Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the best hair oils for thin hair?

Length
    Bald/APL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: What are the best hair oils for thin hair?

I use a jojoba, castor, avocado mix with a teeny bit of coconut & lavender and rosemary EO added for scent. I make sure not to cake it on my scalp too heavy though.
    08.1.2020-Bald
    “Her messy hair is a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color” (J. Iron Word)

Length
    APL/BSL+/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Jojoba is great! Lightweight and silky.

Finally finished growing out natural colour!

Type
    1a/F/i

I do better without oils. My fine hair tends to look stringy with just even the slightest amount of oil. I still occationally put some on if I remember, but then it’s only on the length and preferrably if I’m braiding. With bunning there’s a chance it’ll transfer to my scalp hair.

My friend's most impressive fourth ever braid on real hair a week after first learning, february-23.

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I find Jojoba a bit too heavy for my hair. I agree with sweet almond, avocado, etc. My all time favorite is Monoi Oil. It's infused fractioned coconut oil. It's been my holy grail for well over a decade. I never find myself without it. It's the only oil I can use on a long term basis that doesn't weigh my hair down, but conditions it really nicely.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Mineral oil is EXCELLENT for finer/thinner hair!

Length
    12/18/28

Ooo definitely following this thread; I personally like the feel of argon or jojoba oil on my hair, with a touch of coconut oil mixed with it.

I have really fine hair. The only oil that hasn't driven me totally nuts is jojoba oil. I prefer hair cremes though. I don't know what it is exactly, and I can totally understand not going for cremes due to the more built-up, manufactured nature of them, but if anyone brainstorming off of this thread is open to creme, I like:

-Dr. Bronner's hair cremes
    -Herbal essences bio:renew coconut- or argan-oil infused cremes
    -L'Oreal Extraordinary Flower Oil Creme

Something about the oils being cut in a more leave-in conditioner-esque suspension makes them lighter on my hair so I can actually put a decent amount in my hair and not have it totally go staticky-flat.
    CBL - APL - MBL - BSL - WL - TBL

Length
    pixie/chin/SL
    Type
    1c/M/i

I'm still new at the oils, and have recently started using coconut oil, and love it. But my question is, when is the best time to apply oil? Daily, treatments only, as needed, while damp or dry?

Length
    Chin/36.5"/TBL+?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Peppergirl View Post
    I'm still new at the oils, and have recently started using coconut oil, and love it. But my question is, when is the best time to apply oil? Daily, treatments only, as needed, while damp or dry?
    There are a lot of answers here and none are right for you, until you try. So experiment lots, but I love oil and use it before washing (often heavy oil, often overnight, at least once a week). I also use a light oil (Nightblooming blends are current favorites) at night while braiding my hair before bed (on non-heavy oil nights), or in the morning in place of a serum for the day.

I usually wait til my hair is mostly dry before oiling when post shower, but often oil sparingly on dry hair at night or in the morning on a daily basis. Just enough to disappear and I avoid the scalp (ears down only). My hair is thin and fine, and gets funky quick.

Sweet almond is still my favorite but my hair likes coconut ok too. Coconut oil has a lipid chain that's 17 microns long, making it the only oil that actually can penetrate the hair shaft. But it doesn't work well for all hair types, just keep experimenting.
    <- Me, bellydancing in HAIR ~

Length
    15/37/42
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I prefer argan, camelia, Abyssinia and yangu.