Page 232 of 529 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 5285

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Quote Originally Posted by Jorchet View Post
    Not yet, but I did buy deionized water last weekend and I'll see if I can give it a go today. I'll report back.
    Good luck

I look for ward to your new results.

Honey lightening can be done repeatedly with no worries about hair damage.

There have been no reports of hair damage from honey lightening in all 5 Honey threads to date, (the first Honey thread was started December 2006) including this one, no matter how long a treatment is left on the hair or how often it is done. The research that supports this is in this thread and the Honey Article. There have been no reports of honey damaging hair in other threads on these boards, when accidental lightening has been reported to have occurred.

Honey residue can leave the hair dry and hair ends stiff. This result is temporary and can be easily resolved by shampooing. There have been 0 lasting effects reported when this is done, with 1 exception, where there was an unusual amount of residue that responded to shampoo but was still difficult to deal with.

Not all honeys leave a discernable residue that reqires shampooing out. Both raw and pasteurized honeys, cheap and expensive ones, can leave a residue. The amount of residue depends on the honey but there is no one type or brand of honey that has been singled out to leave more residue than others.

It is important to rinse the hair well but honey residue is best removed by shampoo, based on reports.
    Last edited by ktani; April 10th, 2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: update

Even when honey lightening has not yielded expected lightening, it has been reported to be conditioning to hair.

Honey lightening has not been reported to make already damaged hair worse.

Just the opposite, honey lightening has been reported to make already damaged hair softer. This will of course, depend on the amount of damage and the hair of the individual.

I have saved and I reread all of the Honey threads as needed, to go over previous reports, and for this thread, I keep records of posts. I also make it a point to ask about the condition of the hair following honey lightening, and this being a website about hair and its condition, people also volunteer that kind of information.
    Last edited by ktani; October 1st, 2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: reduced text

I find these research breakthrough reports by P&G fascinating.

This one has everything from the latest on danfruff to wrinkes, colour-treated and more.

Highlights

"The images .... below illustrate changes between non-color treated and color treated hair: on the right, bleach damaged hair fibers .... become hydrophilic as seen in the flattened-out shape and acute contact angle. on the left, undamaged hair fibers repel the water.... it stays in a tight sphere with an obtuse contact angle."

"Good skin care and sun protection habits .... help keep you looking more youthful longer, no matter what your genetic inventory"

"In a breakthrough genomic discovery recently published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), scientists from P&G Beauty successfully sequenced the entire genome of the fungus Malassezia globosa (M. globosa) .... responsible for the onset of dandruff and other conditions in humans ...."
    http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/breakthroughs-xiv.html

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    As far as I know, filtered water does not remove minerals, just impurities. Distilled or deionized water has no mineral content.

Filtered water does not change the pH of your tap water, depending on the system (reverse osmosis can) and unless the water ph is 7 or higher, with a very low to no mineral content, it would not be suitable for honey lightening, even with the new dilution, IMO.

Distilled water used with the new dilution, has been reported to work much better with honey lightening, than filtered water.
    ok, thanks. i will try to get some distilled water, then.

Quote Originally Posted by hennabrain View Post
    ok, thanks. i will try to get some distilled water, then.
    You are most welcome.

Distilled or deionized water should work well. I recommend distilled if it is available.

"Myth: Low ammonia .... better for .... hair.
    Fact: All combinations of ammonia as well as MEA, another alkali, can damage hair because of their high pH level. The damage, a function of peroxide, occurs from the chemicals formed when the mixed peroxide and alkali come in contact with the hair. ... primary benefit of low ammonia is less odor."
    http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/fact-...-revealed.html

One of the reactions that happens from the peroxide/bleach combination, is the formation of free radicals, which the chelants in honey lightening recipe ingredients, used as a pre treatment, like coconut oil, help protect the hair from.
    Last edited by ktani; October 1st, 2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: adjust text

More news from this thread, Pages 6 & 7, a report from FrannyG.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...t=10495&page=6

A breakdown of the newest honey lightening recommendations, which have been reported to be working out very well. This is all in the recommendations post in my signature.

Patch test any of the ingredients not previously used on scalp or skin.

1. Choose a honey - the Successful Honeys List
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ount=856itamin

If one cannot be found - try a dark coloured honey blend - raw or pasteurized - both have been reported to work equally well. Dark coloured blends were reported in research, to have higher peroxide levels than lighter coloured blends. A dark coloured, single source honey, does not necessarily have a high peroxide value - it depends on the plant source.

Jarrah honey - highly recommended - it has a very high peroxide value. More information and suppliers can be found here.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1266

Some honeys naturally contain higher levels of Vitamin C. Avoid using Anzer, buckwheat, linden flower, locust flower, mint and thyme honeys.

2. Use distilled water only. It contains no minerals. Minerals can deplete the recipe peroxide (so can Vitamin C, see #5). Conditioner is no longer recommended for honey lightening. Its pH, ingredients and per centage of water can interfere with results. The same applies to coconut cream and milk (they also contain minerals and can contain Vitamin C, as well as not enough water to properly dilute honey).

3. Use the new dilution (4 x the amount of water to honey by weight) - e.g. 1/8 cup honey needs 3/4 cup US (1/2 cup Metric) or 12 tablespoons distilled water. 50 g honey needs 200 g distilled water etc. Here is a conversion link.
    http://www.traditionaloven.com/conve...surements.html

4. Do not apply heat to any of the recipe ingredients at any time. Peroxide containing boosters are ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil.

5. Do not add lemon juice, or any other ingredient that contains Vitamin C to a recipe, like tomato products, which are no longer recommended. Hydrogen peroxide oxidizes Vitamin C, and is depleted in doing so.

6. Mix the treatment at room temperature and let it sit for 1 hour, also at room temperature, to allow the honey to produce peroxide in advance of application or use it right away and the honey will produce peroxide while on the hair.

7. Apply the treatment to wet or dry hair if there is no aloe gel on it - aloe gel contains Vitamin C, or a leave-in treatment with Vitamin C, heavy residue, or a large amount of oil on the hair (a large amount of oil will act as a barrier to the water). If there is, wash or rinse the hair first. The treatment can be applied with a tint, blush, pastry brush and/or a spray or squirt bottle.

8. Pin up, then cover the hair securely with plastic (wearing a swim cap is recommended), to keep it out of the way, competely wet (the hair needs to be very wet with the treatment, both before and while covered) and contain drips. Leave the treatment on the hair for about 1 hour.