Page 101 of 529 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 5285

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    The minimum amount of honey to use, based the research link I based the 4 parts water to 1 part honey dilution on, says 1/8 cup or 10 grams.
    Hey, I'm not sure I knew this before, learn something new everyday (or hour) around here.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Honey thread

kimki

I suggest that if you do - if you can - that you use 1/4 cup honey and increase the liquid - use chamomile tea - to help with any irritation - 1 cup.

Beware Of The Beagles Alley Cat's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I did my 3rd honey treatment today 1/4 cup of honey, 1 cup of chamomile tea, 1 tab cinnamon, 1 tab EVOO and left for over an hour and a 1/2. I don't see a change in colour , but when I asked husband if it looks lighter than when I first had it coloured he said yes it does. He thinks it is just probably fading from washing though. It's hard to say really with hair this colour , he said it's not as black as it was looking when you first coloured it
    I had a lot of trouble getting the cinnamon out which I didn't happen when I used conditioner in fact the cinnamon mixed well in the conditioner but not well in the water mix , it was lumpy . I got out of the shower to discover bits still through out my hair, so I combed it and poured more water on it and combed again . A real pain it was.
    I was wondering if I continued with the chamomile tea if I could add the cinnamon to the hot water while it's brewing to see if that would make it mix in better. I don't know whether it would or whether that would affect how the cinnamon works as a lightening agent. ?
    I can't get cardamon I looked in the supermarket and in a health food shop and there was none and I bought a couple of bags of cinnamon.

Default Honey thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alley Cat View Post
    I did my 3rd honey treatment today 1/4 cup of honey, 1 cup of chamomile tea, 1 tab cinnamon, 1 tab EVOO and left for over an hour and a 1/2. I don't see a change in colour , but when I asked husband if it looks lighter than when I first had it coloured he said yes it does. He thinks it is just probably fading from washing though. It's hard to say really with hair this colour , he said it's not as black as it was looking when you first coloured it
    I had a lot of trouble getting the cinnamon out which I didn't happen when I used conditioner in fact the cinnamon mixed well in the conditioner but not well in the water mix , it was lumpy . I got out of the shower to discover bits still through out my hair, so I combed it and poured more water on it and combed again . A real pain it was.
    I was wondering if I continued with the chamomile tea if I could add the cinnamon to the hot water while it's brewing to see if that would make it mix in better. I don't know whether it would or whether that would affect how the cinnamon works as a lightening agent. ?
    I can't get cardamon I looked in the supermarket and in a health food shop and there was none and I bought a couple of bags of cinnamon.
    Alley Cat

Thank you for the update.

It sounds as if your colour is changing somewhat.

You could try a different honey - a dark coloured honey blend.

The chamomile tea must be cooled to room temperature before addiing the honey or the cinnamon and EVOO - high heat negatively affects the peroxide.

As an experiment just now, I added cinnamon to cold water, and stirred with a spoon - yes it was a bit lumpy - then I added honey - and stirred again - no lumps - the solution was smooth.

I do not know what a "tab" is.

I did not measure the cinnamon or honey - but I used enough of both to get a strong cinnamon honey - solution - and it turned out smooth.

I suggest adding the honey first to room temperature tea only - then the cinnamon - stir well - then add the EVOO.

You could try to get ground cardamom at Indian or Middle Eastern food stores - it is used in Middle Eastern and Indian food.

I recommend patch testing it first.
    Last edited by ktani; May 28th, 2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    APL/BCL/long
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Being a long thread, I just scummed through, reading posts here and there, thinking that would be enough to try it out by myself. Like, how hard can it be? But somehow I missed the part about irritation from cinnamon...

Made a blend of a very light conditioner, honey, EVOO and cinnamon, applied most of it to the roots, massaged it in (they are much darker then the rest of the hair) and applying the rest to the lenghts. Put on a plastic cap and went to rinse off what had dripped on my shoulders and back. Got a glance of my shoulder and OMG... It was evil red! The other just the same. Then I felt a burning on the forehead and the ears, and knowing that my scalp is more sensitive than the rest of my skin, I dragged the cap of in panic and rinsed for like a quarter, scratching to get all the cinnamon out.

It never occured to me to test before using it. I've never been sensitive more than you should be for anything. Glad to say, one hour later, the redness is almost gone. I'm even thinking about redoing it right away, if I can find any cardamom in our small kitchen.

Default Honey thread

wintersun99

I need to up-date the thread very soon - I am glad that information helped.
    Last edited by ktani; May 28th, 2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added text

Default Honey thread

Quote Originally Posted by SolSara View Post
    Being a long thread, I just scummed through, reading posts here and there, thinking that would be enough to try it out by myself. Like, how hard can it be? But somehow I missed the part about irritation from cinnamon...

Made a blend of a very light conditioner, honey, EVOO and cinnamon, applied most of it to the roots, massaged it in (they are much darker then the rest of the hair) and applying the rest to the lenghts. Put on a plastic cap and went to rinse off what had dripped on my shoulders and back. Got a glance of my shoulder and OMG... It was evil red! The other just the same. Then I felt a burning on the forehead and the ears, and knowing that my scalp is more sensitive than the rest of my skin, I dragged the cap of in panic and rinsed for like a quarter, scratching to get all the cinnamon out.

It never occured to me to test before using it. I've never been sensitive more than you should be for anything. Glad to say, one hour later, the redness is almost gone. I'm even thinking about redoing it right away, if I can find any cardamom in our small kitchen.
    SolSara

Thank you for posting what happend to you and I am very relieved to read that your cinnamon irritation, like that of others, was a temporary experience.

