Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My hair is acting up- I need help!

Length
    Pixie/MBL/TB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default My hair is acting up- I need help!

I am still pretty new to haircare and I’m at a bit of a loss currently. My hair is virgin save for tiny bits of old highlights and I almost never heat style my hair so overall it’s very healthy, yet it’s been feeling really gross for the past couple of months or so. My roots are getting greasy quickly but are frizzy at the same time, and my length has been feeling so dry and not soft regardless of my attempts at moisture. I had been using Herbal Essence Bio Renew Naked Volume shampoo and trying various conditioners (Mane and Tail, Vo5, Herbal Essence LTR) and the occasional deep treatment with Aussie 3MM. I recently tried switching to Toadstool’s natural shampoo and conditioner and it has seemed to make my hair feel even worse. I’ve tried ACV rinses and it used to help a lot when my hair had that dry feeling but it hasn’t seemed to be as effective lately. I’m really just at a loss and am feeling very frustrated and unhappy with my hair :/

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: My hair is acting up- I need help!

Have you clarified your hair lately? Do you use any leave-ins? Have you tried ROO?
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I'm so sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your hair lately. Sounds like it to me that your hair needs a good protein treatment or conditioner. Not anything too heavy of protein but like a light protein conditioner. You can try the ORS Replenishing Conditioner. It has a light protein ingredient in it, and at the same time it is also very moisturizing as well. Now, to tame the frizz I would use Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream. Or, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Humidity Hair Milk. I think that's what they call it. Also, at times it's always good to use a heavy or thick deep moisturizing conditioner on your hair too. About a couple of weeks ago my hair was looking and feeling gross too. Especially, at the ends. But I've been trying out a couple of different shampoos, conditioners, masks. They've all been helping me to tame my frizzy dry looking hair.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your hair lately. Sounds like it to me that your hair needs a good protein treatment or conditioner. Not anything too heavy of protein but like a light protein conditioner. You can try the ORS Replenishing Conditioner. It has a light protein ingredient in it, and at the same time it is also very moisturizing as well. Now, to tame the frizz I would use Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream. Or, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Humidity Hair Milk. I think that's what they call it. Also, at times it's always good to use a heavy or thick deep moisturizing conditioner on your hair too. About a couple of weeks ago my hair was looking and feeling gross too. Especially, at the ends. But I've been trying out a couple of different shampoos, conditioners, masks. They've all been helping me to tame my frizzy dry looking hair.
    If her hair is feeling dry, protein isn't the first thing I'd reach for. I'd try other routes first.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    If her hair is feeling dry, protein isn't the first thing I'd reach for. I'd try other routes first.
    Oops, oh yeah....that's right. She may want to go for more moisturizing products then.

Length
    Pixie/MBL/TB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Have you clarified your hair lately? Do you use any leave-ins? Have you tried ROO?
    I don’t think the Herbal Essence shampoo I’ve been using is a clarifying shampoo so no, I’ve not clarified. Sometimes I will use a leave in from the assortment of random Ipsy samples I’ve gotten but it’s not a regular thing. And no I’ve not tried ROO! These are great suggestions, thank you! I’ve always had a pretty simple hair routine and never really needed much care aside from just shampoo and conditioner so this is all new for me.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by toastertroodle View Post
    I don’t think the Herbal Essence shampoo I’ve been using is a clarifying shampoo so no, I’ve not clarified. Sometimes I will use a leave in from the assortment of random Ipsy samples I’ve gotten but it’s not a regular thing. And no I’ve not tried ROO! These are great suggestions, thank you! I’ve always had a pretty simple hair routine and never really needed much care aside from just shampoo and conditioner so this is all new for me.
    Oh, and do you know what your water is like? Is it hard by any chance?

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Clarifying before a deep treatment could help. Try doing a deep treatment mask regularly, once a week maybe. I would add oil after your hair starts to feel less dry. ROO or sealing a spray and/or cream leave-in with oil (I'd suggest avoiding coconut oil for now).

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    Clarifying before a deep treatment could help. Try doing a deep treatment mask regularly, once a week maybe. I would add oil after your hair starts to feel less dry. ROO or sealing a spray and/or cream leave-in with oil (I'd suggest avoiding coconut oil for now).
    This. I'm pretty sure clarifying is a sulfate shampoo which I think HH has, at least that's what I've been using and counting as clarifying? But I also have been using roo with a deep conditioner every wash and my hair is the most moisturized I can ever remember it feeling in my life.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

When is the last time you clarified with a "regular" sulfate shampoo? Often that can make the biggest difference. The Toadstool shampoos are sulfate-free hence not "really" clarifying. Maybe a double cleanse is even better. Just strip it all out and start afresh.

Suave daily clarifying is a good one or the Neutrogena clear one.

ETA/ oh, and *how* do you wash your hair? Do you distribute the shampoo enough? Use enough? A dime-size is far too little to use, you need to coat your hair with shampoo, or else dilute it with water to reach every inch of your scalp. The suds can run down, but if you wash upright, don't forget the underneath (back) of your head, and if you wash bent over, don't forget the top of your head.
    Last edited by lapushka; April 27th, 2019 at 06:55 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)