Thread: Thinner Ends?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Thinner Ends?

Quote Originally Posted by M.McDonough View Post
    Not a big fan of that look
    You can always microtrim. I think you posted once about your hemline before. You really weren't a fan of fairytaling, I remember. If it bothers you, then maybe it's time to do something about it?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    2/22/24/25

I saw this video on YouTube about anagen phase, but could not understand anything lol

Length
    ShgLp/Bcl/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

What causes thinner ends? Is it really lack of moisture or something else? We all know that each hair grows at a different speed, but I'm not sure what the real cause is..
    Natural taper or more like natural hair damage (not THE damage as split ends). Check these 2 links for details:
    http://http://longhairedatheart.blog...ng-length.html
    Here's a video:
    Well I don't have [volume on the] crown because I'm not a queen.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I doubt you'll find out the cause, TBH.

I also don't think you can do anything about it, bar microtrimming to let the thickness travel down slowly. Plenty of people do that here. Thickness *can* travel down, you can either let it keep growing, the thinness will then just "move" itself down. Or, you can stay at the length you're at and microtrim to let the racer hairs catch up. HTH!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Hair follicles have different stages of the growth cycle - anagen is the growing phase, which takes the majority of the growth cycle for scalp hair. (I'm not entirely sure what all the rest of the stages are, though I know telogen is a resting phase once the hair has completely grown, while it's still attached; after which it sheds.)

Even if someone were to shave their head to start all over again, each follicle is in a different stage of the growth cycle, so the hairs would regrow both at different rates and for a different length of time! And if you think about it, even if (hypothetically) every hair were to grow at the same rate and with synchronised cycles, there would be a natural layering because the strands along the front hairline would hang down the back appearing 'shorter' than the ones near/along the nape. If that makes any sense [I can see what I mean in my head, but don't have exactly the words.]

Also everything about breakage (an occupational hazard when growing hair!) and and all of its causes still applies, just different growth cycles/rates and distribution of the hairs on one's head mean that it is impossible to grow without natural taper of any kind
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    2/22/24/25

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Hair follicles have different stages of the growth cycle - anagen is the growing phase, which takes the majority of the growth cycle for scalp hair. (I'm not entirely sure what all the rest of the stages are, though I know telogen is a resting phase once the hair has completely grown, while it's still attached; after which it sheds.)

Even if someone were to shave their head to start all over again, each follicle is in a different stage of the growth cycle, so the hairs would regrow both at different rates and for a different length of time! And if you think about it, even if (hypothetically) every hair were to grow at the same rate and with synchronised cycles, there would be a natural layering because the strands along the front hairline would hang down the back appearing 'shorter' than the ones near/along the nape. If that makes any sense [I can see what I mean in my head, but don't have exactly the words.]

Also everything about breakage (an occupational hazard when growing hair!) and and all of its causes still applies, just different growth cycles/rates and distribution of the hairs on one's head mean that it is impossible to grow without natural taper of any kind
    You're right

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think my much thinner ends are from a couple of things TBH, first off i color my grey, i have been going to aveda to do color. Probably one of the more gentle but i know it kills your hair. Secondly, i got my hormones straightened out because im 53 and my hair not only started growing better and faster again, but it seems thicker at the root. For me those are two biggies. but also a factor i think is i live in florida and i have 7 horses, so im outside working with them, and i dont always wear hats, and i dont always put my hair up, so the sun chews in my hair too. I just started using nightbloomings cassia formula to color grey, it may have to do it more often than color, but i willing to do it to keep my health. And this summer i will put my hair up alot know that i have just discovered hair toys. so anyway, hope that helps you somewhat if anything applies

Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

What causes thinner ends? Is it really lack of moisture or something else? We all know that each hair grows at a different speed, but I'm not sure what the real cause is..
    Lucy has a great video about hair growth and nice graphs that explain why even in the perfect world you don't have 100% thickness at the ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4RyJMKtTc&list=PL6763115ECB8074E3&index= 21