Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hair smells after using coconut oil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    15/16.5/waist
    Type
    1c/C/ii

Default hair smells after using coconut oil?

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but after I put coconut oil in my hair--it doesn't matter how minuscule the amount--my hair smells bad. I rub the residual oil from my hands onto a towel, and the towel picks up the same scent as well. I am really sensitive to smells so maybe I just notice it more than the average person would, but it really bothers me. I don't mind the smell of the oil in the jar, but for some reason once it leaves the jar it stinks. And I really love what it does to my hair, I just hate the smell.

Has anyone else noticed this when using coconut oil? Is there something I am doing wrong? What are some other oils that smell either nice or neutral when applied to hair? More importantly, is there anything that has the same wonderful effects as coconut oil but without the unpleasant odor?

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: hair smells after using coconut oil?

Since there's a scent I assume it's unrefined oil? Could the oil have gone bad at all? I know my unrefined coconut oil smells like coconut, but the smell lessens drastically once it leaves the jar since the concentration is so much less. It could be that you are sensitive to the scent, but it's interesting to me that the smell would get so much stronger and worse once it leaves the jar.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I love the smell of coconut oil, so yes I notice it and no it doesn't bother me. Though the smell dies down after a bit or is that because I am used to it?
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    waist/TB/long

I'm thinking that it's one of two things:

1. Your oil is going rancid, or

2. You just don't like the smell of coconuts.

If it's #1, then you just need some fresh oil. If it is #2, well, you just need to find another kind of oil. I hope you find a good solution quite soon.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I agree with Deborah, except that you can also get refined or deodorized coconut oil if the problem is #2.

Length
    waist/TB/long

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    I agree with Deborah, except that you can also get refined or deodorized coconut oil if the problem is #2.
    Yep, she is right.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I love the smell of coconut, and i like how it smells on my hair initially, but i do find that after a day or so it seems to start smelling funky on my hair. Though it stays nice smelling on my skin and if in summer i use it as an underarm deoderant the fresh coconut smell seems to get stronger for some reason.
    You could try refined coconut oil instead, melt it and add a few drops of an essential oil you really like....i like ylang ylang for that.
    To me all oils smell, even jojoba which is described as odourless. Sweet almond oil i've been using lately has been doing an amazing job on my hair and i don't notice any smell, though i do find it very easy to overoil with it if i'm going for a light oiling.
    Another oil to consider is rice bran oil....i've not used it on my hair yet but my skin loves it. It feels quite light and no matter how much i sniff i can't detect any smell at all.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    TLB/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I think maybe your oil is bad. I HATE the smell of coconut, and I find the smell disappears after a few minutes. I only use a tiny amount and I don't notice it on my hands or anywhere after just a few.

I used unrefined, it smells very much like coconut in the jar.
    From BSL to classic to pixie to chin to ... ??? All my hair is now virgin and LHC-loved.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Well...this stinks.

I JUST bought a new tub of unrefined coconut oil. I get the musty, yucky smell too. EWWW....I may have to go back and get some refined instead.

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I was wondering if it was just me. My coconut oil smells like coconut until either I get my hair a little bit wet, or have it on my head for a day. Then it smells weird, like plastic or something else synthetic.

I don't know how noticable it is to other people, I don't want to get rid of the whole tub of oil I just bought.