Page 1 of 804 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: The Archives: The Merged NW/SO/WO Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed by Member Request

Default The Archives: The Merged NW/SO/WO Thread

So, here's a fresh start with a new thread dedicated to the NW/SO (no water/sebum only) method.

All issues occurring to those who are on a NW/SO routine or to those who are interested how NW/SO works can be discussed here.

So, hopefully this thread will be as lively and lovely as the old one soon!

What do you think, NW/SO fellows, should we post some summarizing posts on reoccurring topics like e.g. how to preen or how to brush? Should we just let this thread take its course as the questions will perhaps be answered anyway sometime? Or should we write an article for the articles section?

Greetings from Hairytale who is very glad to be "home" again!

P.S.: I hope you're okay with me having started this new thread, if not, we can always have it deleted (at least I think so). I did this because the old one was very big and is not available anymore and although the one on TBB is quite nice, I feel more at home at LHC.

P.P.S.: I'll try to tag this thread, let's see if it worked!

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Hi Hairytale,

thanks for opening a new NW-Thread.

As the old one isn't available anymore we have to start afresh, I'm afraid. I'm a bit sad about the lost information and all the different ways portraited in the old Thread, but perhaps sometime in future we can read it again at least in the archives.

So, up to a new start.

How's everyone doing?

CALLING OUT FOR NW-LADYS

I missed you all so much and I hope with hairytale, this thread will be as lively as the old one.

Ruthietoothie,

you asked at TBB for support again. Here you will have it If you can't stand it anymore, take a break and rinse. Going through the whole transition without a break is a hard thing to do. I got through the worst during my WO-time and I don't thing I would gone through without sometimes rinsing. As long as you don't do it too much, it won't take you back to much I think, and you will have better times with your hair.

It relys on how do you feel about it. If you can go still longer without rinsing, it would be of course the better, especially, as you hair starts to look up good. Thats a big step forward. Looking good down will take still a bit of time, but you're definately on the way.
    Last edited by Rosa.Damascena; March 8th, 2008 at 12:37 PM.

Current routine: Henna every 3rd or 4th week, scalp-WO-washes every 1 1/2 week

Length
    15/21/25
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Yay!!! So happy to see you all here again!

I definitely think someone should write an article on NW/SO... it's so nice to have all the information in one place for newbies! They always come to the thread for encouragement, but it can get daunting to try to read 100's of pages!

Thank you Rosa, Hairytale, Freznow, and everyone else for your help, support and encouragement to me through this transition. I have really needed it, and I desperately missed it while LHC was down before I found TBB. Like I said, my hair is looking better when up at least, so I know I am on the right track. I have a few important events at the end of this month, so I may end up rinsing around then. We will see. As of now, I am almost 2 1/2 months into NW, without a single rinse! It's been gruesome at times, but I've made it this far and I am not turning around now! I am going to see this through for at least 3 more weeks. Hopefully I will continue to see improvement.

I found this interesting: Earlier this week I experimented w/ misting my hair and "scrunching" it to see if it would look good down that way. Well, it didn't, but what I found interesting is how much the misting dried out my hair! My ends were so frizzed...why would a misting do that? Any thoughts? I didn't drench the hair, and not even the scalp at all, so why would the ends get so dry and icky? It seems to have evened itself out by the next day, but wow, I sure am a little scared to rinse now even!
    Ruth. 3/17/10:I've tried many things...Water Only, No Water, ACV and BS, but for now, I'm back to Shampoo and Conditioner. I don't like it, but I don't like my hair any which way I try, so it doesn't matter really.

Length
    2"/24"/80"
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa.Damascena View Post
    CALLING OUT FOR NW-LADYS
    and gentlemen***

Curls & Kinks Galore! nappywomyn's Avatar
    Length
    bald/17/38
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii/iii

Whoops - totally wrong thread!
    Last edited by nappywomyn; June 7th, 2008 at 05:36 PM.

