Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Henna recipe feedback, tips needed

Length
    Chin/TLB/TLB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Henna recipe feedback, tips needed

Quote Originally Posted by hennalove View Post
    Have you checked out the Giovanni line of shampoos and conditioners? I find them very good! Their leave in conditioner is quite good too.

I just bought the Shea Moisture JBCO leave-in, Nature's gate herbal shampoo. I'll report after I use it

I tried the Giovanni leave in anti-frizz serum but it was not too effective. But I can try the conditioner. The health food store I go to sells sample sizes for $2.
    Tons of new growth! :-)

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SeRe View Post
    very interesting! I used to take MSM in a supplement, don't know why I stopped. The whole bottle is still intact, maybe I should resume. Thanks for sharing your experience.

My hair is like a dream when I henna regularly. Strangers have also stopped to compliment me, it's amazing how much my hair loves henna. I stopped because of the mess it makes to apply. I need to figure out an easier way to apply it.
    It doesn't help with whole head, but for root touch ups have you tried braiding it in sections and leaving a few inches near the roots loose? Works great

Length
    Chin/TLB/TLB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    It doesn't help with whole head, but for root touch ups have you tried braiding it in sections and leaving a few inches near the roots loose? Works great
    I have black hair with an irregular texture. It's straight in places and wavy in places. There is no grey hair so I don't need root touch-ups. I henna to make my hair more uniform.

Do you have a method for easy full length applications? I currently use this method- https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=HUhN5M88AYA

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I start at the nape of my neck, go up the back of my head, then either side, and the top last. That way I can just lay my muddy hair on my shoulders/back rather than coiling and clipping it as I go

Also, her mud seems thick for application on try hair. I'd either apply it on damp hair or make the mud a little thinner. Better dye absorption and easier to spread

Length
    Chin/TLB/TLB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I start at the nape of my neck, go up the back of my head, then either side, and the top last. That way I can just lay my muddy hair on my shoulders/back rather than coiling and clipping it as I go

Also, her mud seems thick for application on try hair. I'd either apply it on damp hair or make the mud a little thinner. Better dye absorption and easier to spread
    If you lay it on your shoulders/back, doesn't it stain?

I've made note, will make it thinner and apply on damp hair next time

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

If you lay it on your shoulders/back, doesn't it stain?

I've made note, will make it thinner and apply on damp hair next time
    Oh, I should have mentioned the use of an old towel for a cape

Length
    Chin/TLB/TLB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Oh, I should have mentioned the use of an old towel for a cape
    Okay, that makes sense. Thank you. I'll try this next time. Thanks a lot Nightshade!

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

very interesting! I used to take MSM in a supplement, don't know why I stopped. The whole bottle is still intact, maybe I should resume. Thanks for sharing your experience.

My hair is like a dream when I henna regularly. Strangers have also stopped to compliment me, it's amazing how much my hair loves henna. I stopped because of the mess it makes to apply. I need to figure out an easier way to apply it.
    I absolutely love henna! I just switched from Zenia (Indian) henna which has a very good stain to Red Raj. Now that's a gorgeous henna and honestly one more treatment and my hair will be straight. With multiple treatments of Zenia it was getting close to straight, one treatment with Red Raj and pretty much straight just a couple of light waves. Red Raj has made my hair very shiny and slippery in addition to the straightening effect but there is still incredible body. Absolutely, my new favourite henna!

MSM is best if you take it in the powder form. Look for a brand with OptiMSM - NOW or The Vitamin Shoppe but there are others. For best results start with a low dosage and slowly work your way up to your desired dose. It's also best to take MSM in the morning or before 2 PM as it can interfere with sleep.

Length
    Chin/TLB/TLB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by hennalove View Post
    I absolutely love henna! I just switched from Zenia (Indian) henna which has a very good stain to Red Raj. Now that's a gorgeous henna and honestly one more treatment and my hair will be straight. With multiple treatments of Zenia it was getting close to straight, one treatment with Red Raj and pretty much straight just a couple of light waves. Red Raj has made my hair very shiny and slippery in addition to the straightening effect but there is still incredible body. Absolutely, my new favourite henna!

MSM is best if you take it in the powder form. Look for a brand with OptiMSM - NOW or The Vitamin Shoppe but there are others. For best results start with a low dosage and slowly work your way up to your desired dose. It's also best to take MSM in the morning or before 2 PM as it can interfere with sleep.
    Henna love, could you share before and after pics? I would like to see how much of a difference the henna has made color and texture wise.

For someone like me with black hair, I don't think I can expect any color change regardless of mix, am I right?

I have some MSM pills that I will finish. I will then purchase the brand you recommended.

Regarding application, when you gather your hair in a ponytail, how are you able to saturate all the hair in the middle of the pony tail?

If I do bi-weekly applications, my hair might become 1a I suppose. That's be a dream, but I am so lazy

How much of a difference in thickness have you noticed?

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Henna love, could you share before and after pics? I would like to see how much of a difference the henna has made color and texture wise.

For someone like me with black hair, I don't think I can expect any color change regardless of mix, am I right?

I have some MSM pills that I will finish. I will then purchase the brand you recommended.

Regarding application, when you gather your hair in a ponytail, how are you able to saturate all the hair in the middle of the pony tail?

If I do bi-weekly applications, my hair might become 1a I suppose. That's be a dream, but I am so lazy

How much of a difference in thickness have you noticed?
    I added a picture of my hair tonight to my album in my profile. I'm not sure how to add it to my profile picture. This is just after washing and air drying.

My hair is naturally really dark brown with gold highlights now salt and pepper. It is now very dark burgundy black via henna, hibiscus and indigo, yet I still the henna flare in bright sunlight. Henna will always flare in bright sunlight. I can see a bit of henna orange in certain indoor lighting as well but other lighting the deep burgundy is the dominant highlight.

I gather my hair into a ponytail as I'm applying so yes the henna gets to the middle. I don't use any clips or hair ties. Once the entire hair has been gathered, I tip my head over and work henna through the ponytail itself then wrap into a high bun and cover with a plastic cap then heat cap.

In terms of thickness, appearance wise it looks thinner because there is no frizz or fluffing. I was wet bunning until my second last henna treatment when I just let it air dry. It went from deep waves prone to frizzing that would hold a curl using a curling iron to slick pin straight if using a straight iron. I now have very loose, barely there waves and my hair is slick, soft and very shiny. It is very much wash, let air dry and go now which I really like. I am doing another henna on Wednesday and fully expect those waves will be pretty much gone.
    Last edited by hennalove; March 16th, 2018 at 05:51 PM.