Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

@kamir0 Thanks so much!

Hey pals -
    still fighting the urge to rinse, even though my hair is the smoothest it's ever been in it's life.
    It just looks dull and greasy; religious on the scritch/preen/comb twice a day.
    The updos are rock solid, so that's a plus . . .
    Oh, and there are some flakes at the hairline - NOT diggin that.
    Need an intervention.

Length
    5mm/H/5mm-S/:-P
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Proo proo
    whatever you do
    don't look don't look
    or your hair will be mistook
    for hair that is unheathly
    through the eyes of the wealthy
    but this shall pass
    and you'll have class
    hard to believe
    or even concieve
    your hair will sparkle and shine
    and all will think it devine!
    NW/SO since January 20, 2012 ... ... ... ...

Alrighty then -
    Bedhead has managed to channel the late, great Dr. Seuss for my intervention!
    The depth of my gratitude is as deep as
    the deep blue sea.

But what about them flakes?
    Couple a days now.

Length
    APL/BSL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

Just thought I would update. I'm thinking that jojoba oil does not work with my hair so well. last time I WO washed then very lightly jojoba-ed the length, air dried for 2-3 hours and slept with it still damp. woke up with it damp and the curls looked great. but they went frizzy quickly and dropped dramatically once I went outside. Also, by the end of the day my hair felt and looked really waxy/oily. Like I have too much sebum. And it's itchy again. And tanglier than ever!

I am feeling that strict WO won't work for me long term unless I find a solution to this frizz problem. I want low maintenance. -That is, wash and leave and it will actually look good if I go outside the house and do things almost straight away, or wash and leave for a bit and sleep damp and wake and not have to do anything and it will look great for the whole day. I rarely have 1 or 2 spare hours in which to dry my hair, I either have to go to work or go to sleep within maximum 3 hours from washing time during the week. I used to always put it up wet after S&C and just go to work. But I've found putting it up wet on WO will mean when I take it out and want to wear it down the next day it looks super oily and clumpy. I know I wanted to increase clumpability, but I want the waves/curls to be defined and smooth without looking dirty/waxy/oily and gross. Is this possible? Is WO low maintenance? Is it possible for my fine, dark, sometimes curly, sometimes only a little wavy, BSL, layered hair to look good out without much time to tend to it, and without it turning into a frizzy fluff ball?

Sorry for the whinge. I'm in a bit of hair despair at the moment. I'm determined to go one more week, next week will be week 8 of WO. And then I WILL do the ACV+honey mixture rinse. I'm scared about it. But I know I need to try something else.

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

decided to try damp oiling last night anything to help prevent that nest at the back of my head. damp oilling never worked for me before the oil didnt distribute right and left me with greasy stringy patches but this time it seem to have gone pretty well. only consistant change ive made since then is going wo so maybe i can add this back to my arsenal

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Yesterday I shampooed after a deep conditioning with oil... When it was still wet, I did something I normally avoid - I brushed my wet hair. Specifically, I used a tangle teezer, though many combs and brushes would probably work for this. As I brushed my scalp, I noticed white sebum on each tip. So I bushed once on my scalp and then brushed through my ends, then repeated until I wasn't picking up so much sebum anymore.

My hair today is the best it's been in a while, though of course I also did that deep conditioning so it's hard to tell how much effect this brushing had. I do think my hair is less curly than it otherwise would have been. I'm definitely going to try it again on its own.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    5mm/H/5mm-S/:-P
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I'm suspecting your focussing your scritching time mostly over the scalp and less along the hairline. I would actually give yourself a really good scritching session (minimum 15 minutes), gentle, slow and thorough), and make sure your getting that hairline. I do this every 3 weeks to a month.

Hope that helps!
    NW/SO since January 20, 2012 ... ... ... ...

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

proo,
    To inspire you, I want to share my experience today.
    I washed my hair after oiling it.
    Wish I didn't.
    Hair is now air drying from dilute soap nut rinse.
    Details are in my blog.
    Persevere, I suggest.

Thanks gals -
    goes off to meditatively scritch, preen, comb,
    urge to rinse becoming a dim memory.