Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You have "time" to do your hair

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Default You have "time" to do your hair

A friend has been telling the comments she's had over talking about my hair having grown. Apparently that's dismissed as me having the time to care for hair. Only thing is that I keep things simple. I don't devote hours to my head. I, condition, detangle/comb it once a week, style it and that's it. Hair gets rinsed as part of my daily bath/shower. Usually it's people who have time to book salon appointments then spend time to have their hair done for them. It's possible that their time is similar to mine or more than mine. I'm getting a little irritated of this excuse. I would never spend hours sitting letting a hairdresser cut/straighten and style my hair. Then have to restyle it daily.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    buzz/buzz/26"
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: You have "time" to do your hair

So is this people saying they don't have the time to grow their hair out? And that the only reason yours look great is because you have oodles of hours to spend on it?

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I think she means that people think she must spend a lot of time on her hair because it is long and long hair "must" take many hours to look after. It must take a lot of time to do styles and updos etc.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    SL/52.25/48
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I find that excuse hilarious. The main reason my hair is this long is due to benign neglect and a *lack* of time spent on my hair .
    TBL 37.5" ~ Classic 42" ~ Thigh 48" ~ Knee 52"
    WCC ~ LOC

Length
    3/18/26
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I've never understood the idea that you need time to grow hair when all you do is let time pass. Growing healthy hair is often about what you DON'T do to your hair rather than what you do.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

It most likely all stems from ignorance and assumptions. Hairkay do you know if it's mainly because your hair is curly, natural, and/or long? To be completely honest, when I first started learning about more natural haircare, reading about detangling tightly curly hair, pre-pooing, co-washing, all the other products afterwards and protective styling seemed like a whole rigmarole; I couldn't imagine having to do that every time washing one's hair and actually I felt relieved I had 'easy' straight hair. *But that was when I was ignorant* Now I know better - yes, some people's routines might be like that, but they don't tend to wash their hair more than once a week, and because it is routine they just get on with it. Plus, of course, spending more time on here I've learned that many longhairs (with hair of all types) actually have pretty simple routines anyway, once they've worked out what's best for their hair.

I do understand the frustration of misperceptions! I think the only productive way to counter it is with education - perhaps by simply saying "you'd think so, but actually it only takes me [x amount of time] each day/week". The people making those comments may well spend longer washing and styling their hair every day or two! But because it's part of their daily routine they don't think about it - plus of course the salon visits. You could even ask, with a smile(!), "why, how long does your hair take?" and look all innocent. [Muahaha]

I used to have people always saying things like, 'it must take ages to wash your hair' or 'it must take forever to dry' when actually, really really not. (Incidentally washing now takes me slightly longer because I'm more careful, but nobody really sees my length so I very rarely get that kind of comment any more.)
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

It literally grows by itself lmao. I spend practically zero time on my hair other than washing.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    12/23.3/35
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I think people overestimate how much time longhairs actually spend on their hair, especially outside of this forum. A lot of the time, short hair is MORE maintenence. (Not true for me, but often for others.) All you have to do is not cut it, and shampoo and condition like you normally do lol. Brushing and washing might take a little longer, but other than that it's identical unless you wanna get fancy...

Length
    SL/WL/HL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy24601 View Post
    I find that excuse hilarious. The main reason my hair is this long is due to benign neglect and a *lack* of time spent on my hair .
    Exactly! I don't have the time to do all this fancy stuff to my hair anymore. No frequent straightening, colouring, blowdrying, anything! That's why having it longer is more convenient time-wise right now. It's easier to bun, braid and just throw up and keep of of the way in general. My hair takes less time now than it did when it was at my shoulders because it could be a pain putting it up.

Especially curly hair, gosh people think I do so much with it because of the length. If I had the time and did a lot with it it wouldn't be in the same style 99% of the time. Yes, there are some girls that take two days (!) to wash their hair, no I'm not one of them. And no I will not spend an hour styling a "wash and go", I don't have that luxury, haha.
    • SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL HL
    • no trims in 2019 (failed oct 2019) • shooting for hip by December 2019 (done) •

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Actually, long hair is much easier for me than short hair was. I wash it, condition it, wrap it in a towel while I eat breakfast to let the conditioner sink in, rinse, part and let the air dry it and go. Simple.