Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comb question(s)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Default Comb question(s)

I'm new to these forums, and I've noticed that bone and wood combs are very popular. From what I can gather, there are two reasons. First is they minimize the static electricity that some plastic are prone to, and second they glide through the hair easilly because they don't have any seams.

I've been using a comb like the J70 on this page since ~1996:
    http://www.baysidebrushco.com/hairbr...rs_others.html

Is it really a bad idea that I use this comb? I'm skeptical about the amount of static it generates, but I looked closely last night, and there are very small ridges on the inside of every tine.

I really like the shape and feel of the comb. The tine width, spacing, and count are ideal IMHO. I've bought many other combs over the years, but none have ever felt as good as this one. I also like that it has a handle (I believe that makes it a "rake" style comb?)

So my question is, should I look into getting a new comb, or is this one OK? I do like the looks of some of the bone combs linked from these forums, but the wood ones don't look very appealing. The tine shape and density don't look like they would work very well.

I'm willing to take some sandpaper to the plastic comb to eliminate the ridges on the tines. Would that help? It wouldn't address the static electricity issue though. How can I tell if this is really an issue with this comb? I've never noticed any electricity being generated while combing my hair, but I've also never been on the lookout for it. Is there a way to test it?

Thanks for your help. I'm glad I found this forum, but I'm also starting to wish I hadn't a little. I've had long hair since 1991, and up until now, thought I was doing pretty well in taking care of it. I'm wondering if this wasn't a case of "ignorance is bliss" lol

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Comb question(s)

Try dragging some yarn through the tines, preferably something fluffy. If it catches on those ridges, you're shredding your hair by using the comb. You can certainly try sanding the ridges down if that's the case, then test with the yarn again.

Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Try dragging some yarn through the tines, preferably something fluffy. If it catches on those ridges, you're shredding your hair by using the comb. You can certainly try sanding the ridges down if that's the case, then test with the yarn again.
    Thanks spidermom

Too bad my daughter-in-law moved down to Phoenix. She liked to knit, so I could have got some yarn from her. Maybe I can find someone at work that has some.

btw, your hair is beautiful!

Length
    waist/TB/long

I would be concerned about those seams. You don't really have to spend much to get a good seamless comb. I recommend the little wooden comb the Body Shop sells for $6. I have a number of combs, all more costly than that, but I like and use the Body Shop one more than the others.

Caveat: A very few folks have said that theirs was not as smooth as they liked, but I think a quick swipe between the teeth with light sandpaper would resolve that. Mine is smooth as it is.

Banned
    Length
    < 10"/26.75/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Hayduke - static electricity is no great mystery. LOL

If you have flyaway hair, if your hair snaps and/or crackles when you comb it in the winter, if you actually SEE static charge, and/or if your hair "magically" flies up to attach itself to your hand and/or clothing and/or anything else nearby it..... then you have a static electricity problem with your hair.

If not - you don't.

If you have to ask - my guess is that it's not a problem for you.

Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I would be concerned about those seams. You don't really have to spend much to get a good seamless comb. I recommend the little wooden comb the Body Shop sells for $6. I have a number of combs, all more costly than that, but I like and use the Body Shop one more than the others.

Caveat: A very few folks have said that theirs was not as smooth as they liked, but I think a quick swipe between the teeth with light sandpaper would resolve that. Mine is smooth as it is.
    I looked at the pictures of that comb online, and based on what I like about my plastic comb, I don't think I would like the teeth on that wooden comb. The look like they taper too much. Of course they are cheap enough, that I might get one anyway. I think they may have opened a Bed, Bath and Beyond in my small town recently. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until the next time we go down to Phoenix or something.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieB View Post
    Hayduke - static electricity is no great mystery. LOL

If you have flyaway hair, if your hair snaps and/or crackles when you comb it in the winter, if you actually SEE static charge, and/or if your hair "magically" flies up to attach itself to your hand and/or clothing and/or anything else nearby it..... then you have a static electricity problem with your hair.

If not - you don't.

If you have to ask - my guess is that it's not a problem for you.
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I've never noticed it as a problem when I comb my hair. I do notice it when I brush/pet my dogs though. It's pretty dry here all the time since were a high altitude desert (7000ft), but I can keep an eye (and ear) out as it gets colder. It's pretty cold though already. It snowed on our mountain last night.

Length
    Short/35/Long
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

I personally don't see anything wrong with it?
    Alot of people here use combs similar to this one.
    There's also one called a Conair shower comb and I've heard discussions about it alot, and everything I've heard has been positive.

I did want to add that I have a comb very similar to the Conair comb & while I was very happy with it, I decided to give a horn comb a try. I have not used anything in my hair since!
    Yes, they are that good. So maybe if you have the extra cash on hand or someone is asking what they can get you for a gift, maybe that would be a good chance to try one?
    That way you'll have one of each & can compare.

The static can happen during the winter months, but you'll know if you have it.
    If you have ever rubbed a balloon against your hair and watch is adhere to the balloon, that's static electricity.
    Your hair will be flyaway and will "stick" to things:
    sofa, clothes, sheets, etc.
    *If* you do have it, just spritz your comb or hair with some type of leave-in before combing and this should cure it.

I've also combated static by just applying lotion to my hands and then before it completely soaks in, just run my hands over my hair.
    That seems to help keep it under control.
    Last edited by chelles2kids; November 6th, 2008 at 07:50 AM.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chelles2kids View Post
    I personally don't see anything wrong with it?
    Alot of people here use combs similar to this one.
    There's also one called a Conair shower comb and I've heard discussions about it alot, and everything I've heard has been positive.

I did want to add that I have a comb very similar to the Conair comb & while I was very happy with it, I decided to give a horn comb a try. I have not used anything in my hair since!
    Yes, they are that good. So maybe if you have the extra cash on hand or someone is asking what they can get you for a gift, maybe that would be a good chance to try one?
    That way you'll have one of each & can compare.

The static can happen during the winter months, but you'll know if you have it.
    If you have ever rubbed a balloon against your hair and watch is adhere to the balloon, that's static electricity.
    Your hair will be flyaway and will "stick" to things:
    sofa, clothes, sheets, etc.
    *If* you do have it, just spritz your comb or hair with some type of leave-in before combing and this should cure it.

I've also combated static by just applying lotion to my hands and then before it completely soaks in, just run my hands over my hair.
    That seems to help keep it under control.
    Thanks!

So maybe the ridges are a bigger issue then the static potential of the plastic. I realize it's psychological, as nothing has changed, but now I think I can feel the comb tugging a bit

I probably will try a horn/bone comb anyway. They are very attractive (yes I'm a guy, but I still like pretty things sometimes hehe). I'll just have to study the pictures on the internet a lot I guess since there is no way a store in my little town will sell them. I'll basically be looking for something with the same dimensions as my current plastic comb, ie long tines of medium/narrow width and moderate spacing with a nice handle. I know I don't care for the kind without a handle. Perhaps it's my technique, but when I try to use that style, I end up with some of the hair getting in between my hand and the comb. With the handle, I can keep my hand further away from the hair. I'm too picky lol

I use this right now:
    http://www.baysidebrushco.com/images/brushes/j70.jpg
    Anyone know of a horn/bone comb with similar shape and size? For reference, the comb is 9" long and the tines and handle are both 4.5". Bigger is OK too, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't like smaller.

Thanks again for the help everyone (I like this smiley hehe)

Length
    Short/35/Long
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

This is the one that I have:
    http://heavenlyharvestinc.com/catalo...roducts_id/119

don't let the "women's comb" part make you think it is feminine in any way.
    It isn't. It's a very basic comb with widely spaced teeth, but not as widely space as your detangling comb.

They have two different ones and this one has the wider teeth of the two.
    (I highly recommend this company, they have excellent customer service!)
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chelles2kids View Post
    This is the one that I have:
    http://heavenlyharvestinc.com/catalo...roducts_id/119

don't let the "women's comb" part make you think it is feminine in any way.
    It isn't. It's a very basic comb with widely spaced teeth, but not as widely space as your detangling comb.

They have two different ones and this one has the wider teeth of the two.
    (I highly recommend this company, they have excellent customer service!)
    Thanks. I did see that site, but I want a comb with a handle. I'm considering ordering something from one of these sites:
    http://www.hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm
    http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page232.html

Probably get a couple different styles as it's hard to tell the scale from a picture.