What happened to you illustrates 3 things.

1. Patch test first - any ingredient you are not familiar with using on your scalp or skin.

2. Conditioner - based on reports, cannot protect one from an ingredient being irritating, if enough of the ingredient is used and or one is sensitive to it.

3. Please ask questions if you are unsure of what to do or use or just want to check it out before you try a honey lightening treatment - I will always respond and help out - and the method and details are important to help get the best results possible.

Try using chamomile tea a your water base - I cup cooled to room temperature chamomile tea to 1/4 cup of honey. The chamomile tea is no guarantee but it has been reported to help counter spice irritation with the treatments and it has a traditional history of use to counter irritation.

You can add cinnamon - about 1.5-2 tablespoon to the honey and tea first, then add in the EVOO.

I suggest ground cardamom for you - after patch testing it, because of your reaction to the cinnamon.

Succesful application techniques include using a tint or blush brush to apply the liquid.

Conditioner is no longer recommended - it can be contain problematic ingredients and IMO, reduces the optimal dilution needed for the treatments.
    Last edited by ktani; May 28th, 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: clarification

Default Honey thread

A honey lightening treatment up-date

Patch test first, any ingredient that you are unfamiliar with using on your scalp and skin.

There is now a successful honeys list - here it is - it is constantly updated.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=856

If you live where these honeys are not available - try a dark coloured, inexpensive honey blend. Pasteurizing does not affect the honey peroxide level.

1. The recommended dilution is 4 parts room temperature only water to 1 part honey. Heat (except body heat) negatively affects peroxide.The minimum amount of honey to be used is 1/8 th cup or 10 grams.

2. Conditioner is not recommended as part of the dilution - herbal tea is (as long as it is a tea that contains no Vitamin C) - cooled to room temperature only before using - Roman chamomile (Anthemis nobilis) is preferable but German chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla) will do just fine - chamomile helps counter irritation. Also recommended - Mellie’s Mix - 1 cup water (made into tea) with 1 tablespoon each of Roman chamomile, mullein to 1/4 cup of honey.

3. Mix the honey and the room temperature water or tea first, before adding spice or oil - it helps make the solution smoother.

4. The peroxide recipe boosters are; extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, . My spice pick - cardamom - that will depend on your sensitivity.

5. Recommended application techniques include using a tint or blush brush.

6. The hair should be covered with plastic during the 1 hour treatment. An exception to this can be made if applying the treatment to a small roots only area - on dry hair - in this case - misting the area during the hour with water to keep it wet, is necessary.

ETA: 7. Do not apply heat to any of the peroxide containing ingredients of the treatment, at any point in the recipe preparation. Body heat, once the treatment is on the hair and covered, is the only heat recommended - except for making the herbal tea - which is only to be used with the other ingredients when cooled to room temperature and not before.
    Last edited by ktani; May 28th, 2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added an extra point # 7

Length
    short/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

So I tried this again using a half of a cup of honey to two cups of water.

I boiled a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a half of teaspoon of ground clove in the water first and then let it get room temperature and strained it.

After it was room temp & strained, I mixed it with the honey and 1/4 cup of olive oil.

It was way too much for my hair so I know to half everything next time and that will be enough.

(I made so much because I wasn't sure if less would be enough for some reason)

It left my hair really soft and shiney & it looks a little lighter to me but nothing dramatic. It kind of brings out natural, very subtle highlights.

I used the same honey as last time.

Default Honey thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    So I tried this again using a half of a cup of honey to two cups of water.

I boiled a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a half of teaspoon of ground clove in the water first and then let it get room temperature and strained it.

After it was room temp & strained, I mixed it with the honey and 1/4 cup of olive oil.

It was way too much for my hair so I know to half everything next time and that will be enough.

(I made so much because I wasn't sure if less would be enough for some reason)

It left my hair really soft and shiney & it looks a little lighter to me but nothing dramatic. It kind of brings out natural, very subtle highlights.

I used the same honey as last time.
    Gabriel

Thank you for your update and recipe.

Your dilution was right on the mark.

However - by boiling the cinnamon - you destroyed the peroxide in it - making it useless to the recipe.

High heat negatively affects hydrogen peroxide. Do not use any heat (except body heat when the treatment is on your hair and covered) with the peroxide ingredients.

Ground cloves, while aromatic, contain very little peroxide and clove is an irritant - by boiling both it and the cinnamon - they added nothing to the recipe IMO.

Here is information I posted previously, in addition to other research I have read and posted that stated no external heat is to be used with honey to not affect its peroxide level - this IMO, applies to the whole honey lightening treatment - just body heat is recommended, which has been reported in the honey and wound research, to not affect the enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide in honey or the peroxide itself.

"Hydrogen peroxide .... contact with heat, will usually decompose into water and oxygen..."
    http://web1.caryacademy.org/chemistr...oxide/home.htm

Pasteurization does not use a high enough heat for a long enough period of time to affect the crucial enzyme in honey.

Pasteurized honey has worked very well, based on reports, for honey lightening.

It is about the degree of heat and the time applied. If what you had done did not affect the cinnamon IMO, your results would have been better.

To be on the safe side of the heat issue and peroxide - avoid it except as I have said, for body heat.

I am glad that you got some lightening from the honey.
    Last edited by ktani; May 30th, 2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: clarification