Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Handy Helen Craft Shop on Etsy

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Handy Helen Craft Shop on Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    It's here it's here it's here! (Can you hear me bouncing?) It apparently arrived at the post office last week but I only got the notice in my mail box on Friday. This is a terrible picture and a terrible bun, but I just had to put my hair up with it right away.

From the front it looks like I have a little sprig sticking up and it made me squee so much. That's *exactly* what I wanted it to do.
    Photos cannot capture what my eyes see, no wonder I wasn't sure if I was going to be disappointed or not. The teak color shows through in the most wonderful way, and it's so very lightweight and smooth!

I messaged Hely on eBay where I bought it about its arrival, and of course I forgot to actually attach the photo I wanted, how silly of me. I hope I'll remember to try again tomorrow.
    Oh, wow!

Was just reading the first opage of this thread and immediteley went over to Etsy to check out their shop and saw this stick. My heart dropped. Oh, I nééd this one! Came back here and saw your action shot.

Yay! I deserve a little treat too, right? have been sick.
    Current lenght: 83cm/ almost 33" ~ may 19 2018 ~ Made it to waistlength!

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I got a thud? I got a thud! It was definitely worth the wait. Thanks to everyone who gave me reassurance that I would like it when it came in! I do!

Suze being sick certainly deserves a little pick me up. These pieces are really not expensive at all, even with shipping. (So, yes, you do need it. It feels like satin, and barely has any weight, either. Does this make me an enabler? )

I was almost considering the yellow flower stick, but I'm really glad I settled on this one, stress about the shade and all. I see that they make them in green, teal, tan, and brown, even if all the colors aren't in the shop at the moment. I figure this way if I want to I can add a little flower clip right under the leaves, should i want to.

I think the worst thing about it is that I wanted to wear it yesterday, but I had washed my hair in the morning. No ruining brand new wooden leafy!
    Last edited by enting; October 25th, 2017 at 05:42 AM.

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I got a thud? I got a thud! It was definitely worth the wait. Thanks to everyone who gave me reassurance that I would like it when it came in! I do!

Suze being sick certainly deserves a little pick me up. These pieces are really not expensive at all, even with shipping. (So, yes, you do need it. It feels like satin, and barely has any weight, either. Does this make me an enabler? )

I was almost considering the yellow flower stick, but I'm really glad I settled on this one, stress about the shade and all. I see that they make them in green, teal, tan, and brown, even if all the colors aren't in the shop at the moment. I figure this way if I want to I can add a little flower clip right under the leaves, should i want to.

I think the worst thing about it is that I wanted to wear it yesterday, but I had washed my hair in the morning. No ruining brand new wooden leafy!
    You most certainly got a very well deserved !!

I thought I would go for this one but now see the description says turqoise? But is looks like a dark green to me. Which one of the greens do you think you have?
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/5188508...cks-hair-forks

And yes, it makes you an enabler but to be fair I probably didn't need your services!

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Thank you!
    The one you linked to is a slightly blue green, that's why it's listed as teal. The one I had fallen in love with was actually a lighter green, this one, but he made mine out of older wood so it came out darker, but still very green, not a hint of blue in there. The lighter green had sold on Etsy or one of his other sites minutes before I bought it on eBay, so he offered to either refund me or make another, and this is how mine came out. The shots he sent me of it before shipping look most similar to this one https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/5...home_active_42
    You could always convo if you have a particular shade you'd like, I didn't realize they were so happy to customize things. Hely told me that the thing he hates is to disappoint a customer.
    We can be hairtoy twins! Our hair colors seem similar, too

ETA: multiple thuds! I didn't pay attention that I got thuds from two different members! My first thuds, Crystawni and Suze.

ETA2: I also want to note that in the pictures on Etsy the sticks look shiny, like they have a shiny coating. Mine is matte and Hely gave me instructions on how to make it shiny if I want to. I don't know if that's something that you'd care about, but it might be good to know.

ETA3 so that I don't double post: They have maple leaves now, too! Oh if they ever make these contoured like a real leaf.... https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/5...?ref=related-2 I might need it.
    Last edited by enting; October 25th, 2017 at 12:47 PM.

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Than you so much enting. Talked to Enda and bought the blue fork from Crystawni's post in purple. Asked for a coll toned dark purple with a glossy finish and bought the teal leaf stick that she has listed. I hope I like it irl but I think it is going to be perfect. If I like the fork I will probably buy more of them. This is going to be my first fork and I'm very exited. It is also a very good price if it won't work for me that well. I still need more length do do an actual bun but maybe I can make it work. On 7day hair I can do a LWB with one finger. Stays for about an hour so here's hoping.

-Saw that maple leaf too but was missing something. Like you said if it was contoured as a real leaf it woul be another story.

Crystawni and Wispe, really like the look of your forks in your hair aswell!

ETA: wanted to add these shoppictures. The purple is going to be different but she just changed the color in photoshop so I could make my purchase.

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Ooh, those are going to be great! If the purple comes out anything like the photoshop, wow, that's luminescent!
    Action shots when you get them!

If you can do a LWB, try a disc bun, that should work even easier. A fork might hold a tucked under french braid, too. In theory it should even hold a plain tails-up, if you weave the prongs through your hair. I only purchased my first wood fork recently, so I'm still playing with it. I have a plastic/acetate fork/comb that's quite short, but it doesn't hold quite the same way.

(Currently wearing my leafy stick with a brown shirt. I feel all ... planty )

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Ooh, those are going to be great! If the purple comes out anything like the photoshop, wow, that's luminescent!
    Action shots when you get them!

If you can do a LWB, try a disc bun, that should work even easier. A fork might hold a tucked under french braid, too. In theory it should even hold a plain tails-up, if you weave the prongs through your hair. I only purchased my first wood fork recently, so I'm still playing with it. I have a plastic/acetate fork/comb that's quite short, but it doesn't hold quite the same way.

(Currently wearing my leafy stick with a brown shirt. I feel all ... planty )
    I don't actually want it that bright, that color is beautiful though but I tend to go for more dark cool toned things.

Never tried a disc bun. I will look up a tutorial on how to do it.

And cool that leafy makes you feel al planty. I have a thing for leaves anyway, started a raw vegan diet this year so got really really exited when I saw this one. Feeling very planty lately!��

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Enda has been so nice to me and actually send me pictures already of the finished fork. She also changd the finish of the leafy stick to glossy which I don't really wanted but don't mind either and anyway she put a lot of work into that and I bet it will look beautiful. She just thought since I wanted the fork in a glossy finish I would want that stick in that finish aswell. Well, she goes above and beyond to make customers happy that's for sure.

Here's the picture she send me of the finished items. The purple is really different then what I'd imagined but I'm sure I will like it a lot. Looks like aubergine to me, but might look different irl. If this one works for my hair I probably place an order again.

Length
    21/35/30
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Suze, those look beautiful.

Realised I hadn't posted a picture of my son's fork, so here it is.

Lady Vör, Tome Guardian and Wisdom-Keeper in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I hope you do like them in person Suze, that was fast! I wonder if there's a way to dull the leaf stick if you don't like the shiny coating. As it is, it looks velvety, almost. The picture also looks dim, like it was taken late at night right after finishing or something, I wouldn't be surprised if the colors look a bit different in daylight.

Missbexy that looks great in his hair! It looks like there's room for growth, too. I was curious how it turned out so I checked the Etsy shop reviews and I think I found your review of it there. Thanks for posting here