Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Are there coloring/perming-averse people out there?

Length
    SL/KL/MTL
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Default Re: Are there coloring/perming-averse people out there?

Quote Originally Posted by nycelle View Post
    I completely disagree.

Have met plenty of people in my life who look much better with their colored hair than natural.
    A specific friend I grew up with comes to mind. She's a medium ash brown naturally. The color completely washes out her skin tone, and made her look sickly through our teenage years. When she hit her 20's, she started coloring and looks gorgeous as a light warm brown.
    The same goes for straight, wavy, curly, whatever. I look better with straighter hair, always have, always will. I tried to embrace the waves for the first month or so after joining this forum, but why should I? Especially since they take more work than just leaving my hair alone, and having it go straight. Natural is not always best

I say do what makes you happy. If it includes coloring, heat styling, whatnot, so what? It's all about feeling good about yourself.

When my greys really start to come out, I'll have no problem coloring. Not because I don't like silver, I do like the color, but because I hate the texture. Mother Nature decided that I'm not worthy of soft, fine silver hair. So I say, screw you mother nature, come here aunt Clairol
    I'm colour and perm averse on myself but I agree with this for other people - it is their hair after all.
    Loose: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL
    Braided: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL

yes ,I am though have few silvers visible.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I've come back to this thread a few times, unsure quite how to word my thoughts. I think I've got it now, though. I am averse to chemically processing my own hair completely. Generally speaking, I also am averse to other people chemically processing their hair - and this is the bit that confused me. Why should I be? It's their hair, their choice! Then I realised, I'm averse to people doing these things as a result of feeling they MUST, for whatever reason. The LHC has shown me that there are people who make a fully informed choice to colour / straighten / perm their hair because they want to, not because of pressure from anyone else. And I genuinely think that's great, they're happy because it's what they want to do, and they are fully prepared to handle their hair accordingly. What I absolutely hate is societal pressure on people to change their hair to somehow conform, and that people end up doing these things and being unhappy because it's not what they want. And THAT is what I am averse to.

(Tbh I felt similarly when I first learned about sulphates and silicones - I was angry that [it seemed] the companies withheld the information we consumers need to make an informed choice. But here, people use or don't use sulphates and cones by choice, making an informed decision that's right for them and their hair, and that's great. I think the single best thing about LHC is that here we can find the information we need to make informed decisions about any aspect of haircare )
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I've come back to this thread a few times, unsure quite how to word my thoughts. I think I've got it now, though. I am averse to chemically processing my own hair completely. Generally speaking, I also am averse to other people chemically processing their hair - and this is the bit that confused me. Why should I be? It's their hair, their choice! Then I realised, I'm averse to people doing these things as a result of feeling they MUST, for whatever reason. The LHC has shown me that there are people who make a fully informed choice to colour / straighten / perm their hair because they want to, not because of pressure from anyone else. And I genuinely think that's great, they're happy because it's what they want to do, and they are fully prepared to handle their hair accordingly. What I absolutely hate is societal pressure on people to change their hair to somehow conform, and that people end up doing these things and being unhappy because it's not what they want. And THAT is what I am averse to.

(Tbh I felt similarly when I first learned about sulphates and silicones - I was angry that [it seemed] the companies withheld the information we consumers need to make an informed choice. But here, people use or don't use sulphates and cones by choice, making an informed decision that's right for them and their hair, and that's great. I think the single best thing about LHC is that here we can find the information we need to make informed decisions about any aspect of haircare )
    You're opening up a whole different can of worms here - "societal pressure"..

But LHC is no different.
    The push here is for embracing your natural hair, your natural color, natural, natural, natural in absolutely everything.

Unfortunately, I have seen some very bad advice given (for skin) because people are averse to anything that doesn't grow directly from the earth, and felt using pretty much nothing other than water or something along those lines would be best.

It was such BS .. and their "advice" was only going to make the problem worse. Still, even though they were obviously clueless, that didn't stop them from putting their 2 cents in. And I wouldn't be surprised if that person took the advice, instead of seeing someone in the medical field who understands their problem, and can actually help. So much for being informed..

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    waist/TB/long

I like completely natural hair on everyone.

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

But LHC is no different.

The push here is for embracing your natural hair, your natural color, natural, natural, natural in absolutely everything.
    Sometimes you need to see both ends of the spectrum to be able to find where you stand. It's important to not succumb to any kind of pressure in the process.

I went from obsessing over Pantene commercials to washing my hair with chicken eggs before I found my perfect balance between natural and artificial that works for me. And I'm still kinda tweaking my routine and looking for new stuff, whether 100% natural or not at all. Same thing goes with coloring and perming: if you spent your entire life in society that tells you your hair is garbage unless you artificially change it, it can be useful to spend some time around people who are averse to it and prefer everything natural. Just to figure out your own opinion.

I stopped panicking over my rapidly multiplying gray strands after joining LHC and seeing all the beautiful ladies with silver locks. And I'm grateful for it.
    Last edited by Joules; April 27th, 2018 at 12:00 PM.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Funny, I didn't obsess over my new grays until I joined here..

Just goes to show how we're all different.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

You're opening up a whole different can of worms here - "societal pressure"..

But LHC is no different.

Unfortunately, I have seen some very bad advice given (for skin) because people are averse to anything that doesn't grow directly from the earth, and felt using pretty much nothing other than water or something along those lines would be best.

It was such BS .. and their "advice" was only going to make the problem worse. Still, even though they were obviously clueless, that didn't stop them from putting their 2 cents in. And I wouldn't be surprised if that person took the advice, instead of seeing someone in the medical field who understands their problem, and can actually help. So much for being informed..
    I understand how it can seem that way, especially when reading older threads or reading the huge threads from the beginning. I personally found after a short while here that the general atmosphere seemed to be 'natural is best if it works for your hair' (and that got me pretty quickly through the 'natural obsession' phase to realising I just needed to find what works for me and my hair, and my personal priorities).

As for the skin advice, yikes. I actually stay on the hair boards here so I tend to forget that maybe half of the LHC is a general community. But I stand by what I said about reliable information for haircare, which is the only side I've seen
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; April 27th, 2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Brainfog
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post

That is why I love this place too. Information, science, and decisions based on each individual, no one size fits all. I love that!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Account closed by member request
    Length
    11CBL/33"HL/40CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I am here now. Its honestly a hassle takes time & money that i rather spend on other things.
    I used to dye and heat damage my hair religiously . Now i'm just over it. I can honestly say at the time i wasn't happy with myself, and i wanted to see myself & be seen like how i wished i looked. Had a life changing experience that only made that worse. Then i realized that was not what i wanted to be doing or who i wanted to be