Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How is it possible for some people to used heat on their hair daily w/ out damage????

Length
    L-pix/hip/term?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: How is it possible for some people to used heat on their hair daily w/ out damage

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I went through a lot of damage in my life, and my hair never looked "bad"; yes there may have been intrinsic damage and to the naked eye it might not have looked its best but it's not just "rubbish" hair that needs to be tossed away and not cared about.
    exactly the reason why I searched the whole internet for a diy trim that doesn't look like a fail or an expert's styling. I am and will be forever grateful to emi longhairedatheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    Most of my friends who use heat go through cycles of growing and cutting once it gets too damaged or the next trend comes up. All of them bemoan how damaged their hair is btw! (Not as a slam on them, just to point out that they do notice it themselves, so this is not a case of the grass being greener on the other side.) Ditto for friends who do a lot of bleaching. The damage is basically part of the style a lot of the time. I am pretty sure this is how the styles that have jagged hemlines or feathering or whatever get so popular. (Like chunky jagged on purpose styles. I am sure they have a proper name!)

It's their choice and they just have different goals, no big deal! I couldn't do that and grow to these lengths but then again, they couldn't even imagine wanting to grow to mine. If we were to look at a mirror board for people who love trendy hair, they would likely be wondering why so many of us never "have fun with our hair" To each their own! It would be boring if we were all the same. (I mean, *I* find my hair super fun, but you guys know what I mean!)

Not everyone actually cares that much about the damage. For many, they use heat and such until their hair is at the point where it starts breaking off. That becomes their new hemline or they just start over, but most people are know are not really bothered by this. Usually that is about the point when they are bored with their hair anyhow and looking for a change.

ah! the "I am bored with my hair" every two months!
    Well I don't have [volume on the] crown because I'm not a queen.

Length
    24/38.5/44ish
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: How is it possible for some people to used heat on their hair daily w/ out damage

Before LHC, I would wash (scalp and length shampoo followed by conditioner) and blowdry my hair on III (hot) daily or thereabouts. And sometimes I'd straighten it, or curl it, or crimp it with heat. But I'd also trim my hair into a fresh style due to boredom every 4-6 or so months. It's all virgin and low-porous, so that may've factored into the lack of discernible damage. Dunno, but it seems resilient enough? ETA: all of my action and length pics include that heat-blasted pre-LHC hair, even now (just lower down than in 2014...).

When I was a teen and young adult I permed, bleached and coloured it along with the previously mentioned routine, and it didn't fare nearly as well. Dry, crunchy frizz... oh yeah.
    Last edited by Crystawni; December 8th, 2017 at 05:21 AM. Reason: addition

Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~Onwards and downwards, through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~
    APL ** BSL** MBL ** WL ** HL ** BCL ** TBL ** ...CL ** FTL...

Length
    Chin/TBL+/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Crystawni View Post
    When I was a teen and young adult I permed, bleached and coloured it along with the previously mentioned routine, and it didn't fare nearly as well. Dry, crunchy frizz... oh yeah.
    OMG, it's like we were all one teenager.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

Length
    0.1/AMP/MB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Well I have sort of ambivalent thoughts about this.

I know a cousin who has straightened her hair every single day since she was 12 now on her 18 years, certainly she has some damage but it looks good and her ends look fairly ok. She does trim a lot and yet she is able to grow shoulder to sort of waist within 3 years. I guess women in her teens have pretty resilient hair. In my opinion its the combination of bleaching and heat styling when hair stars looking severely fried.

My mom has been also been flat ironing and curling, pretty much everyday for more than a decade. Her natural curls were pretty but she has always had dry hair issues. She is pretty much into trends and feels more put together when she does her whole beauty ritual, somehow if she reveals now her natural extremey frizzy lost curls , it does look quite edgy and stylish. I've been helping her with mask, treatments and such, she likes the results however she is not that constant with those because pure laziness. I do cringe as a hair lover for what she does, still I love her and she has the right to do whatever to feel pretty, confident and yeah ladylike in her perspective. So i just help when she ask me for some of it.

For myself, I did straightened my hair in my emo teen years and it never really look bad since it was fairly short and was constantly thinned out, razored and cut pretty much every month to keep the swoopy bangs and the general shape. When I grow it out for the first time I stopped flat ironing and begin experiementing with dyes and to my surprise, my hair started to look bad. I realize then it's the way my hair natural grows with flippy bits and how previous heat damage shows after some inches of growing.

I like my natural straight hair, but it does look poofy, frizzy sometimes and to some ignorant comments yeah quite damage even its all virgin and heat free. It can be tamed with oil and some product but iit can also look quite weight down-flat. I do like to play with straightners sometimes and adore the way my hair feels and looks, so im willing to do it when I get me some and more new lenght everynow and then , still I try my best to embrace my natural hair as much as I can and very necesary while im growing.

So yeah even natural hair can be all virgin, free it can look quite untammed and heat styled hair can look healthy even its not!!!

En busqueda se mi sanacion autentica. Por favor Amor!

Length
    sl/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

When I straightened it once a week my hair looked ok. It'd look like trash next to my hair now but it seemed alright at the time. However it just wouldn't grow past BSL so the length might have meant that the damage was continually being broken or cut off before it got too awful.
    Proud mama and fiancée
    Waist length × Growing out natural colour × Goal is hip

Length
    Chin/TBL+/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlackWaves View Post
    When I straightened it once a week my hair looked ok. It'd look like trash next to my hair now but it seemed alright at the time. However it just wouldn't grow past BSL so the length might have meant that the damage was continually being broken or cut off before it got too awful.
    Same for me, mine also never grew past BSL. It just cut itself off at some point, so I had barely any growth... if at all.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

Length
    28"/TBL/?
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by yahirwaO.o View Post
    In my opinion its the combination of bleaching and heat styling when hair stars looking severely fried.
    Agreed. My hair is far worse now with bleach damage than it ever was with regular ironing.