Page 86 of 523 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    LadyPolaris

I did not mean to imply that after an hour the peroxide degrades.

I just do not think that leaving the treatment on the hair longer than 1 hour is necessary. (...)

I think that you could also switch from cinnamon to cardamom as a spice booster, after patch testing it first.

I think that it is a better choice. I do not think that it is potentially as much of an irritant and it might yield even better results.
    Got it. I think I'm doing these 3 hour treatments more out of habit (used to leaving henna in for hours on end) than out of logic, but as long as it doesn't do any harm I'll probably keep them 2 or 3 hours long.

I'd love to try cardamom. Next time I go by spices I'll try to find some! I'm not sure if it's sold here though, I never looked for it before.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennaGirl
    LadyPolaris, I can't wait to see how your hair comes out.

What do you all think of my using a spray bottle? Would the cinnamon "grits" be tiny enough to get through the sprayer along with the water/honey?
    Thank you I can't wait either! Hopefully tomorrow will bring some good light in so I can post a better picture.

The cinnamon grits were enough to clog from time to time the nozzle of that large syringe I was using to put the mix in my hair. I think a spray bottle wouldn't get the little bits through at all... sorry! But the spray bottle is an excellent idea, much more practical. Maybe cardamom won't be so gritty?

Sun, wind, and hennaed hair! (1b, F/M, i/ii) ~THANK YOU TLHC!~

Length
    short/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I was curious about honey for lightening and decided to try it... I kind of ended up mad scientist like and didn't follow the recipes though...

1 ounce of honey
    1 ounce of extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon of cinnamon
    2 ounces of water
    and just cause it was there and I like the smell, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves

I haven't washed it out yet... but it smells good!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Honey thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I was curious about honey for lightening and decided to try it... I kind of ended up mad scientist like and didn't follow the recipes though...

1 ounce of honey
    1 ounce of extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon of cinnamon
    2 ounces of water
    and just cause it was there and I like the smell, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves

I haven't washed it out yet... but it smells good!
    Gabriel

Thank you for posting your recipe.

I wish you luck with this - the recipe is a bit heavy on the oil and IMO, 50% short on the water needed to achieve maximum potential lightening but it does sound like it would smell very good. Depending on the honey, I think you can get lightening from it, if you keep the treatment wet while it is on your hair - covering your hair with plastic is recommended.

Please let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by ktani; May 21st, 2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: clarification

Default Honey thread

The Successful Honeys List - honeys reported to work well in honey lightening recipes.

As you can see there are more brand names than types of honey - that does not matter - the brand is important too - different brands of clover honey for example have been reported to work differently.

Australia
    Coles (Australian supermarket) own brand Organic honey
    Jarrah honey

Barnes Honey available at Coles Supermarkets

Brazil
    Bio21 orange blossom honey

Finland
    SAM honey

SAM Gourmet Italian forest honey (Italian metsä hunaja)

Italy
    black locust honey

New Zealand
    manuka honey

North America (Canada and the U.S.)
    honey in bear shaped plastic bottle from Walmart

Billy Bee clover honey

Roundy's Grade A honey (Canadian, generic store brand)

Norway
    Ekte honning honey

Poland
    Raw wildflower honey

UK
    Aldi "Specially Selected Clover Honey"

Asda's own brand "Clear Honey" (a blend of EC and non EC honey) No honey residue reported.

Gale's 100% honey (a blend of EC and non-EC honeys)

Sainsburys Basics brand honey

Waitrose Wildflower honey

U.S.
    Acme Brand Clover honey

Ambrosia Honey Co. honey

America's Choice Pure Honey

Aunt Sue's Raw All Natural honey

Aunt Sue's Raw Wild Natural honey

Burleson's Grade A Fancy clover honey

Busy Bee clover honey

Capilano Australian honey, from Kroger

Hannaford Brand honey, in a bear bottle

Honey Bee clover honey

Hyvee brand honey

Laney brand alfalfa honey

Naturally Preferred Fireweed honey (Fred Meyer and Kroger stores)

Nature's Energy honey (Natures grocery store)

Ralph's brand pure clover honey

raw, unpasteurized, blackberry honey, clover honey, orange blossom honey, tupelo honey, wildflower honey

Really Raw brand honey (goldenrod, aster and wildflower)

Safeway clover honey

Save Mart honey, in a bear bottle

Stater Brothers honey

Stoller's Busy Bee - Bear shaped container

Sue Bee clover honey

Target's Market Pantry honey (In a little bear bottle)

Trader Joe's 100% desert mesquite honey, clover blossom honey

Wegmans' brand Clover honey

Western Family Clover honey

Whole Foods 365 Organic Wildflower honey

Whole Foods Wildflower Amber honey
    Last edited by ktani; March 25th, 2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added another honey

Default Honey thread

I am making another new recommendation.

