Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat darkening henna - how to avoid?

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Default Heat darkening henna - how to avoid?

Hey soo you know how heat can darken henna, like the use of heat appliances, for example. I first read about this in Ancient sunrise blog and then I did an experiment: i collected hair from my brush, dyed it with henna and then used a flat iron on half of the hair sample. And indeed it got signifantly darker and slightly more brown. I thought maybe it just speeded the oxidation. So I waited the henna to oxidize for a week and then the both parts almost matched; the heated part was still slightly darker but they were both kind chestnut brown, as that is the color i usually get from pure henna on my dark blonde hair. I then applied flat iron on the already heated part. And it got again darker, again! It was winey dark, sort of mahogany. Good news for those who want their henna darker. I don't.

I really wanna use henna and indigo on my hair but i am terrified of the color getting too dark. I love sauna and I go every week. I don't use a flat iron often but I wanna have the option of using it, as well as curling iron and hair dryer. And if I add indigo to the mix, I won't be able to easily lighten the color IF it gets too dark.

How do you guys cope with this? Or have you noticed this happening? Anything that can help with this? It says on the ancient sunrise blog that even sun exposure can darken henna. And that it's irreversible. Once it gets dark, it stays dark. And i did see it with my own eyes, on the hair collected from my head...it was instant darkening. It was almost like magic. But while I love dark hair, it hate the light root growth I get so dark hair is not an option for me now.

And here the link to the post: https://www.ancientsunrise.blog/dark...and-oxidation/
    There is a pic of the heat treated henna hair sample that looked a bit like mine.

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: Heat darkening henna - how to avoid?

I know I've never noticed this. In fact, I blow my bangs dry every 3-7ish days and I just get the normal oxidation after henna'ing and it doesn't get darker after that.

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by WednesdayAddams View Post
    I know I've never noticed this. In fact, I blow my bangs dry every 3-7ish days and I just get the normal oxidation after henna'ing and it doesn't get darker after that.
    I know this doesn't happen to a lot of people. I am so confused as to why this is happening to some, like me. And what other people are doing differently so they don't experience that darkening. I wonder if it's something to do with how henna is mixed. Do you mix your henna with water or something acidic?

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pullanmuru View Post
    I know this doesn't happen to a lot of people. I am so confused as to why this is happening to some, like me. And what other people are doing differently so they don't experience that darkening. I wonder if it's something to do with how henna is mixed. Do you mix your henna with water or something acidic?
    Hi -- I just mix with warm water. Not hot. Then I let it sit for about 4 hours. Most hennas will release for me by then. I apply and leave on for 2-3 hours. I don't wash for about 5 days, but that's because I only wash that often as my regular routine.

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Hi -- I just mix with warm water. Not hot. Then I let it sit for about 4 hours. Most hennas will release for me by then. I apply and leave on for 2-3 hours. I don't wash for about 5 days, but that's because I only wash that often as my regular routine.
    Thanks for your reply! With my experiment I also used just warm water. Do you ever use heat on your hair during those 5 days after?

I think I'm gonna need to do more experiments

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Thanks for your reply! With my experiment I also used just warm water. Do you ever use heat on your hair during those 5 days after?

I think I'm gonna need to do more experiments
    Yes, experiment! Start collecting shed hair. I think this could be great info for this community.

I usually don't use heat before my first post-henna wash, but I've done it a few times for various reasons. Usually because my bangs won't behave, LOL. At those times i got desperate and used a flat iron probably the second or third day after. Otherwise, I don't let a flat iron anywhere near my head. I don't want the damage.

Have you tried not using any heat at all for a week or so?

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

My understanding is that it is the heat when applied while the henna is in the hair, not when the paste has already been removed.

If you use products with ingredients that contain citric acid, they usually wear down the color and it becomes lighter or hibiscus mask. It is not permanent because the color tends to wear off.
    SHAVED june 2020 ~ MBL ~ goal WL
    On the floating, shapeless oceans
    I did all my best to smile

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Greengable View Post
    My understanding is that it is the heat when applied while the henna is in the hair, not when the paste has already been removed.
    I mean after the paste has been removed and the hair is dry, even after it has been normally oxidized.

It states on the Ancient Sunrise blog: "Henna will oxidize quickly and permanently when exposed to high heat. The occasional blow-dry is nothing to worry about, but styling tools such as curlers and flat irons will cause noticeable darkening within a few uses. Consider other options for straightening or curling that involve gentler heat or air-drying. Some henna users report that spending a large amount of time in the sun seemed to darken their hair. If you live in hot, sunny areas, you may consider a hat or scarf if you plan to be outside for extended time. On the bright side, henna is a great natural SPF, so if your hair is exposed to sun, it may darken but will not be damaged.

There is no easy fix for oxidation caused by heat."

And my own experiment proved that the heat from flat iron darkened the color even to an even darker shade than what was the oxidized color. So it's not that the heat just speeds up the normal oxidation process, it goes beyond that.

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Yes, experiment! Start collecting shed hair. I think this could be great info for this community.

I usually don't use heat before my first post-henna wash, but I've done it a few times for various reasons. Usually because my bangs won't behave, LOL. At those times i got desperate and used a flat iron probably the second or third day after. Otherwise, I don't let a flat iron anywhere near my head. I don't want the damage.

Have you tried not using any heat at all for a week or so?
    I may have to try that as well. I did my earlier experiments on freshly dyed and air dryed hair samples.

Over the last weekend I did do this same heat test on couple of hair samples that I had tried different combinations of plant dyes on. Both mixes had some cassia, indigo and henna. Both had fairly small amount of henna compared to cassia and indigo. And even tho I ran my flat iron several times over the test samples, I saw no darkening whatsoever. So it seems that it only happens with henna. I'm gonna need to collect more hair to do more tests. I do this for fun lol.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I mean after the paste has been removed and the hair is dry, even after it has been normally oxidized.

It states on the Ancient Sunrise blog: "Henna will oxidize quickly and permanently when exposed to high heat. The occasional blow-dry is nothing to worry about, but styling tools such as curlers and flat irons will cause noticeable darkening within a few uses. Consider other options for straightening or curling that involve gentler heat or air-drying. Some henna users report that spending a large amount of time in the sun seemed to darken their hair. If you live in hot, sunny areas, you may consider a hat or scarf if you plan to be outside for extended time. On the bright side, henna is a great natural SPF, so if your hair is exposed to sun, it may darken but will not be damaged.

There is no easy fix for oxidation caused by heat."

And my own experiment proved that the heat from flat iron darkened the color even to an even darker shade than what was the oxidized color. So it's not that the heat just speeds up the normal oxidation process, it goes beyond that.
    Wow thank you I dindn't notice it! I don't use heat but sun never darkenned my henna, maybe because here sun is not very strong lol.
    SHAVED june 2020 ~ MBL ~ goal WL
    On the floating, shapeless oceans
    I did all my best to smile