Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: hair smells after using coconut oil?

Length
    Ear/SL/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: hair smells after using coconut oil?

-If your oil is not going rancid then yeah it does smell. Try boiling it with curry eaves or rosemary leaves(f they don't cause problems for you). The smell will change and you'll get the added benefits of the herbs too. Just don't let the oil smoke. Turn off the heat once the leaves are done frying or whatever it is that they do.
    Lady Heliades, Lorekeeper of the Hidden Grove Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    Ear/SL/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Henrietta View Post
    I've got Parachute coconut oil. It says "100% pure" on the bottle but I learned from LHC it's not, and it smells with bacon. It's not only my opinion Maybe your oil is not pure then, too?
    Natural coconut oil does smell the way parachute does. Try making coconut milk and smelling after 2 days. But parachute is safe to use because unless you use the advanced version, it is edible.
    Coconut milk is good for the hair and skin btw.
    Lady Heliades, Lorekeeper of the Hidden Grove Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    ???/Hip?/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Good thing this thread was revived because I've had a bit of trouble with my coconut oil recently...

I have always ordered my coconut oil from Coconoil (I'm in the UK) and it always smelt nice in the tub. However this time when I first opened it my jar really stank! The smell was very strong, slightly tangy and was nothing like it used to be. I thought it must be a bad batch so I had a replacement sent to me, which had the same smell except much less noticeable - but still not the smell it used to have in the past.

I then tried to swicth brands and ordered some coconut from Tiana and... same thing! The smell is very strong and is nothing like the coconut oil I used to have before. Whilst not outright unpleasant (unlike the first tub from Coconoil I had replaced), it is a very noticeable smell and I miss the old discreet, sweet smell I am used to.

What could cause such a smell? Is it normal?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Yep, smells bad after a while in my hair too. Just a gross smell.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

I'm having smelly coconut oil issues too. I use Spectrum refined coconut oil and I've been using the same jar since last summer. I started noticing the smell this year. It doesn't smell in the jar or when it goes on my hair. It smells the next day when I take down my braid. If it's gone rancid that must mean that it's shelf life is much shorter than other cooking oils.

It never smelled like coconut because it's refined. But the smell is hard to describe. Kind of plastic-y?

I've begun to use it on my skin after a shower and love it for that. My skin doesn't get the smell. It's especially good on legs after a shave.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights