Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hairtoy makers who come and go

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Question Hairtoy makers who come and go

I have been pondering this for a while. Since I have been here, I have seen a few hair toy makers come and go. Almost none of them ever to stay in the business for very long. Typically they seem to only last a few years, at most. I've even seen some that only lasted a few months. Almost like a meteor shower... so many dazzling lights, each only enduring for a few seconds before it vanishes into the darkness - but why?

Do they just get bored, and quit? Or is making hair toys sort of a crippling overspecialization, a niche market that only attracts a small group of customers and therefore doesn't net enough profit? If it is a more well known artist, do they get burned out by the demand for their work?

I am sure there are many reasons, I am curious to know what others think?
    Last edited by Spinder; June 17th, 2017 at 04:21 PM.

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Hairtoy makers who come and go

Some may think it is easy money, like a get rich quick plan, and they don't anticipate just how hard it is to make the sticks and forks, maintain stock, deal with customers and shipping, and they fade away. Some may want some money to help along their retirement but eventually they get too old to keep up with the physical side.

You see it a lot in handmade side businesses, soapers, nail polish, vinyl anything, vendors come and go all the time.
    I am Galvatron … you have no right to change what I am!

Length
    32/40/?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I don't think they make very much money. The price of the materials isn't cheap.
    Lady Nephelai, Storm-Breaker of the Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    CBL/Waist/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i

I think it's the fact it's a lot of work doing any creative thing like that, for very little actual profit usually for most makers. Plus some customers make it way harder than it needs to be. So unless it's something where you do enjoy doing it and it keeps you busy, like with Richard and Melissa at LI - I see how it's hard to get burned out on it for that reason.
    And I think depending on what the item is, there just seems to be less of a long term demand for more more more of that thing.
    Another thing that could happen is that people say "Oh, I'd buy such and such if you were making them!" and then you start doing that and sell none/or less than you expected. lol. That happened to me. I made a couple items and kept getting told that people wanted one and I invested in getting all the stuff to make it in multiple colors....Sold 2! lol.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

A lot of crafters will make a thing and then either decide "Hey, I could make money on Thing!" or get asked/encouraged to start selling Thing. The trouble though is twofold:

1. Just because you are good at making a Thing, does not mean you are good at selling a Thing. Business skills are not the same as crafting skills.
    2. Making Things to sell is a lot different than making them for yourself. I personally found that making things to sell is more drudgery (along with not really making me much anyhow).

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

As someone who shifted her store's focus from hair accessories to herbal products, here's why:

- Every time I made a stick/Ficcare I had to
    1) make it
    2) take pictures of it
    3) edit the pictures of it
    4) upload pictures/create the listing
    5) pack it
    6) ship it

Doing just herbs and oils (for now) means that I get to skip steps 2-4 which are the time intensive ones. I can make the listing and the products and then just replenish the oils and herbs as I run out.

And custom orders. Ye gods. By the time you factor in the extra time and the time for communication, which I was always garbage about charging for I wasn't making anything for my time.

One day, when I do NightBlooming and write full time, I'll return to making hair toys, but there's just 0 way to balance doing that, the herbal stuff, writing, AND a full-time job.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by AspenSong View Post
    I think it's the fact it's a lot of work doing any creative thing like that, for very little actual profit usually for most makers. Plus some customers make it way harder than it needs to be. So unless it's something where you do enjoy doing it and it keeps you busy, like with Richard and Melissa at LI - I see how it's hard to get burned out on it for that reason.
    And I think depending on what the item is, there just seems to be less of a long term demand for more more more of that thing.
    Another thing that could happen is that people say "Oh, I'd buy such and such if you were making them!" and then you start doing that and sell none/or less than you expected. lol. That happened to me. I made a couple items and kept getting told that people wanted one and I invested in getting all the stuff to make it in multiple colors....Sold 2! lol.
    This precisely. I'm seeing it right now happen to a maker that I've been buying from. He started making a bunch of a certain labour-intensive item because apparently they were in super high demand...and he's only sold 2. To me. Other people (including those who had previously shown interest) seem to be immediately deterred by the high price tag or think it's not really worth the price, but people don't seem to understand that handmade quality hair toys that are not mass-produced are a lot of work to make from scratch. No matter how small or simple they may look.

With that in mind, it's hard for a lot of people to stay in business this way.

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I really want to learn to make turned acrylics sticks (when we move to a place where I have the workspace...), and I'm fully expecting not to be able to make money off it. I want to do it because I'm unable to work and I'm desperate for something meaningful to do. But if I was working, I wouldn't even consider it because of the time involved!

June 2018: Big chop
    CBL - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TBL

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

It also depends on the state you live in. Having to project and file taxes by the quarter for your business, keeping track of all the materials you buy, what you sell, shipping, returns, customer service, etc. It makes running a shop really cumbersome instead of enjoyable. I can definitely see someone quickly burning out with this scenario.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Its not cheap to sell on etsy, ill tell you that.

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.