Page 227 of 875 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277327727 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 8749

Thread: The Archives: The Merged NW/SO/WO Thread

Default Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

So I have a question too.. any1 here using henna//henndigo on WO hair? Question is, since the hair is coated it won't take the "dye" right? I know my hair doesn't take commercial dyes but I never tried henna.
    TIA!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    ~22/32/term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

IStand4u - I, too, am a curly girl, though I think a little less than you are. My hair did not really go through much of an oily phase, as much as a dandruff problem, which is still going on. I have found that total immersion (bath instead of a shower) helps to rinse it out a lot better. I have been doing WO for over 3 weeks now, and my hair does look much healthier (I tended to be dry before). Because the BBB tends to stretch out my curls/waves into longer waves, I just brush before I wash, then comb afterwards (sometimes I comb IN the shower/bath too), and scrunch.

I am not sure about the gel...I personally would probably try oil to keep the frizzies away, but like I said, oiliness usually is not a problem for me.

Length
    ~22/32/term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Oh, and I should add that I would not be surprised if you stopped needing gel altogether after a while - just a BBB to smooth it down is all I need anymore.

Length
    18/short/48
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Cool, thank you Spinny!

Yeah, the problem is I'm just starting and I'm going to be making the transition very gradual but the transition will be longer as well, s that might play a factor into things.

For now, I'll make some more flax seed gel (love the stuff), since I have competitions this weekend and HAVE to have "perfect" hair (almost literally, talking a half bottle of heavy duty gel usually).

I'm looking forward to trying out WO, and eventually NW/SO
    Super short again!

Length
    10/10/24
    Type
    1b/F/i

Istand4U:
    I tried to jump right in with WO and had a few trial and errors when I couldn't stand the greasiness. (BS, ACV, lemon juice, CO). I have determined that WO without anything else was the best. My transition lasted one month. My hair is definitely different from yours with it being straight and fine so the results might be different. But, I did find that WO with allowing the natural oil to coat the length lead to less flyaways and being able to hold my hair in updo's with minimal effort (a hairstick - which I could never do before). I also noticed on some threads that longer haired curlies that WO - their hair would eventually get straighter until next WO. I don't know if that would be easier to have that firm bun/braid for dancer hair or not.

Do you normally wear your hair up? If so I would say jump right into WO and don't worry about the CO. Everyone will think you have product in your hair to hold it in the updo. I also use a BBB to smooth my hair - this might not work for you because your curly.

I have am now more than ever determined to be WO with some oiling every once in awhile. I love the smell of lavendar EO. Typically it takes 2 WO for me to get oil out. I alternate hot and cold water with lots of scalp message.

Good luck with the flax gel!

Length
    18/short/48
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Thank you both very much! I'll be makes some flax seed gel today (gotta find my recipe for it again), and I'll probly use that with a bit of hair spray (mostly because it has to last 2 dances and sleeping in it in a hotel to boot...)

So far I've stopped with a CO and have done two WO because I was lazy and was curious if my hair would be soft this time too. So far, I need a bit of coconut oil on my ends (not as much as before though) and the I'm good to go for the day!

I will definately be keeping this up!
    Super short again!

Length
    chin/bsl/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Spinny View Post
    Has anybody else had dandruff issues while transitioning to WO? I use a BBB to try to get rid of the flakes, but it only seems to stir up even more.
    Yeah i get flakes too!! I didn't at first but then I started getting these really little ones like snow when i used the brush. ACV will stave it off for a bit, as will a nice cool water rinse, but i can't leave my hair unwashed for a week anymore like i used to which is really aggravating! tell me if you have any luck getting rid of yours!

Length
    ~22/32/term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Signe - I am trying not to BBB unless I am about to get in the shower, so I don't stir up too many flakes. I, too, am getting the tiny little flakes. But it's hard not to BBB because I really want the ends to be moisturized too, and my natural oils just haven't made it that far.

I had to drop DH off at a medical appointment the other day, and DD was asleep in her car seat, so I spent about an hour pulling flakes out of my hair while I waited and had nothing else to do.

I am noticing much more oiliness w/o water at all than with...so I am trying not to WO every day, and see if I can work the oil further down faster.

Length
    1.25/4.25/BSL+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I'm considering trying WO again....for the who-knows-what-time. Now that summer's coming and my hair is long enough to put up I might be able to get past the first couple of weeks. LOL

But my question is: How do you do WO with hard water? I see the mineral build up in my shower and on things like my rinse bottle and I just imagine that happening to my hair. Ick!

Will an ACV rinse prevent that? Some other trick?

Thanks!

Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Hard water seems to be a toughy. Our water is hard, and I've found that acid rinses help, but don't solve the problem completely. I think the best answer to that problem so far as been to get a filter for your shower head. DH and I have a gym membership, and our gym doesn't have hard water, so we've been using that as motivation to go work out. lol. "Oh, you want to be clean today? Guess you have to go run a few miles then..."

I have a few questions for WOers though-

Do you/ have you used cornstarch to cut down on the pieceyness of your roots, and do you think that affects the transition?

After your hair adjusted to WO, how often do you wear it down/can you wear it down? Do the roots look piecey or oily?