{~*~} Nappydelphia (updated!) {~*~} Official Bibliodragon {*}

Length
    ?/knee/ankle

Hi all, I didn't really participate in the old NW thread but the original reason I joined LHC was for the WO thread (and then got caught up from there) and I sort of am hovering in between WO and NW (loong time between rinses)

Ruthie, what I find helps better than rinsing if my hair is getting a bit too oily is a dry shampoo (I just use arrowroot powder in a small container with a top with holes in it to sprinkle the powder through. cornstarch should be just as good) you don't need much, just sprinkle a little on your scalp and massage in a bit, then brush out very well.

I have read that a piece of dry chamois leather can soak up the extra oil from the hair, just take a lock at a time and gently pull through a fold in the chamois from the scalp down.
    I haven't got a piece of chamois to try it out with yet, so I can't tell you how it works.
    Good luck

Account Closed by Member Request

I also think it would be really helpful to have an article about NW/SO. But I can imagine that it would be much work for one person, so maybe we decide the topics we're going to write about and everyone who wants to take one (or how many s/he manages) topic summarizes information about it.
    The topics could be such as "How do I preen?" or "How do I brush?" or "What will help my hair become less/more sebumy?" or "What is the theory behind NW?" or "Reasons to go NW" or "What are helpful updos to hide greasies?" or something like that.

I am willing to write something, but I don't have very much time, so if anyone would like to help me, I'd really appreciate that!

Also a very warm welcome to nappywomyn and tigerlily, perhaps we'll have two more NW fellows around here!
    Feel free to ask anything you're interested in!

Greetings,

Hairytale.

well, i don't know if i'm glad to report or sad to report in.

i was SO/NW from october 15, 2007 through march 4, 2008. not even a water rinse in all that time. as many may know i was not entirely happy with how my hair was looking. so just 11 days shy of 5 months SO, i did a minimal hair shampoo and minimal conditioner on the ends which i then rinsed out. went out and tried my hair in the sunshine and i had the hair i wanted.

i used so little shampoo and conditioner that i still had a lot of body in my hair. i have not wet my hair since then. i'm going to keep shampooing and conditioning to a very very minimum and not use either on my scalp. i'm hoping to not to wash more than once very couple of weeks or even once a month.

if nothing else, i think going for almost 5 months SO helped my hair and i think it would be a mistake to try and go squeaky clean. on the other hand, i just wasn't happy with the total SO look for me, especially as i want to wear my hair down and it just didn't look that great down.

i'm going to work hard at being a minimalist with shampoo/rinses/conditioners, etc. at this point, having not washed my hair squeaky clean and leaving the scalp alone except for water, my hair shows no evidence of needing to be oiled.

i want to thank all of you that gave encouragement and kept me going early on. i'll check back in periodically to see how you all are doing. right now i'm loving how my hair looks and feels. i can see myself going SO for weeks and perhaps even a month, especially if traveling. right now i want to see how long i can go with my hair down and looking good, then maybe wear it up a few days to see just how long i think i can go between washes.

again, thanks to you all!

movie zombie

Length
    15/21/25
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Movie Zombie,
    thanks for the update! Happy healthy hair is the most important thing, and feeling comfortable w/ it too. So I hope you have found what will keep you happy!

I don't know what my hair routine will end up being. I can't know though until I give this NW a fair try...
    Ruth. 3/17/10:I've tried many things...Water Only, No Water, ACV and BS, but for now, I'm back to Shampoo and Conditioner. I don't like it, but I don't like my hair any which way I try, so it doesn't matter really.

ruthie,

it was hard to break the SO......the thought of starting over almost made me not shampoo. however, i just had to be totally honest with myself that after almost 5 months, i just wasn't happy with it. the next day, march 5, i actually had someone comment on how great my hair looked! it had been a really long time since that had happened.

i also found that with all the combing, brushing, grooming, i was starting to lose a lot of hair. i think for my hair type it was just too much handling. hair loss seems to be lessened now that i'm not grooming it as much.

hope it works for you! it was a worthwhile experiment imo.

movie zombie