Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do hairties really cause damage?

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Do hairties really cause damage?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    You just stick them in and twist them through at certain "anchor" points of your bun (for instance 12 & 6 o'clock). Or 12, 6, 3 & 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia_k View Post
    This. Twist your hair up into whatever bun shape you want, and work them through. There are probably a lot of youtube videos showing how this works. They hold like a rock for me, and I do aerial acrobatics, so I'm flipping upside down and stuff a lot. My bun stays secure, and I don't get headaches. Though if you're looking for ponytails those obviously won't work. But I personally prefer buns for exercise anyway; less hot hair on my neck.
    This is all great! Thanks ladies!

Also Katia, it's super cool that you do aerial acrobatics!

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by thunderseed View Post
    Thanks! Very interested in trying this. If anyone knows of any videos that explain how to do it, I would appreciate some links. I think I've seen those spin pins before, but I would have no idea what sizes to buy or how to do it, and yes I also prefer buns, especially ones on the very top of my head.

And the spin pins don't cause any damage? Are you doing the bun pretty tight, or can you do looser style buns with them as well?
    Someone else can probably find you a better video than I could, but once you see them, they're pretty easy to figure out. Goody is the brand that makes the not-offbrand ones, and seems to be the one people have the most luck with. There are 2 sizes, regular and mini. I have one set of each, and that's worked out perfectly. You just buy the light or dark, depending on your hair, and decide between those sizes (or don't decide and get both).

I can't say they *never* cause breakage, but they're much gentler than hair ties. And if you're not jamming them into your bun when you put them in, the damage should be minimal. As for the bun itself, it doesn't have to be super tight, as long as the pins can twist through a decent portion of each loop. It's a physics thing. My go-to with spin pins is a cinnabun, and it's never been too loose for the pins. Or I'll do a braided bun too, and that holds well. You don't want to bun too overly tight anyway; if you do you'll have trouble twisting the pins through.

I'd suggest investing in some, and just trying them out. For me at least, they were a total game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by HopelssRomantic View Post
    This is all great! Thanks ladies!

Also Katia, it's super cool that you do aerial acrobatics!
    Thanks! I just started a few weeks ago, and it's really fun. I'm hoping someday to get good enough that I can risk having my hair down and making it part of my stunts.
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I find that hair ties damage my hair, but they aren't damaging for everyone, especially if you get metal free ones.

At around midback I liked spin pins for a secure hold - they aren't damaging as long as you go slow when putting them in and taking them out. Some people do find them damaging though, if their hair likes to tangle with the pin. I think going slow can make that less likely, but it may also depend on your hairtype.

Lately I like using Amish pins to hold up buns. I make sure to weave each pin back and forth and I use at least 3 or 4 of them. It's a pretty secure hold. Sometimes adding a bun cover helps hold everything together even better.

Length
    26.5/29/?CL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Spin pins are great. I’ve had mine (the “normal” size) for at least 7 years and they are great for making up-dos when your hair is still quite short, but also very effective when it gets longer. With straight pins my hair starts sliding all over the place, but spin pins keep it secure all day.

*I promise I don’t work for Goody

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by thunderseed View Post
    If anyone knows of any videos that explain how to do it, I would appreciate some links.
    I made a how to video a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38SGugocL2o

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I use FOE (fold over elastics) and they seem to hold my hair nice without pulling strands. Not sure if I have breakage though.
    Forks and other hair toys give me a little breakage and bent hairs at my crown, so I dont see a difference lol

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

I use a variety of hair ties (non metal) with no damage to my fine silver; phone cord (large and small), cloth, fold over, scrunchies (mini and regular)

But I also do not wear them so tight that they cannot be moved down my hair, yet they hold it securely during exercise.

Spin pins get a YES vote from me as well; they hold my slippery hair in a bun when I need very secure hold in yoga, all day style hold etc.

Length
    APL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I have thick heavy slippery hair. Spin pins work better than a hair tie for buns for me. I like to use 1 long one from bottom to top, and then 2 short ones at 10 and 2 (as on the face of a clock) and that gives me rock solid all day hold.

Type
    1b/F/i

What is a fold over elastic?
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by lunasea View Post
    What is a fold over elastic?
    Flat hair ties with the knot on the end