Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moisture vs. Protein - HELP!

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Moisture vs. Protein - HELP!

Moisture vs. protein has me puzzled. I think when buying conditioners I don't usually pay that much attention to the ingredients, but I think they're pretty much balanced on that part.

I have a packet of "hair mayonnaise" in my possession that I might try once my Garnier Ultra Doux mask (camomile) is gone and we'll see what true protein will do to my hair. I think I will mix it in with a regular conditioner, though, because let's face it, a foil packet isn't gonna cover my hair.

I never otherwise do "true" protein treatments. I just don't see the point on virgin hair, for me personally.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Corvana View Post
    And it's totally normal to need different routines for different seasons! I need to cleanse more thoroughly in the summer (it easily gets to be in the hundreds fahrenheit, so I get sweaty and my hair gets more gross), while in the winter I only need my regular shampoo that's a bit more gentle.
    I notice this in my hair products. I know for sure I need significantly more moisture in the winter otherwise my static is out of control, and the dryness is crazy. Since I'm in a cold climate it gets so dry but the summer is really humid (which it is now) so I experience that sweaty yucky hair thing too.

Length
    MBL/TBL/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I like to make my regular-use masks mostly moisture heavy, but with protein at the end of the ingredient list so that I kill two birds with one stone and don't overload on either moisture or protein. And oils don't moisturize on their own, but they do lock in moisture so you can use them over a leave in conditioner or hair mask, or even just on wet hair.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Moisture vs. protein has me puzzled. I think when buying conditioners I don't usually pay that much attention to the ingredients, but I think they're pretty much balanced on that part.

I have a packet of "hair mayonnaise" in my possession that I might try once my Garnier Ultra Doux mask (camomile) is gone and we'll see what true protein will do to my hair. I think I will mix it in with a regular conditioner, though, because let's face it, a foil packet isn't gonna cover my hair.

I never otherwise do "true" protein treatments. I just don't see the point on virgin hair, for me personally.
    Honestly, I think most people with hair that hasn't had chemical treatments, don't have much of an issue either way. If you perm or relax hair, or do a bunch of bleaching, or maybe use heat tools WAY too much, you might be more sensitive to it. It seems like hennaheads struggle more with getting overproteined than folks who don't use henna, but my set of examples is super limited. There definitely is a subset who benefit from additional protein, moisture, and/or oil even on virgin hair, and lots of folks have trouble with dryness if they wear their long hair loose a lot, but maybe it's not necessary for the bulk of people with virgin hair who protect it?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, #5 comb, in fun colors!

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Honestly, I think most people with hair that hasn't had chemical treatments, don't have much of an issue either way. If you perm or relax hair, or do a bunch of bleaching, or maybe use heat tools WAY too much, you might be more sensitive to it. It seems like hennaheads struggle more with getting overproteined than folks who don't use henna, but my set of examples is super limited. There definitely is a subset who benefit from additional protein, moisture, and/or oil even on virgin hair, and lots of folks have trouble with dryness if they wear their long hair loose a lot, but maybe it's not necessary for the bulk of people with virgin hair who protect it?
    Hmm, I'm not sure. I did get "mushy" hair when my hair was overly bleached, and could have probably used it then, but other than that, yes, I do think that when you have virgin hair, at least that's MMHO, it isn't *as* necessary to pay attention to this.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

Length
    SL/Waist/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

There is a blog called science-y hair blog. It has fantastic information on protein and moisture as well as loads of other useful information. I really recommend it.

Ps sorry I don't know how to do links

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Here's a video that explains how one's hair (usually) acts when it needs moisture or protein:

Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!