Page 395 of 875 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405445495 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,950 of 8749

Thread: The Archives: The Merged NW/SO/WO Thread

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

So I'm thinking of trying a mostly WO method, with some dry shampoo for sebum buildup (I'm thinking cocoa powder) and olive oil for the dry ends. WDYT?

When I've done WO (and NW) in the past, I couldn't keep up with the amount of brushing. Though I don't think the transition period will be so bad this time around, now that I've reduced my wash frequency (I usually wash about once every 1-2 weeks, sometimes 4).
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

I've been strict WO since Jan 1, with some time prior to that interrupted with only one diluted shampoo on the roots avoiding the scalp. Yet my hair has still not transitioned. My hair looks like it was styled with hair wax that was never washed off! I'm not so sure what to do. The smell isn't very pleasant I must say. I really want this to work for me but I don't think it will. My scalp produces lots of oil and my hair looks dull at all times. I can hang in a bit longer with the use of hats but I'm very self conscious about my hair not smelling pleasant. I preen, scritch, do the whole thing. Do any of you have some tips to cover the smell without using products that could build up? Thank you.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LaceyNg View Post
    what kind of acid did you use? ACV? i know when i did an ACV rinse on my WO hair a while back it dried it out soooo much! my length wasnt fully coated in sebum yet though, but what WAS there was all stripped away now if i want to remove some sebum i use a rooibos tea spray instead. chamomile would be even more mild-- you might consider checking a tea rinse or spray out!
    Oops- forgot to add that bit in... I used citric acid. I had major smell issues last time around, so am avoiding almost anything that may leave a scent (the occasional EO in water excepted). I like the citric acid rinse- my hair feels much better, but now that is has dried, it is still too waxy to be considered good but it is better. I might do another rinse in a couple of days and see how it feels. I concentrated on scrubbing scalp with the citric acid in, and my ends now feel worse then my scalp! I BBB'd and my BBB still got gummy, but not as much.

I do know from past experience that I could get my hair almost "shampoo clean" with acid rinses (I was using vinegar then) but it is drying. After WO didn't work for me, and I went on a whirlwind adventure trying to find natural products that moisturised. Like some others have mentioned, oils don't seem to absorb into my hair, just sit on top. LOTS of things are cleansing (acid rinses, BS, eggs if you don't have hair that clings onto smells for dear life ) but I am yet to find a natural moituriser that works as effectively as conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    I've been strict WO since Jan 1, with some time prior to that interrupted with only one diluted shampoo on the roots avoiding the scalp. Yet my hair has still not transitioned. My hair looks like it was styled with hair wax that was never washed off! I'm not so sure what to do. The smell isn't very pleasant I must say. I really want this to work for me but I don't think it will. My scalp produces lots of oil and my hair looks dull at all times. I can hang in a bit longer with the use of hats but I'm very self conscious about my hair not smelling pleasant. I preen, scritch, do the whole thing. Do any of you have some tips to cover the smell without using products that could build up? Thank you.
    McFearless- you have my sympathy. Smell hasn't been an issue this time around, but I have avoided ANY products that may trigger smells (no cornflour or other food products, no ACV, and especially no COCONUT OIL!! This made my hair quite unbearable, leading to several deep shampoos!!) I wish I had some advice- my hair also feels like it is styled with too much hair wax, and looks dull before I comb and BBB, and oily after. But I keep getting DH to comfirm that there is no/very little smell. That was, and would be again, a dealbreaker for me. From experience, once my hair had too much of an odour, it invaded any EO's that I used, and nothing would smell good.

Sorry for not being able to help, but am keen to follow your progress- including successes and failures!

Thanks so much Moor tu lyfe. I agree that when the smell is too strong nothing will mask it but instead the scents will mix and be even more yucky. You've brought up a really good point about eo's too. Do you find any of them in particular to help with scent? I currently have bottles of the following ones: basil, birch, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, peppermint, grapefruit and cedarwood. Thank you.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

When my hair was smelling a bit, I liked the smell of lemon EO the most. So of the ones that you listed, I would probably choose the grapefruit. But it didn't work long term for me.

Do you use anything other then water on your hair? Lots of people use oils etc, which I found not at all helpful, and oils, as well as cornflour, made my hair smell worse. My hair still hasn't transitioned, but DoubleCrowned said it took her about 5 months before she could wear her hair down. Are there any longtimers with advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Moor_tu_lyfe View Post
    When my hair was smelling a bit, I liked the smell of lemon EO the most. So of the ones that you listed, I would probably choose the grapefruit. But it didn't work long term for me.

Do you use anything other then water on your hair? Lots of people use oils etc, which I found not at all helpful, and oils, as well as cornflour, made my hair smell worse. My hair still hasn't transitioned, but DoubleCrowned said it took her about 5 months before she could wear her hair down. Are there any longtimers with advice?
    Okay I will try the grapefruit and report back.
    I don't use anything but water myself.

What completely solved the wax/sebum problem for me was an extremely dilute wash (3 drops prell in a half gallon water). I soaked the hair first in warm water then worked the rinse through followed by a long cold water rinse. I applied 3 drops of MO to length and ends while damp.
    I do this every 2 - 3 weeks; no wax, no smell, no fuss.
    I realize sls shampoos and reactions to them are why you're here in the first place, but it's very different when diluted this much, it cleanses without stripping.
    Most importantly my sebum production has gone way down;
    Not much manipulation required anymore. It gets better all the time.

Length
    5mm/H/5mm-S/:-P
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    When I was WO, when I got waxy, I did rub my scalp with coconut oil, 5-15 minutes before I WO washed, and this helped dramatically, as the oil broke down the sebum.

Do you know how hard your water is? If it's hard you might want to either consider using filtered water or using a lemon juice or citric acid final rinse to deal with the mineral deposits. If it's not hard, then patience will get you a long way. I know it took me almost 6 months to completely, completely transition, as opposed to getting past the waxies stage, which took about 31/2 months. And I have hardish water with some funky minerals in it - a major reason I went NW/SO.

Good luck!
    NW/SO since January 20, 2012 ... ... ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by LaceyNg View Post

what color does it stain/ yellow..? red....? and thanks for the suggestion!
    Bright cadmium yellow. Almost scary.

Sorry, I haven't seen your post; wasn't following the thread for a few weeks.
    Last edited by PolarCathy; April 21st, 2012 at 07:25 AM.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    18/28/29
    Type
    3a/C/iii

Oiling helped with the smell (lemon EO with olive oil, yay!), and I rinsed it again today. Leaving it bunned and wet, and seeing if that makes any difference (as opposed to letting it dry down and curly).

The feel of it is definitely improving though, just the weird smell to contend with now!