Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who avoid fragranced products on their scalps...

Length
    shldr/hip/term
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: For those who avoid fragranced products on their scalps...

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    akurah, I washed with the H&S classic version today - I can't say I noticed much of a fragrance there.
    The fragrance of lack thereof as detected by our noses isn't the problem. For my skin, presence of fragrance as an ingredient is.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I have eczema and have had great success with diluting my shampoo and using sulfate free shampoos for all washes except clarifying washes. This helps my scalp not get too dried out and helps my eczema not react to the shampooing. I find that for me, my eczema is more often triggered by harsh detergents than fragrances, so I don't know if just diluting would work for you, but it might be something to try. I was able to go from constant itchiness and red, raised bumps on my scalp after washing to almost no itching and no bumps or redness by switching to sulfate free and diluting my shampoo.
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm

Length
    24/35.25/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I'm not sure if I'm sensitive to fragrances, but I do know that some shampoos/conditioners make my scalp terribly itchy. I avoid using them on my length if I'm going to wet-bun my hair after washing it. From experience, that is still too close to my scalp and will make it itch. If I'm going to leave it down, using it on my length might be okay, but I've been completely avoiding the stuff that makes me itch just in case.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    The fragrance of lack thereof as detected by our noses isn't the problem. For my skin, presence of fragrance as an ingredient is.
    Oh, I get it! Sorry if I misunderstood. Maybe Aldi (our Aldi has one) has a dupe for H&S, and it might have less fragrance (or more). It is another place to possibly look for stuff, I'm just trying to say, I guess. Take a look at their site. Normally their assortment per brand is online. It is here in Belgium.

Yep, here is the brands page for the US:
    https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/aldi-brands/
    Last edited by lapushka; August 14th, 2017 at 07:45 AM.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

Length
    BSL/Waist/H/L
    Type
    3c/4a/M/iii

I've got eczema also but I just don't use commercial hair products at all, not even shampoos. I can't use soap either. My skin react to a lot of stuff. Eczema is also on my hands so it would irritate my hands applying stuff to my hair that shrinks up so it brushes on my neck, shoulders, back and arms. That's a lot of skin contact without even mentioning the scalp and ear areas. Allergic reactions aren't going to just stick to one area of skin either. One of my skin care products that the docs prescribed had a gentle fragrance and that was okay for a while until my skin rebelled against that too so I found out there was fragrance free version. Even so that's expensive and not found in many shops plus there was a time when they stopped manufacturing it. I switched to using coconut oil, olive oil and almond oil. Fragrances are not for me. I've spent most of my life not using them so I don't feel deprived or that I'm really missing out of something. I do like the smell of coconut oil though. I use DIY hair masks for conditioning.
    Last edited by Hairkay; August 14th, 2017 at 08:33 AM.
    Kay BSL > MBL > Waist