Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there coloring/perming-averse people out there?

Default Are there coloring/perming-averse people out there?

I was curious to know whether there are others out there who have an active dislike, or at least reservations, toward chemically modifying (coloring - including bleaching, highlighting etc - and perming/chemically straightening) hair. I personally find these practices kind of gross, don't like the risk of their damaging the hair, and find it superfluous and even counterproductive (for example, I think "mousy" hair, which is probably the color most often changed, is actually one of the nicest colors out there; there's certainly nothing wrong with it). I'm not saying I think it's a horrible thing that anyone anywhere would do these things, but I prefer hair that is (by and large) left in its natural state.

Obviously, I'm talking exclusively about personal preference, this thread is not meant in any way to criticize, judge, or actively influence those who choose to have their hair chemically processed. I'm just wondering if anyone else has similar tastes in this matter to mine.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Are there coloring/perming-averse people out there?

I have traveled to this side a bit after a chemical cut & burn. I am very careful now not to do anything damaging to my hair. It is a bit of an exaggerated response (for me) after something drastic like that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I was like this when I wanted super-long hair (classic length). I think it actually offended me when people I like had chemical processes done to their hair or used heat styling tools. Now I'm over long hair and use heat styling tools myself. I've also had rose gold balayage done. There's room for all of us here, don't worry.

Length
    29/36.5/50+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I am definitely against heat styling and chemical processes for personal use. I do dye with henna, but knowing how damaging chemical dyes are (and the smell bothers me; I get migraines and I don't want to be so close to the dye smell to find out whether or not it's another trigger for me) I wouldn't use them on my own hair.
    BSL -> MBL -> WL -> HL -> BCL -> TBL -> Classic -> ???

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Having done those things in the past, I am now against processing my own hair in any way. What people do with their own my hair is not my business though, so I don't even have an opinion on that. Some people have much more resilient hair that can handle that kind of treatment way better than my own hair... what is damaging to me may not be to someone else. To each his or her own. People who do choose to process their hair do have the right idea... it's hair, it does grow back... I wouldn't put too much thought into it, it's not that serious IMHO.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

I don't care for the stench of chemicals needed, for one thing. Also natural color looks better with one's skin tone (without foundation) and eyebrows (without pencil). Having to paint my face to match a fake color seems like an awful lot of effort.

As for those obviously fake colors (blue, purple, green) streaked temporarily, that can actually look quite attractive. I've no experience with the chemicals used there, since I haven't been to a salon in many years.

I do realize many people are convinced their own hair color/texture genes are somehow inadequate, and they're welcome to do what they choose. For me: this is me, like it or not.

Length
    MB/Waist/??
    Type
    1c/F/ii

When I was young (in the 80's), I had lots of perms. I can still remember the stench and sometimes the burn from these perms. I loved the curls/waves that they gave me in junior high and high school though. Around 20 years ago, I dyed my hair twice with temporary dye - I think each time lasted about a month. Since then, I haven't done any chemical alterations on my hair. I embrace my silvers and wear them with pride. My hair is healthy and strong.

I wouldn't say that I have an aversion to others perming/dying - but I do wish that as a society, we could learn to accept the hair/skin/body that we've been given.
    Currently at waist... and still growing!

I sometimes use Sun In like once or twice a year, but otherwise I leave my hair alone... I hate blow drying it.

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I am certainly adverse to hair colouring and perming for myself mainly because I have too many allergic reactions to deal with. I'm fortunate that I do like my natural hair colour. I do use henna glosses every 3-6 months for the great strengthening conditioning properties. It's taken years to see a slight change in my shade of black hair. I like henna (100%, pure) because it's one of the few things that I'm not allergic to. I mix it with coconut milk to make a gloss.

I do sometimes cringe when I hear what others have used to process their hair only because I know on me that would bring pain and distress. It's their hair to do with as they see fit. If they are happy that's great.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    chin/32-33/46"
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Even before I really cared about my hair I never did any sort of chemical treatment and would rarely, rarely use heat tools, I can think of a handful of times I've used heat tools in my entire life. I like the idea of pink hair, but I know I'd never keep up the maintenance of it and something about the idea of dying my hair makes me uncomfortable. I've never considered a perm either, Natural Straight-ish wavy is fine
    Currently mid-back(27") after months of forgetting about it, Going for as long as I can put up with it