Page 3 of 875 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: The Archives: The Merged NW/SO/WO Thread

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Ruthietoothie,

I don't know about the water-repelling thing. Of course it would repel more then not-sebumy-hair, but of course you would lost some of the sebum too, depending on how often you go swimming. I don't think it's very bad - I got occassional wet hair too when caught in heavy rain (I hate umbrellas ), and it doesn't had put me backwards very much with NW/SO. Just try and look, how your hair takes it.

And please post the results!

PS: In the old thread someone here was often swimming in salt-water during the summertime last year (I don't know who), and it hasn't affected her hair badly, as far as I remember.

Current routine: Henna every 3rd or 4th week, scalp-WO-washes every 1 1/2 week

Length
    3 in./APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

Hi, I have been looking through this thread (old and new), and I have been wondering for all of the curly and wavy girls, how do you all keep your hair curly? And for the others, do you wear your hair down very often? And for those that are NW and SO for awhile, why go NW? Do you here any negative comments about your hair? I am curious and would like to know. Thank you!
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived"~ Strictly Ballroom

Length
    15/21/25
    Type
    2c/F/ii

You are right, Rosa, i don't think NW would actually repel water, but maybe it would give some protection, is what I meant. And it's just a theory...I have yet to see the results for myself!

Shicurls...my ordinarily wavy hair is much straighter on NW. But for me it's hard to see what my hair would ordinarily be since I wear it up all the time, and when I take it down, it retains the kinks and waves from the updo it was just in. However, there have been a few times I have worn it down under a hat lately, and my hair formed some ringlets all on it's own...which was pretty cool!
    Last edited by ruthietoothie; March 13th, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
    Ruth. 3/17/10:I've tried many things...Water Only, No Water, ACV and BS, but for now, I'm back to Shampoo and Conditioner. I don't like it, but I don't like my hair any which way I try, so it doesn't matter really.

Account Closed by Member Request

No, I don't wear my hair down very often. In fact, I never wear it down as I am participating in the "Hair up for one year" challenge. I think I could wear my hair down sometimes, but perhaps not always. I still have good and bad and just normal hair days, so that would probably work best on my good hair days.

I am NW/SO since four months now so I guess I count as a long-time SO person. The reason I started NW was my scalp. I had a very dry scalp, I was flaking big flakes and a big amount. So I started diluting my shampoo, which got things better only slightly. Then I went WO which was almost okay, but I didn't like my hair going greasy again some days after being washed. So I started NW for the first time. After nine days. I stopped because my hair was too greasy, but - and that is important - I had not found the right routine. But shortly after being WO again, I decided I would give NW a second chance, as I was not quite happy with my hair being caught in the grease cycle (hair gets washed, sebum is gone, sebum comes back, hair gets washed again etc.). After three weeks, I was quite unhappy as my mother said my hair looked greasy, but thanks to Rosa's bun instructions I managed to go on and am happy since.

The benefits from NW/SO for me since then: my shedding almost stopped after some time and my scalp is now really good (and waaaayyyy better than it was during shampoo or WO).
    I even had some nice comments about my hair (and besides that negative comment from my mother I had none).
    Of course, NW/SO doesn't cost nothing: a BBB is recommendable, but some curlies did not use it as it uncurled their hair, but they were fine without, I think. But even if it costs you no money, it sure costs time, especially during the first weeks.

I hope that answers a few questions!

Greetings,

Hairytale.
    Last edited by Hairytale; March 13th, 2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: ETA: Rosa, your buns look fantabulous!

Length
    18/28/29
    Type
    3a/C/iii

Hey everyone! It's good to be back!

So I'm a semi NW person. I rinse very infrequently, mostly when I want my curls for a special occasion.

Then again, our shower has been broken for a month, so showering goes like this:

1. Turn on shower (temp at cold).
    2. Wait a bit.
    3. Turn temp half way up.
    4. Wait a bit more.
    5. Turn shower up as hot as it will go.
    6. Wait a bit more.
    7. When the water goes from 'freezing' to 'lukewarm', leap into the shower.
    8. The water will then be 'comfortably hot' for precisely eight seconds. Wash fast.
    9. Jump out of the shower before it goes freezing cold again.
    10. Towel off. Grumble about the shower being broken.

Then I joined the gym, so I rinsed my hair just for the sheer novelty of a hot shower. But most of the time I'm NW. And I add oil, actually, because my hair gets dry on the ends because of the yucky weather. I rinse when I want my curls back, that's about it.

Length
    3 in./APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

Thank you for your responses, ruthietoothie and Hairytale. I would love to know some more of your guys' routines in managing NW hair. I do wish I could have spent more time reading the archives before the site went down, but such is life! I have started WO, because I have scalp issues. My hair is still hovering around shoulder length, so updos aren't yet a real option. I would love to eventually try NW, so please keep letting me know your positive and negative experiences with this process.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived"~ Strictly Ballroom

Length
    24/Pixie/n/a
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Hi all, it is great to see so many new faces here.

I have had a tough week with wanting to WO as my hair was feeling blah (heavy and dry) and my scalp was really itchy. However thanks to a recipe for Aloe / Glycerine / Coconut Oil I read about (I think it was girlcat who posted it) it is feeling much better. I have used a tiny amount of this morning and night since Tuesday night (rub over canopy and remainder on hands on ends and then massage front of scalp) and the fuzz on the top has eased and my scalp is way happier. I will have to see if this builds up and go from there.

I wear my hair up M-F to work as it is easier that way and sometimes loose in the evening. Over the weekends it is nearly always loose or in a half up and it looks great. I have had so many compliments on how good it is looking.

The next difficulty I am anticipating is July when we are going to the coast on holiday for 2 weeks. I suspect swimming and salt water will mean I will need to WO and use lots of coconut oil.
    I still love the idea of long hair, but really enjoying my all natural pixie. Contemplating growing to layered bsl & strawberry blond with cassia & henna.

Do you have suggestions for nice-looking shower caps? Perhaps some you can also wear for swimming, that would perhaps ease the problem of swimming in the summer...

Well, I'll revive this thread with following good news: I was able to upload pictures to my photo album! You'll find some updo pics and some of my hair down. Hope you enjoy them!

Length
    24/Pixie/n/a
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I did a WO with a vinegar rinse and a leave in of Coconut Oil on Saturday night, I just could not cope with my itchy, flakey scalp anymore. My scalp feels soooooo much better.

I am staying NW but I will WO as and when my scalp gets really itchy and flakey - probably about every second month.

I had made 76 days of NW before I just could not take my scalp anymore. I do not regret doing the WO and the difference is amazing.

Hopefully my scalp will eventually settle, but till then I will WO as needed.
    I still love the idea of long hair, but really enjoying my all natural pixie. Contemplating growing to layered bsl & strawberry blond with cassia & henna.