Because it has not been reported to be irritating so far, and because of its very high peroxide level (compared to other spices), I now recomend using cardamom instead of cinnamon.

I am trying to eliminate potential problems with honey lightening.

Conditioners were the first problem, with possible ingredients that could interfere with lightening and now with their water content.

Eliminating conditioners from the recipes solves both problems. They no longer serve a purpose in the recipes with the new dilution, IMO.

Cinnamon irritation has been mentioned in reports frequently. Thankfully, the problem has been temporary but to me, it is troubling.

Replacing cinnamon with cardamom makes sense to me at this time.

DolphinPrincess has used cardamom a few times now in her mixes, even in the 4 parts water to 1 part honey dilutions, with no reported problems, to date.

She had major irritation previously from using cinnamon, that cleared up quickly but was alarming.

Cardamom may even take honey lightening to the next level.

Please do not use too much cardamom until you know how well you can tolerate it and of course, patch test it first.

Cardamom has traditionally been used to whiten teeth and freshen breath (chewing the seeds) and has been used to treat redness on skin.

POV - Peroxide value of spices. Cardamom has the highest peroxide level listed here - its small Vitamin C content IMO, should be compensated for by its POV. The other spices listed with high POV's can be irritants.
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=KZa8...Ot2tkeW4&hl=en
    Last edited by ktani; May 21st, 2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: clarification

Type
    1c/F/i

Just wanted to add, I tried a second treatment tonight but this time with Cinnamon as I didn't have any Cardamom. I found it very irritating too. My scalp got sore quite quickly.

Also, I used a mister for the last treatment and I found it worked very well. This time it got clogged almost immediately.

Lady Sulevia of the Healing Hands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Default Honey thread

Quote Originally Posted by kimki View Post
    Just wanted to add, I tried a second treatment tonight but this time with Cinnamon as I didn't have any Cardamom. I found it very irritating too. My scalp got sore quite quickly.

Also, I used a mister for the last treatment and I found it worked very well. This time it got clogged almost immediately.
    kimki

Thank you for posting that.

How does your scalp feel now?

Cinnamon can be a problem.

The mister might not work with cardamom for application.

I think the trade off though in results will be worth using a tint or blush brush instead, before covering the hair with plastic - a bag or wrap.

I do not recommend misting an uncovered treatment to keep it moist - for those who do so as a method.

The hair needs to be wet without interruption IMO, covered with plastic, during the treatment.
    Last edited by ktani; May 21st, 2008 at 02:07 PM.

Type
    1c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    kimki

Thank you for posting that.

How does your scalp feel now?

Cinnamon can be a problem.

The mister might not work with cardamom for application.

I think the trade off though in results will be worth using a tint or blush brush instead, before covering the hair with plastic - a bag or wrap.

I do not recommend misting an uncovered treatment to keep it moist - for those who use this method.

The hair needs to be wet without interruption IMO, covered with plastic, during the treatment.
    My scalp is fine now thank you. But I did rinse with quite a bit of cold water before it stopped stinging. With the mister the other day, I put the mix in the mister, stood over the sink and used it to spray all over, massaging it in. Then I covered the hair with cling film. Perhaps a brush would work better as I am trying to concentrate on the henna round the back of my hair as my roots are actually a little blonder.

Default Honey thread

kimki

I am glad to read that you like others, suffered no lasting effects from cinnamon irritation.

However, do not use cinnamon again IMO, if you run out of cardamom.

Replace it with a bit of extra virgin olive oil if you can or coconut oil or do without a peroxide booster.

I think that using chamomile tea as the water base wih cardaomom is a good idea - it counters irritation and may contribute to ligtening.

I think because you massaged in the mix, that may have helped cause extra irritation with the cinnamon.

What I love about the brush technique - is the control factor - you can put the honey lightening treatment where you want it to be on your hair.

Type
    1c/F/i

Thank you Ktani I will be getting some more cardamom instead. It's a shame because I really like the smell of the cinnamon.