Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I finally cut back to knee!

Type
    2a/M/iii

Cool I finally cut back to knee!

I did it! after almost 3 years of working up the courage, I finally cut my hair back to knee, achieving a LHC-long dream of successfully thickening my hemline!

I know this is the opposite direction from most people, but I just want some congratulations here, because I'm really proud of myself. It take a lot to make me want to cut my hair (there's some connection there to having super-long hair, I can't think what...), and I've been trying to do it for two and a half years now, both because I always wanted a thicker hemline, and because ankle-length hair was a huge pain. It tangled more than usual, and since my hair was significantly longer than my arms it was much more difficult to untangle (same goes for back-braiding), I stepped on it, I had to be careful not to let it get down the drain while I was showering, I had to wrap it around my neck to finish a braid, I even had to wrap it around my neck to go to the bathroom since flipping it over my shoulder wasn't good enough (it'd just drag on the ground next to the toilet which is just as gross ). ...But I couldn't just CUT it! I was so close to the floor! I couldn't just stop before reaching another milestone I never knew I wanted to reach...

Last year (after 2 years of dithering about it) I decided that was that: I was going to force myself to cut my hair by dyeing the last 12 inches blue, so that when the color faded and it started looking terrible, I'd be forced to cut it. Unfortunately, I LOVED the blue color, and it never faded, so my strategy backfired - I wanted even less to cut it, deciding I'd just wait till it finally hit the floor. But strangely, even after 2 years at ankle, my hair never gained those last 2-3 inches to reach the floor. I decided, in the end, that this must be terminal, and I had no more reason to wait. (it's not like I wanted my hair dragging on the floor anyway, the goal was purely for the novelty of it)

So THIS year (yesterday, to be precise) I finally did it, and it feels FANTASTIC. My hair just slides through my fingers, tangle-free, it takes way less time to braid, and best of all, my hemline is fuller than it's ever been in my entire life! All my life my hair has been thin at the end, when I was younger because I didn't treat it very well, and then after I found LHC because I stopped trimming it so it basically always looked like it was at terminal. When I first joined LHC I thought, "wow, it'd be nice to have a thick hemline like some of those women" but then I thought about how long that would take and gave up then and there. But it turns out my LHC-changed ways have paid off, and my braid looks completely different than it ever has before. I feel like a whole new person! This must be what it's like when people cut their hair...I've never tried it before!

Want pictures?
    This is the before picture:

and this is the after picture:

Close-ups:

And here's the change in braid tassels:

isn't that amazing?!?

This is what I cut off. I hadn't realized it, but that's actually a really long distance from knee to ankle!

Anyway, I'm sure I'll miss having my hair swishing around my ankles, and having the longest hair I can achieve (knee feels so short now, after years of ankle! so conventional!), but for now, I'll enjoy it being so tangle-free and thick at the bottom, and and so easy to manage. I love it!

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: I finally cut back to knee!

Congratulations!! I'm glad you're enjoying your hair again. And don't worry, knee length is still super long as well. The only thing I'd say is if you loved the blue so much maybe add some more in to your new ends. But in the meantime, good for you!!
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Congratulations, Lunnafindel! I'm so happy your happy with your hair again! I mean, losing a FOOT of length and being happy about it?

Your story gives shorties like me hope!
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

Length
    20"/20"/48"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Congratulations! It looks lovely!

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Wowzers! Your hair looks (and looked) great. Your braid tassle looks so nice and neat now though, that must be an awesome feeling!
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

SavedByGraceThroughFaith JadedByEntropy's Avatar
    Length
    52/48/52
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Thats not even knee, its calf! Wow! I did a similar 12" chop last summer to bcl. I've never made it to knee. I'm in awe you remained so long at ankle! Congratulations on the new thicker hemline! Thats so much fun! I vote keep the blue in the bottom. Why not? I remember when you put it in. So happy you're happy with the big change..that takes a lot of courage!

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Yay it looks nice!
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

It looks beautiful! My hair isn't nearly as long as yours but I did the same thing last year. It was so worth it. Now maybe it will get longer than before! I think you made a great choice and in sure you'll be happy with it in the long run. 😁

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

It looks wonderful!! I'm glad you're happy with it, that's the most important thing!

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

That does look wonderful, well done, you! I bet having thicker ends feels wonderful. And that looks like calf length to me
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR