Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Castor oil ruined my hair!

Default Re: Castor oil ruined my hair!

Hi nightshade, thanks for your reply. Do you know if I can replace the dissolved oils? 😑

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    43/15/13
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Follow the clarifying wash with a moisturizing hair treatment. A 10+ minute soak in your favorite conditioner will work but probably not as well as a masque.

My hair responds beautifully to coconut oil to the length an hour to a day before washing my hair.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Megster27 View Post
    Hi nightshade, thanks for your reply. Do you know if I can replace the dissolved oils? ��
    Yes you can!

Keep in mind that oils, in of themselves are not moisturizing.

What oils do is impart important lipids and fatty acids, which add softness and flexibility to the hair shaft. Oils are also emollients, more specifically, occlusives, which form a thin, moisture-locking barrier atop the skin and hair cells that reduces the evaporation of moisture. If your hair is very dry oiling might help a bit by replenishing critical fatty acids and by helping it keep whatever small amount of moisture it has inside of it, but it cannot actually moisturize the hair on its own.

The most effective way to go about moisturizing, then, is to

1. Impart moisture using mositure rich ingredients and humecents
    2. Keep moisture inside the hair by using an emollent / occlusive

I would try giving your hair a long soak in conditioner, rinsing, and then sealing that in with an oil. I would pick another hair friendly oil (coconut oil and sunflower oil are both great to start with), rub a few drops in your hands, and then work it over your hair when it's damp.
    Last edited by Nightshade; August 12th, 2017 at 10:18 PM.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I just bought a bottle of castor oil, but I've been using it on my brows and lashes. I have been using argan oil on my hair lately and that seems to really work.