Thread: Split white baby hair strand?

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Split white baby hair strand?

This is puzzling to me. I thought gray/white hair was supposed to be stronger than the res of your hair. I literally found ONE gray hair about a month ago and I pulled it out. It was about an inch long and kind of strange. Basically it was split in the middle and the texture was strange plus it went out really easily so I even thought - maybe this was some animal hair that somehow came on my head.

About a month and half later (now) I find a good centimeter long hair on the same spot. White and split in the middle. Texture not what I would expect from graying hair. What is going on? Does it mean once I go gray all my hair will be of this bad quality? Already split while growing out? It is just really confusing.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Split white baby hair strand?

Sometimes you can have 2 hairs growing in one follicle. It happens. It doesn't mean the hair is damaged and or split to the root. Don't pull it out again, please!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Yeah, husband has follicles with 2-3 hairs popping out of each. Seems to be the norm for some people.

But I don't think gray hairs are necessarily stronger than the rest. Some people report that theirs are wirey, others that theirs are finer. Mine seem to feel exactly the same as the rest. Certainly, because they lack melanin, gray hairs are more susceptible to UV damage, but that's about the only generalization I would make.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Anje, mine are finer. I thought I had F hair, OMG, those whites! They are truly fly-away material.

I have the odd follicle too with 2 hairs instead of one. It mostly occurs on my legs and... nether region, but I've had at least one on my head too (it's hard to find if you don't just randomly come across one, though).

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I could not say it was two folicles. It looked like the split part made a sort of cirle. The hair looked sort of... smashed. But I will take this explanation for now and hope it is true .

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

I guess it depends on the texture of gray hair, but I've heard gray-haired women complain that the texture they have is more prone to being too dry.

My silver and white hair is soft, fine, and curly; it tends to be dry and loves moisture.

I don't think it is fragile by any means as I have no breakage or splits....ever.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

My silvers are noticeable because they are 2a among my 1a pigmenteds. Otherwise they have the same [excessive] fineness and appear neither sturdier nor weaker.

It's possible that your unpigmented strand is simply responding to your care routine in a slightly different way from the rest of your hair. That certainly would be normal. Many of us change our routines as white overtakes.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by juliaxena View Post
    I could not say it was two folicles. It looked like the split part made a sort of cirle. The hair looked sort of... smashed. But I will take this explanation for now and hope it is true .
    No. I mean, one follicle, 2 hairs in it. I even had (this happened to me only once) one hair follicle with 3 hairs in it, a M looking hair, and 2 veeery F hairs.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I don't have answer to OP but wanted to chime in, that to my understanding it's typical to have several hairs growing from one follicle (these is called follicular units or FU). iii persons will likely have more hairs per follicle than i persons. When there is only one per follicle (especially if this is true for most of person's hair/follicles - it's normal [againt to my understanding] to have some follicles with only single hair), that is possibly a case of thinned out hair (hair loss). I don't have links to give from the top of my hat but you can google it - I learned about it as I have been reading about different aspects of hair loss.
    Last edited by Arctic; May 23rd, 2017 at 04:09 PM.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.