lol