Page 132 of 529 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 5285

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Beware Of The Beagles Alley Cat's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Alley Cat

The minimum amount of honey to use is 10 grams.

"The overview of the method.

.... honey (preferably 10 grams) .... mix with 4 times that amount of water .... generate hydrogen-peroxide ...."
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~jtemp/H2O2.html

According to this - that is 1/2 tablespoon- you would need 40 ml or 40 grams of water. Scroll down to the 1st conversion table.
    http://www.traditionaloven.com/conve...surements.html

You can make the recipe whatever size you need - as long as you use the right amount of water.

And based on Jan in ID's results - distilled water is proving itself.
    Ok thank you. I am using distilled water now too.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Honey thread

Alley Cat

The honey lightening recipes have always been sizable - many though like to use certain quantities.

The only minimum I recommend is the 10 grams or 1/2 tablespoon of honey.

Go from there with the conversion tables - I found the calculator a pain - and you should be fine.

With the cost of Jarrah honey for example and distilled water - excellent that you are using it by the way - wasting product is not good IMO.

You determine for yourself how much you need to use and make the recipe accordingly.
    Last edited by ktani; June 22nd, 2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    18"/20"/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by mommy2one05 View Post
    Wow! You got some really great lightening results. When you say your dh uses the mister on your hair....do you mist it and leave it down or you soak it and put it up and wrap it? What do the oils do to the mix? Is cinnamon powder and cinnamon extract (like you cook with) the same or similar?

Thanks!
    I don't use a mister, I just use a squirt bottle (it looks like a ketchup/mustard bottle) I picked up at Wal-Mart in the kitchen section.
    My DH just helps me out by applying the mixture to my hair and mixing it around while I have my head bent over the bathtub. It saves a lot of mess and makes sure I get all of my hair saturated. (gotta love the guy!).

I then pile my hair on top of my head and put on a plastic cap and then cover that with a towel to help catch the drips.
    I leave it on for 2 hours and then wash, rinse, wash, rinse and so on.

I think ktani has answered your other questions. This thread is where I got the recipe I use.
    Last edited by Jan in ID; June 22nd, 2008 at 09:37 AM.

Length
    18"/20"/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Alley Cat View Post
    With the new measuring requirement you would have a lot more liquid I might try the 1/8 of a cup next time which would mean needing 170g of water and see if that is enough to cover my hair, I think it would be. I had heaps of mixture left last time which I re added half way through but it seemed to just drip away. Is 1/8 of honey enough or is it better with the 1/4 a cup and just not bother about the waste ? What do you think?

My batch makes too much also.
    I thought I had read that I needed to use a minimum of 1/4 of honey, but I must have been mistaken.
    I will cut my recipe in half next week.
    I have some honey I am wanting to try, but it's twice the price of my regular honey.
    It's called Really Raw Honey and it tastes great!
    http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/Mercha...Store_Code=RRH

It tastes so good that I didn't want to waste it on my hair! Using 1/4 cup at a time, it would go pretty fast!
    I may try this next week just to see if it makes any difference.

Length
    18"/20"/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

This is a picture of the type of bottle I use, but mine is clear.
    Once I have perfected my recipe, I am going to mark the bottle with the measurments I use. That way I can just pour my ingredients directly into the bottle instead of measuring each item everytime.

Default Honey thread

Jan in ID

Thank you for the added details and pictures of the type of bottles, the same except for the colour, to your application bottle.

You obviously did every thing right in your recipe and method - including covering your hair with plastic - which I am not sure is needed if the recipe sat for 1 hour in advance - to develop the honey's full proxide value - but it is handy for the drips.

The only things I recommend are - as I said - mixing the cinnamon into the distilled water after you have added the honey - to make a smoother solution.

And increasing the amount of water to honey by weight - you can convert that to ml - for the correct 4 parts water to 1 part honey dilution.

I think that will yield even better results.

You can also patch test and try ground cardamom - not the seed. Ground cardamom has been reported here to work beautifully, to help lighten hair with honey, and it has also been reported to wash out of the hair much easier than cinnamon.

I recommend McCormick ground cardamom - DolphinPrincess used it - and had no irritation - cinnamon did not work for her and did cause irritation. GlennaGirl used a different ground cardamom and did have irritation, while ground cinnamon was no problem for her. Patch testing is very much recommended though.
    http://www.mccormick.com/recipelist....2&display=site

DolphinPrincess results - you do not have to use chamomile tea - if you do - prepare it with distilled water and cool it to room temperature before adding the honey and cardamom.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=916

Some of the recipes used here have used 1/4 cup of honey. I think that is where the confusion came from with that amount.

I had mistakenly said that 10 grams of honey = 1/8th cup - as the recommended minimum amount of honey to be used.

10 grams of honey is still the recommended minimum but it is actually equal to 1/2 tablespoon.

"Honey volume vs. weight conversions
    tablespoon - 0.06 - 21g"
    http://www.traditionaloven.com/conve...surements.html

IMO, 2 hours is not necessary for a treatment with the 4 to 1 dilution but it is not a problem.
    Last edited by ktani; June 22nd, 2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added link and text

Default Honey thread

Jan in ID

As to the honey - by all means experiment - but the honey that you have been using is excellent IMO.

I think that the really expensive honeys are best kept for either eating or like UMF manuka honey - for medicinal use.

Both raw and pasteurized honeys have been reported in all Honey threads to work equally well - the cheap versions of both too.

The exception to expense and it will be the shipping costs - not the honey - is Jarrah honey.

With its known high peroxide value - I highly recommend trying it as a honey option.
    Last edited by ktani; June 22nd, 2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: adjust text

Default Honey thread

Length
    18"/20"/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Thanks for the info on castor oil.
    I think I will stick with my CV bars though. They do great thing for my hair.

Default Honey thread

Jan in ID

Your hair is beautiful and you got great honey lightening results IMO.

I only wanted you to be aware that CV bars have been reported to darken hair - probably because of the castor oil - and castor oil has been reported to darken hair too.