Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you remove perfume from hair?

Length
    SL/SL/WL?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/C/i

Default How do you remove perfume from hair?

Hi, I went to the store today and a lady sprayed alot of perfume/body spray as I passed by. Now my clothes and hair smell terrible. The scent is giving me a headache too. Do you know of any way to remove perfume scent from hair (and clothes)? Will Trader Joes Tea tree tingle shampoo work? Should I wash 2x? How about ACV? (Also, should I wash the perfumed clothes separately from other dirty clothes? I don't want that scent on my other clothes...) Thanks! **UPDATE** Since it bothered me last night, I washed my hair with Trader Joes Tea tree tingle shampoo 3x and ACV rinsed 2x in between washes. My hair doesn't smell like it any longer. However, my skin smelled faintly of it the afternoon after I showered (weird...). I left the clothes to hang outside overnight and it seem like most of the scent is gone. I might try soaking it before washing it. Today the scent cloud got me yet again. I was walking home at night. I wanted to walk on the other side of the street but the sidewalk was closed off. I saw some teens hanging out, but it didn't occur to me that they were smoking weed or some kind of drug until I walked passed them. I saw one smoking a cigarette, but it didn't smell like one...it smelled strange...like herbs, skunk, and plastic melting. It was strong and pungent. I felt dizzy immediately afterwards (I felt great prior to that). I smelled it on my clothes and everything (glasses, shoes, and my food). I tried airing it out, but decided to toss my clothes. I'll try to wiping my glasses with alcohol. As for my shoes, oh well. I don't take drugs and sure don't want to smell like any. Ugh. Now I have yet another strong smell on my hair and body again. I'll have to wash my hair again and it's gonna be super dry and crispy. I hope the weed/drug smell will be removed easily and won't harm me. I wonder how long it takes to break down and if it will leave any residue. It's unbelievable how this happened to me twice in a row though... I guess there's a first time for everything.
    Last edited by legendya; May 9th, 2013 at 03:09 AM.
    .•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´ℓσsʈ iɳ α ɖαγ∂ɼeαღ`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•..•*゚

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Re: How do you remove perfume from hair?

It should wear off on its own.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I can't see why it wouldn't come off with your standard wash, my clothes never smell of anything but the washing stuff afterwards.

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Wash your hair and clothes. You don't have to do anything special. (I've never washed stinky clothes separately, but my clothes get stinky from farm animals, a different kind of stink!) It should come right out! Good luck!

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

may the forks be with you faellen's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

As above, you shouldn't have to do anything different than a normal wash.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Ugh, I feel your pain. My nose is very sensitive to perfumes and on the occasions that I've accidentally used a highly perfumed product on my hair or laundry it takes multiple washes to remove the smell. I'd wash your affected clothes separately just to be on the safe side otherwise you could end up washing a while load multiple times. Perhaps a soak in the sink and handwash first if your machine doesn't have a small load setting? Use the products you would normally use, just be aware that it may take many washes to completely remove the smell.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Hair: I see no reason why it shouldn't come out with a simple wash. But if it doesn't, the simplest,if possible, raw tomato puree (if N/A, ketchup) should help. Even just tomato put in the blender, but then you might have bits in your hair later, that you can brush out after it's dry. Tomato is an excellent de-odorizer, in the literal sense. People use it to remove brassy or green stain from the hair (like swimming pool stain) but it works for strong odors too, proven, confirmed.

Clothes, I have no idea, everything came out with a simple wash so far. The only odor that I haven't managed to get out from certain (wool) clothes and I can't stand is cigarette smoke. I had to throw some things away because of that.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

If they are clothes that have to be dry cleaned, hang them outside for a while, if not raining and the smell should dissipate. Otherwise usual washing, as well as your hair, should get the smell out.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I sympathize. I once tried a perfume spray during my lunch break and the scent gave me a headache all afternoon.

If the odor doesn't come out after a regular wash, I'd soak the clothes in a baking soda solution in the washing machine, then run the load. You can add more detergent if you want do, but I usually don't because the baking soda seems to be really good for removing any residual scent.

I've never noticed any scent lingering in my hair after a wash except once when the snake released musk on me. It took 3 washings to get that out.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

It should come right out with no problems. Only thing I've had linger after a wash is cigarette smoke (and DF's particularly strong perfume oil, but I don't mind that one! )

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4