Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil for oily/acne prone skin

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Chin/40.5/TERM
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Question Coconut oil for oily/acne prone skin

I have always been a fan of coconut oil for my hair, and recently read that if you apply a small amount to your face as a moisturizer that it will help with acne due to it's antibacterial properties. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?

I currently use Dr. Bronners to wash my face, since it is soo strong it helps to dry out my oily skin but then I need to use a nice moisturizer. The store moisturizers don't seem to be doing the trick.. So I was thinking of going all natural and just using a small amount of coconut oil after I wash my face morning and night. I tried this last summer but with the combination of the hot summer and I was using too much coconut oil it just made my face much more oily.

Any other tips and trick's for adult acne problems will be greatly welcomed!!!

Length
    SL/SL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Coconut oil for oily/acne prone skin

I'll sub to this. I also struggle with some adult acne (combo skin, though the dry patches could be from a cleanser that is too strong). It's funny you mention it, I just tried coconut oil as a moisturizer last night. I'll let you know how my skin reacts in a couple weeks.

WC - LOC - air dry - benign neglect

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

It didn't help me at all for acne. But hair oils don't seem to give me acne no matter how much my hair gets in my face, thankfully. What helped me most was increasing my vitamin A intake (I notice a difference after a few days if my diet sucks), and keeping my skincare VERY simple.

As for the diet part, half a sweet potato or a large serving of dark, leafy greens daily seems to be enough to have an impact, but if I've been careless about getting enough vitamin A or just before my period (sorry if TMI) I'll eat something with a lot of it at every meal for a day or two to fight the resultant breakout. I stick with plant sources as too much vitamin A can be toxic or cause hair fall, and the sort of vitamin A in plant sources is much easier for your body to get rid of if you overdo it.

As for skincare: over the years I've learned that less is more. My skincare routine now consists of wetting my face in the shower and wiping it with a towel, then applying either a tinted moisturizer or some aloe vera cream. That's it. The towel is enough to exfoliate, and using too many products or heavy makeup always causes breakouts. But now that my skin is happier, I don't feel the need to cover it up so much

YMMV. This is just what worked for me. Coconut oil is great for my scalp, but it created a layer of dead skin on my face and just sat on top of it. Not cute. Try it if you think it's not too heavy for your skin, but it didn't help my face one bit.

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin3826 View Post
    I have always been a fan of coconut oil for my hair, and recently read that if you apply a small amount to your face as a moisturizer that it will help with acne due to it's antibacterial properties. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?

I currently use Dr. Bronners to wash my face, since it is soo strong it helps to dry out my oily skin but then I need to use a nice moisturizer. The store moisturizers don't seem to be doing the trick.. So I was thinking of going all natural and just using a small amount of coconut oil after I wash my face morning and night. I tried this last summer but with the combination of the hot summer and I was using too much coconut oil it just made my face much more oily.

Any other tips and trick's for adult acne problems will be greatly welcomed!!!

You are ruining your acid mantle with soap (too alkaline). I'd switch to a gentle ph-balanced cleanser, gentle, unperfumed moisturized and try to seek advice from a dermatologist.

Coconut oil is VERY comedogenic for many. I ruined my face with oils.

If you try it anyway, then definitely patch test!

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Also, you shouldn't really try to "dry out" oily, acne prone skin. Acne prone skin by default has an impaired barrier + the soap you are using is damaging it further. A compromised barrier leads to acne, excessive shine, texture issues, dry-ness, tightness or dulness.

The key for barrier repair is using a very gentle cleanser (and at a skin friendly ph) and lots of moisturizing with ideally an unperfumed moisturizer. I found plain vaseline applied thickly over moisturizer at night to be fantastic for barrier repair. Also no hot water, no exfoliation chemical or physical for at least 2 months. Limit sun exposure as well.

Vaseline cannot enter the pores, so it's non comedogenic.

Length
    BSL/BCL/Thigh
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

If you're looking for an oil for your face, either try jojoba oil (apparently closest to your skin's natural sebum), grapeseed oil (high in linoleic acid, and good for acneic skin), or rosehip oil (heavier than the other two, good for anti-aging/mature skin).

Or have a look at what this article says!
    10 Carrier Oils High in Linoleic Acid for Acne & Oily Skin/

Not a dermatologist, but I've suffered with acne on and off for the past 5 years. My skin likes certain oils, and a gentle exfoliant like Dermalogica's daily microfoliant (but I use it 3-4 times a week instead of daily).

Curly
    : APL ---> MBL (Dec 2019) --->Waist ---> Hip ---> BCL
    Stretched : BSL ---> MBL --->Waist ---> Hip (Dec 2019) ---> BCL (Fall 2021) ---> TBL ---> Classic

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JennGalt View Post
    It didn't help me at all for acne. But hair oils don't seem to give me acne no matter how much my hair gets in my face, thankfully. What helped me most was increasing my vitamin A intake (I notice a difference after a few days if my diet sucks), and keeping my skincare VERY simple.

As for the diet part, half a sweet potato or a large serving of dark, leafy greens daily seems to be enough to have an impact, but if I've been careless about getting enough vitamin A or just before my period (sorry if TMI) I'll eat something with a lot of it at every meal for a day or two to fight the resultant breakout. I stick with plant sources as too much vitamin A can be toxic or cause hair fall, and the sort of vitamin A in plant sources is much easier for your body to get rid of if you overdo it.

As for skincare: over the years I've learned that less is more. My skincare routine now consists of wetting my face in the shower and wiping it with a towel, then applying either a tinted moisturizer or some aloe vera cream. That's it. The towel is enough to exfoliate, and using too many products or heavy makeup always causes breakouts. But now that my skin is happier, I don't feel the need to cover it up so much

YMMV. This is just what worked for me. Coconut oil is great for my scalp, but it created a layer of dead skin on my face and just sat on top of it. Not cute. Try it if you think it's not too heavy for your skin, but it didn't help my face one bit.
    Absolutely -everyone's skin is different, and it's a matter of experimenting for sure. For me, I learned the hard way to just chill out. I wash my face with non-stripping soap, gently pat it 80% dry, then gently apply a thin non-clogging night cream and that's it. I do the same in the morning except with sunscreen in the end instead. Cleared up my skin massively, usually it looks great now. I also learned the hard way that oils just aren't for me (on the face). My sensitive skin just can't handle it and doesn't know what to do with the extra layers of oil on top.

Specifically, coconut oil didn't break me out, but it also didn't do anything but sit there. When I feel like I need intense moisture (you know that awful feeling of having DRY oily skin, ugh) then I apply a generous amount of the thick nivea cream (in the tin can) all over my face, let it sit and absorb for 30 minutes to an hour, heat up a towel and pat my face with it. Super soft and lush skin. And whenever the skin starts feeling or looking rough, a good exfoliating session in the shower is awesome, followed by moisturizing.
    Last edited by Glitch; April 10th, 2018 at 06:56 PM.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

For acne, you should be washing your face with Cetaphil or a moisturizing cleanser. Others include Vanicream (also marketed as Free and Clear depending on product) or Dove Sensitive Skin stuff. Soap will make it worse.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    For acne, you should be washing your face with Cetaphil or a moisturizing cleanser. Others include Vanicream (also marketed as Free and Clear depending on product) or Dove Sensitive Skin stuff. Soap will make it worse.
    I use Dove's sensitive skin beauty bar, I really like it

I want Haircare and Skincare products for my daughter to gift this Christmas. Please suggest to me any good brand how is good at making Christmas gifts bundle. And if Christmas sale and christmas shopping deals available then it would be great!