Thread: Hip Length, Fine, Thick-ish, Dry and Color Treated.

Length
    35/35/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Default Hip Length, Fine, Thick-ish, Dry and Color Treated.

Hello from a long time lurker!

Currently my hair is a little past hip. It's ultra fine and naturally dark blonde ( it's dark level 7-ish, but so incredibly ashy that it usually appears much darker unless in direct sunlight). I dyed it a light ash blonde/nearly platinum color up until about three and a half years ago when it was between bra strap and waist length. My hair is light enough that I could go this shade without bleach and with just using plain box dye, so while it was dry it wasn't super damaged. However, I decided I wanted to try to embrace my natural color. At this point I have about three inches of color left

I was at classic length this time last year but have been seriously trimming as my hair hair had a ton of taper and fairytailing ( a result of going on a year and a half long no trim, bad move on my part). So it's now back to hip. My goal is to get back to classic with a nice thick hemline. I used to have a ton of hair circumference wise, but it's been quite a bit thinner ever since I stopped dying it (my circumference is now barely 4", was closer to 6"). I quit dying my hair with the expectation that my hair would be less dry and thicken up, but I've found the opposite to be true. I think the way color coats and swells the cuticle actually helped my hair appear thicker, plus it was nice to have some actual texture to my hair. On the postive side my hair is now super soft and a touch less dry. However it is now but pretty limp. No grip either. I'd like some body back.

The biggest challenge with my hair is that it is soo dry ( along with my skin), and I need to wash it more often than I should sebum-wise. I like to run and lift weights, and I also work a very physical job in a hot, dirty, dusty warehouse ( and we all know how much sweat attracts dirt). If I don't wash my hair at least every other day, I can smell the dust in it.

I've been looking for shampoos and conditioners for very dry hair that are both silicone and shea butter free. Everything for really dry hair seems to have shea butter, and it dries out my hair unless I use just a touch of it as a leave in after I oil my hair. I've tried no poo, but my hair is very susceptible to build up (we have terrible water pressure, on top of having fine hair)

I've been considering henna-ing my hair for a year or so and I think I will finally take the plunge this summer. I'm hoping it will add a little thickness back into my hair. I also have realized that I just can't make myself like my natural color on me and have always been a little obsessed with red hair. I'm aiming for more of a vibrant strawberry blonde/ light copper shade (the orangey-er the better) so I'll be doing a henna cassia blend. I've already done a few test strands, just waiting for the weather in my neck of the woods to be a bit more cooperative as I'll be doing my initial application outdoors in an attempt to minimize mess.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Hip Length, Fine, Thick-ish, Dry and Color Treated.

Welcome to the forum!

I once did henna too, but now I'm glad to have all virgin hair. Dyes can be time-consuming and can be costly, even natural dyes, especially if you need 200/300 grams because of the length & thickness of the hair (that's how much I used to use).

I'd spend some time on the dye grow-out thread and see how you like it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/BCL/Class
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Default Re: Hip Length, Fine, Thick-ish, Dry and Color Treated.

Great post with lots of information
    I've been using a henna conditioner for the last month, and it's been amazing. I tried a 'volumizing' conditioner from the supermarket last night, trying to thicken the ends a bit, and was not impressed. Left my hair greasy and dry and thinner than before. I used it from my ears down, and made sure I rinsed well. Also could smell all the alcohol used.
    Not sure what country you live in to suggest shampoos and conditioners?
    Also, your future hair-dying goals with henna sound fab