Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Flax seed gel

Length
    31.5/32.1/35.5
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Flax seed gel

As soon as I've used up my Aloe Vera gel, I'm going to try this out... it's just way cheaper! (at least from my German point of view...) Flax seed gel has about the same qualities as Aloe Vera, right?

Length
    15 in/28 in/30 in
    Type
    2b/M/ii

For me it gave control, shine, and a fairly firm hold.

I did this once when trying to do fingerwaves. I had a hard time separating the seeds after boiling it to a gel. I was using a metal strainer and I really had to try to force the gel through it. I think I will try the other methods written here if I do it again sometime. Now I don't use any styling at all regularly. Very rarely I use conventional spray or mousse, but I would rather have flax in my hair than chemical nastyness. I like the smell of the flax gel. It's soft and pleasant.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Nayver helped me with that straining problem! The trick is to take it off the heat before it coagulates too much. Then it is still runny enough to go through your strainer easily!

Can you do this with milled flax seed? That's all I have, but it is pretty oily.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Hm, I don't see why not....give it a try!

Type
    2a/M/ii

In my experience, ground flax seed will give you sort of flax mush/porridge--nice as a gentle facial scrub, but not suitable for hair (no way to strain out the little bits of seed) but it may depend on how you prepare it.

Length
    16 "/20"/30"
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by longhairedfairy View Post
    Can you do this with milled flax seed? That's all I have, but it is pretty oily.
    I don't think is a good idea. It is better with the entire seeds. (I don't know is this is the right word) Otherwise you will have like a mash and the residues will remain on your hair.

I tried this a long time ago and I remember liking it. In fact, I like it a lot more than aloe gel. I've tried aloe so many different ways, and I just can't get it to work right for when I leave my hair down. Luckily it works great for smoothing updos, but I love the idea of using a natural gel when my hair is down. Mmmm, flax gel with lavender EO....

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

So how do you store this and how long does it keep for? I'm going to experiment next weekend, I should have used up all of my aloe gel by then.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!