Page 407 of 875 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417457507 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,070 of 8749

Thread: The Archives: The Merged NW/SO/WO Thread

Length
    37/FTL/58
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

How did everyone deal with the colour darkening? I'm washing my hair today after 2 1/2 weeks as I've had two people ask if I coloured my hair. I love the braid waves now. They're very noticeable when I take my hair down and my length feels silky.
    “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”Philippians 4:13
    2016 Goal: thicken hemline | 2017 Goal: Possible calf length?
    From hip length Jan 2011 - > knee length (2016) -> Going for ankle 2018

Length
    Hip/Fgtip/More!

FoxyRoxy13, from what I remember, curlies had two complaints:
    • They missed their curls after awhile (combing/preening dry hair tends to loosen curls).
    • They did not produce enough sebum so, although the transition was fast, they needed to supplement with oil, even on the scalp sometimes.

In the archived thread, Speedbump was one of them. She may be able to give you some info... I think she had more luck with WO, and went back to it in the end (as far as I know).

proo, found it. Congrats on gaining length.
    Good job for not rinsing. Patience is key.

GrowingGlory, until your sebum production calms down, you can get soft, shiny hair by combing with a super fine-toothed comb (after detangling thoroughly). It won't be "fluffly", but it will look nice in an updo, like this. HTH

TheBluffs, I did not notice any change in colour, but my hair is darker than yours (save for all the grey )... I can't help but notice people commented that your hair looked a different colour, not dirty...

As for an update, I slept with a crown braid to "air", well, the crown of my head overnight. I haven't taken it down yet so I don't know if it worked, but at least it was comfortable. It is much better than a few weeks ago, but I have to comb the back of my head very thoroughly whenever I wear a low bun, etc. because it looks more piecy than the rest of my hair...
    Hip...Tailbone...Classic...Fingertip...?

Length
    5mm/H/5mm-S/:-P
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

FoxyRoxy13, I am a curly, and with WO I have spirals. With NW/SO I don't have curls, more waves, but if I spritz, I can get some curl back, but they're more like wurlys. ETA: And as kamir0 says I find using a little olive oil with a mild misting of water on my ends, at first every 4 days, but now every week, helps with moisture.

proo, I found it too!. You did good! Congratulations! And I saw you were continuing for another 2"... excellent!

GrowingGlory, this si what I do... I take my wooden comb an slowly comb from underneath in an upward fashion. It feels good too, makes my scalp breathe.

TheBluffs, eventually your sebum production will calm down and your colour will come back more glorious than ever.
    Last edited by Bedhead; May 16th, 2012 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Forgot something!
    NW/SO since January 20, 2012 ... ... ... ...

Length
    BSL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

thanks everyone for the info ^_^ I will continue reading and consider my options. I'm thinking I'll try WO for the summer because I plan to swim a lot at the cottage :P

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Thanks, Kamir0 and Bedhead! It looks like I need a fine-toothed comb and a wooden comb so that I can put your advice to good use.

Kamir0, what is the best material for a fine-toothed comb? Bone? Wood? Where can I get one?
    Bedhead, what kind of wood is your comb made of? How wide are its teeth? Where can I get a similar comb?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by GrowingGlory; May 16th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Type
    1a/C/ii/iii

After a month and a half of NW/SO with 2 W/O rinses my hair feels glorious. The only pickle is that I still have dandruff and itchy scalp.

I preen and scritch whenever my roots feel greasier than my lengths (every 2-3 days). Scritching offer temporary relief of itching but it comes back...

I was wondering if I should SMT and then go back to NW/SO

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingGlory View Post
    Bedhead, what kind of wood is your comb made of? How wide are its teeth? Where can I get a similar comb?

Thanks again.
    I use the Body Shop wide tooth wooden comb.

Quote Originally Posted by shirohane View Post
    After a month and a half of NW/SO with 2 W/O rinses my hair feels glorious. The only pickle is that I still have dandruff and itchy scalp.

I preen and scritch whenever my roots feel greasier than my lengths (every 2-3 days). Scritching offer temporary relief of itching but it comes back...

I was wondering if I should SMT and then go back to NW/SO
    Shirohane, correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds as though you're not smp'ing enough. I scritch, massage, and preen, every night and every morning, and do a quick one every time sweat heavily. When you're scritching, make ure you're getting your hairline really good too; it can build-up there and this can cause flakes.

Welcome to the thread all you new NW/SOers!!!

Type
    1a/C/ii/iii

Well, there's no time like the present to test it out. I'll try to SMP everyday for a week and see how it goes from there.

I sometimes scritch with the pads of my fingers and other times with my metal paddle brush (http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Styling-.../dp/B0019CU6T8). Is one better than the other or should I keep alternating?

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shirohane View Post
    Well, there's no time like the present to test it out. I'll try to SMP everyday for a week and see how it goes from there.

I sometimes scritch with the pads of my fingers and other times with my metal paddle brush (http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Styling-.../dp/B0019CU6T8). Is one better than the other or should I keep alternating?
    Ahh, yeah, the point to scritching is to clean the scalp, so we need to use something that will essentially gently scrape it, so I don't think the brush is going to cut it. I tend to use my not so sharp, short nails, but have also used a comb. I follow it with a good massage and preening, and sometimes my scalp will ask for another scritch and massage.

Length
    Hip/Fgtip/More!

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingGlory View Post
    Thanks, Kamir0 and Bedhead! It looks like I need a fine-toothed comb and a wooden comb so that I can put your advice to good use.

Kamir0, what is the best material for a fine-toothed comb? Bone? Wood? Where can I get one?

Thanks again.
    I am vegan, so I use a wooden comb (spacing of 1mm or under), but I have read a lot of praise about horn combs, especially from other NW/SOers (including in the archived thread).

I bought mine off etsy, but I wouldn't recommend the seller.
    She misunderstood me and sanded the design down roughly. It is still functional and the teeth are seamless, but I won't buy off her shop again.
    I also found out she is a reseller...

There a several threads about combs, or you could start one specific to your location, or you could start a thread on the swap board (ISO) if you don't mind using a second-hand comb... HTH

ETA: I agree with Bedhead, scritching to clean the scalp is very important.
    I use my (long, but smooth) nails gently, or my fine-toothed comb (which also helps spread the sebum down to the ends). I scritch until my nails come out clean (I have to clean them several times in the process), then I massage my scalp and finger comb/preen, and finally I use my fine-toothed wooden comb to remove dust/lint and spread sebum down to the ends (very slowly, in thoroughly detangled hair). I make sure to use the comb always in the same direction so that I don't put lint back into my hair (hope that makes sense). I remove lint and extra sebum from the comb several times in the process, with an old (but clean) toothbrush.

On another note, I had pictures taken today. I'm super tired so I'll upload them and post the link tomorrow.
    Last edited by Kamir0; May 16th, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: ETA
    Hip...Tailbone...Classic...Fingertip...?