Page 332 of 875 FirstFirst ... 232282322330331332333334342382432832 ... LastLast
Results 3,311 to 3,320 of 8749

Thread: The Archives: The Merged NW/SO/WO Thread

Length
    16" ?/30"/thick
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Default Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LaceyNg View Post
    i have another question for anyone who has an answer: i know everybody's timeline is different, but in general does what happens forst-- sebum making its way to the bottom of, say, BSL length hair, or the transition from being greasier than usual to just "normal"? does the sebum take a while to make its way down the shaft?
    My scalp normalized before the ends were coated, but my hair--well, some of my hair--is longer than BSL. Some people have given up on WO because their ends were too dry, so I think it is not unusual for the scalp to normalize first.

Length
    16" ?/30"/thick
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Amber Maiden, LaceyNg, you are welcome. I hope it works for you and am looking forward to your reports. It's fun to see that so many are going to test this method.
    Quote Originally Posted by proo View Post
    The comb/spritz/preen is working great for keeping my head and body warm, yet clean and moisturized. I'm diggin it!
    This method is taking the place of my weekly wash session, which I love and look forward to - but in a good way. It's a very satisfying ritual for me.
    Yes, it beats shivering in the shower, doesn't it?

Do you comb/spritz/preen daily or just once a week in place of your former weekly wash session? What is your hair type?

Quote Originally Posted by lunamummy View Post
    DoubleCrowned - thanks for the great detail. I have tried wiping a washcloth over my hair after spritzing, which helps prolong my time between WO washing. I have very fine hair like yours so I am interested by using cold water to keep greasies at bay and I'm going to try it.

I've also been getting so tangled using the BBB so this way of moving the sebum down the hair sounds ideal!
    You're welcome. Sounds like you were already using a form of spritz-washing.

Another advantage this method has for fine hair is that it is more gentle than the spray from a shower. (I had a roommate who could tell when I washed my hair in the shower by the damage it caused.)

One reason I started WO was because I thought hair coated with sebum would be protected enough that it wouldn't fly around and tangle in the BBB. I had to finger comb only for several months, but can use the BBB sometimes now--very cautiously.

Length
    16" ?/30"/thick
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Signe View Post
    Hey all!
    I just got back from crewing a sailboat for 10 days. We lived on the boat too, so we were constantly at the mercy of the elements!

Single/double braids were out of the question because they would never dry with all the time I spent in and out of the water, but leaving it down to dry would have been a rat's nest. I needed it secure but able to be down and dried out without tangles, so I got all my hair braided in cornrows and microbraids and then I rubbed loads of olive oil mixed with a tiny bit of conditioner into all the braids as soon as they were done.
    I continued to oil them every few days and tried to rinse with cold water when possible, but we only had so much fresh water on the boat in between stops to the harbours, so I usually went without a rinse. I also had to put sunscreen on my scalp between the rows every day, so I am not sure how my hair will be when I take everything out!
    I have rinsed it twice very well with good water pressure since we got off the boat, but the beachy/salty/sunscreen smell is still there. It's nice , but I hope that I don't have to shampoo all this oil and stuff out when I finally am ready to remove all these little braids!

Anyone else ever have to get sunscreen out with WO? How was it?
    What an adventure! Did the sunscreen come out with WO?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCrowned View Post
    Amber Maiden, LaceyNg, you are welcome. I hope it works for you and am looking forward to your reports. It's fun to see that so many are going to test this method.

Yes, it beats shivering in the shower, doesn't it?

Do you comb/spritz/preen daily or just once a week in place of your former weekly wash session? What is your hair type?

You're welcome. Sounds like you were already using a form of spritz-washing.

Another advantage this method has for fine hair is that it is more gentle than the spray from a shower. (I had a roommate who could tell when I washed my hair in the shower by the damage it caused.)

One reason I started WO was because I thought hair coated with sebum would be protected enough that it wouldn't fly around and tangle in the BBB. I had to finger comb only for several months, but can use the BBB sometimes now--very cautiously.
    Spritz wash hasn't entirely replaced my WO - but it's gettin there! It has allowed me to go 2 weeks between washes, and I could have held out longer. Like I said, it's my spa time that I love so I need it on that level. But the spritz wash is such a soothing ritual - the scalp feels clean and massaged afterward - that it could eventually replace it.
    Just did a 2" New Year's chop - I'm now at just 24" again, but all heat damage is gone!!!
    My hemline is nicely thick and blunt; hair texture is 1c underneath, 2c canopy and coarse/fine.
    I am determined to protect these ends with diligent protection; fortunately I can still crown braid it.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

hmmm... Any ideas on how to get the avocado oil out of my hair? and get flakes off my scalp? I'm not that oily on top, but the length is- except for the very ends which are drying our again- from the avocado oil. I've been trying to massage and comb and brush the flakes out, but it's not working??? I 'washed' my hair last night alternating between cold and hot water and feeling from the top down my length, and it worked a bit for the oil- but not much.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    12/24/??
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

I caved yesterday and used shampoo. My hair wasn't even that greasy but my scalp hurt and I had a headache from fighting with my hair in the morning without success and ending up with a tight ponytail when my time was up and I had to rush to work. By the end of the day I hurt and I was frustrated and I just wanted to have a hot shower and nice hair after. After the shower I remembered why I stopped using commercial products in the first place. They make me itch! I didn't realize how much until I hadn't been itching for so long. I think I'll try WO again... It'll be interesting to see if I get greasy less quickly this time.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Unhappy Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

I'd like to ask everyone how I might be able to clean my hair without resorting to shampoo...

