Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO - no cone, no protein, slip providing conditioner??

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Default ISO - no cone, no protein, slip providing conditioner??

Hi folks -

I am trying desperately to hold on to my straggly, not entirely healthy, tangle prone ends. It took me forever to grow my hair long, and I cannot bear to cut much out, just yet. I seem to have not too bad of a split end problem, but the last few inches of my hair must have cuticle damage, I wager, since they are very 'sticky' and prone to tangle together.

That said! I am on the hunt for a good, preferably short ingredient list, organic-oriented, cone free conditioner that actually has slip and will protect my straggly dry ends. I like the Aubrey line, the bulk of my length likes them; but I suspect the last few inches of my hair does not much like protein, and all the Aubrey conditioners have soy protein. Also I find they do not offer a lot of slip, which I could use, down there!

Anyone have recommendations for me? Or, are cone free and slip providing mutually exclusive in conditioners?

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Default Re: ISO - no cone, no protein, slip providing conditioner??

I'm pretty sure that L 'Oreal's conditioner "Vive For Wavy or Curly Hair That's Long" doesn't have protein, I know for sure it doesn't have 'cones. And I can attest to the fact that my long wavy hair adores it, and my son's long curly hair can't go without it
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Biolage conditioning balm has no cones and no proteins. It is one of my favorite conditioners...I have been through several tubs of it.

Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I like the generic (Sally's version) of Biolage Conditioning balm. It's about $6 for twice as much product as the name brand (where you get half as much for $22!), and it works really nicely. That said, the ingredients list, though cone and protein free, is not especially short. I've looked up most of the ingredients, and they are mostly moisturizing though, for what that's worth!

I'm interested in that L'oreal Vive stuff that Euphony mentioned (I used to use a 'coney version of that before LHC, and it smelled terrific), but I'm not buying any more conditioner until I've finished off, like, 3 bottles that I already have. And I'll have to look up ingredients first.

But no conditioner can replicate a trim. Just keep that in mind-- taking off 1/4 or 1/2 an inch will probably help a lot more than you think.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I have similar ends, and have been trimming them since coming to LHC. Now I am down to about 3-4 inches of wispy, floaty, bendyness...and my favorite conditioner is Goth Rosary.

When I first used it I was using it as a conditioner, now I use it exclusively as a leave-in. It's very light, but provides wonderful softness and slip, at least for my fine, wavy hair. GR is in my mister and it's usually what I put on my hair between washes as a styling aid.

Ordering online is worth it, especially if you are in the USA, because this conditioner is just so nice.

hth
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

biolage's conditioning balm lists Hydrolyzed Keratin in the ingredients - isn't this a protein?

Length
    28"/36.5"/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I have had really good results with jessicurl Too Shea Extra moisturizing conditioner. It is a thick conditioner, not as thick as AO honeysuckle rose. A little goes along way and you could use a cheaper conditioner on the length with Too Shea Conditioner just on the tangle prone areas. It is $13 for 8 ounces.

http://jessicurl.com/

the ingredients are
    Water infused with Lemongrass, Nettle, Burdock, Kelp, Marshmallow Root, Horsetail, Basil, Bay Leaf, Oregano, Rosemary, Peppermint, Sage and Thyme, Aloe Vera Juice, Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, Letchin, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.

I also found that using a leave in conditioner during the day really helped me. Karen Body Beautiful has Hair Milk and Hair Nectar that can be used as a leave in. Nectar has high glycerin content so right this winter I am using the Milk. The bottle lasts forever and they have frequent sales. (20% off)

http://www.karensbodybeautiful.com/

Hope this helps

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by tessleopard View Post
    biolage's conditioning balm lists Hydrolyzed Keratin in the ingredients - isn't this a protein?
    You found it! I didn't think Biolage had any protein but if that's in there then it does. Either I overlooked it or they reformulated.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

SylvieL's solid conditioner bars have no cones or protein and create a lot of slip. However, the conditioning is rather light, and it might not be enough for your damaged ends.

Also, have you looked at catnip tea soaks? A lot of folks here swear by them for reducing splits and creating slip. (I'm still struggling to make them work, but I think I'm in the minority.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

i'm in the same boat here, i can't find anything with no cones, no protein, and lots of slip and moisture. i'm experimenting with catnip soaks, but am finding it to be a lot of struggle. i looked up the vive gloss on drugstore.com...and it's extolling it's pearl protein complex! le sob...