I haven't used shampoo and conditioner since Shortly after we moved here in June because I didn't like the new stuff I got- I thought it left my hair looking very much like it did when I tried WO before. So I just stopped using it.

I've been pretty happy most of the time and my hair was nice enough that I'd wash it once a week with just water. Temperature does matter for me- warm or hot water seemed to make me need to wash more frequently. I must have been using water too warm or something, because now it seems like all my time trying to clean my hair now- even the times I try super-cold water, isn't doing much. My hair looks greasy.

Other than trying to super-cold wash it every single day, do you all have any suggestions? I have a couple brushes I use a large one with plastic bristles and a mini version of it, also a thinner (not oval) S-curved one with plastic bristles. I'm trying to keep them clean with the theory that if the gunk is coming off on my brushes it's better than in my hair. /shrug I also have a boar bristle brush. Seems like it doesn't do anything, but it does feel nice.

Again, any help would be great, I don't want to quit now.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
    I'd like to ask everyone how I might be able to clean my hair without resorting to shampoo...

I haven't used shampoo and conditioner since Shortly after we moved here in June because I didn't like the new stuff I got- I thought it left my hair looking very much like it did when I tried WO before. So I just stopped using it.

I've been pretty happy most of the time and my hair was nice enough that I'd wash it once a week with just water. Temperature does matter for me- warm or hot water seemed to make me need to wash more frequently. I must have been using water too warm or something, because now it seems like all my time trying to clean my hair now- even the times I try super-cold water, isn't doing much. My hair looks greasy.

Other than trying to super-cold wash it every single day, do you all have any suggestions? I have a couple brushes I use a large one with plastic bristles and a mini version of it, also a thinner (not oval) S-curved one with plastic bristles. I'm trying to keep them clean with the theory that if the gunk is coming off on my brushes it's better than in my hair. /shrug I also have a boar bristle brush. Seems like it doesn't do anything, but it does feel nice.

Again, any help would be great, I don't want to quit now.
    I would recommend a warm wash, but a cold rinse. See here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=77

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Post Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieRose View Post
    My hair is APL and I feel like I started transisitioning out and the sebum started reaching my ends around the same time. I am in my 9th week (I think...lol) and I feel like my hair is almost normal. My hair still seems to feel a little stringy but it does seem to be getting better. I think I am being too picky!
    I'm sure it's different for everybody though!
    9 weeks seems like such a long time, since i've just started! i'm hopeful that using poo bars for a while before this WO will help make my transition not so bad. right now i'm washing every night-- how long did it take before you could comfortably skip a day?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCrowned View Post
    My scalp normalized before the ends were coated, but my hair--well, some of my hair--is longer than BSL. Some people have given up on WO because their ends were too dry, so I think it is not unusual for the scalp to normalize first.
    interesting! they just felt like the sebum was never going to get to the ends? do you now if they tried any oils on the ends to compensate?

Quote Originally Posted by proo View Post
    Spritz wash hasn't entirely replaced my WO - but it's gettin there! It has allowed me to go 2 weeks between washes, and I could have held out longer. .....
    Just did a 2" New Year's chop - I'm now at just 24" again, but all heat damage is gone!!!
    2 weeks between washes! i'm soooo envious! have you ever had any scalp issues such as SD or itchy flakey-ness? i'd love to get to much less frequent washes like that, but i'm not sure if thats possible since i've always battled my scalp flakes. i guess eventually i'll find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    hmmm... Any ideas on how to get the avocado oil out of my hair? and get flakes off my scalp? ......
    maybe try a diluted ACV rinse i've been thinking about doing one myself to help exfoliate away flakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkey View Post
    I caved yesterday and used shampoo. My hair wasn't even that greasy but my scalp hurt and I had a headache from fighting with my hair in the morning without success and ending up with a tight ponytail when my time was up and I had to rush to work. By the end of the day I hurt and I was frustrated and I just wanted to have a hot shower and nice hair after. After the shower I remembered why I stopped using commercial products in the first place. They make me itch! I didn't realize how much until I hadn't been itching for so long. I think I'll try WO again... It'll be interesting to see if I get greasy less quickly this time.
    hahahahaha you almost sound like an addict: "i couldn't help myself, i had to use crack!"
    as for your confession, maybe hail mary's can be substituted for scalp massages...?

“U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip

Length
    16" ?/30"/thick
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by LaceyNg View Post

interesting! they just felt like the sebum was never going to get to the ends? do you now if they tried any oils on the ends to compensate?
    Yes, some, maybe all, oiled their ends. After thinking about it, I came up with the theory that the oiling the ends, in their cases, was thinning the sebum which was there, helping water wash it away. If you think about it, oil is what moves sebum, and water (especially warm water) removes oil. I proposed that these people try oiling the scalp rather than the ends and wait overnight in order to help the sebum move down the hair shaft. At least one person tried oiling the scalp and said that it helped.

Many here oil their ends successfully, though. Maybe their success has to do with factors such as how far up the hair shaft counts as "ends" to them. Maybe the way they oil actually moves excess sebum to the ends. Another factor might be whether they oil their hair while it is wet or dry. Maybe the fineness or coarseness of the hair has something to do with the success of WO oilers. Perhaps the kind of oil has to match the hair somehow.

Opinions, instructions from successful WO oilers would be interesting posts.