Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Experiments: Pass or Fail

Length
    TWA/APL/Waist
    Type
    4b/M/ii

Default Re: Experiments: Pass or Fail

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAralin View Post
    I use the whole egg, it works fine for me! I used to use whole eggs whisked up as a masque, nowadays I'm trying a few different herbal infusions mixed with it as a pre-wash treatment. You can use egg yolks, whites or whole eggs depending on what your hair type is and what you're trying to do. The drier your hair the more yolk percentage is the general rule of thumb, as I understand it.
    I agree, the yolk is more moisturizing. The whites tend to strip my hair and leave that eggy scent behind.
    No shampoo
    No conditioner
    APL to BSL come grow with me!

Length
    bsl/waist/ftl
    Type
    2b/F/ii

The problem with the egg wasn't using the whole egg. I did once literally cook an egg (and ended up with pieces of white) on my head because I washed with regular hot water, but this time I made sure only to use cold water.
    I think I just had dirty hair, and this mix didn't make it slippery and removed the grease like regular shampoo does, so it just stayed there, but with egg and water on top xD
    Don't you know this tale
    In which all I ever wanted
    I'll never have?

Length
    ?/60"/Term
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMoon View Post
    The problem with the egg wasn't using the whole egg. I did once literally cook an egg (and ended up with pieces of white) on my head because I washed with regular hot water, but this time I made sure only to use cold water.
    Haha, I've done that once! My shower suddenly started running hotter than it had been. It's an unreliable shower and goes hotter/colder for no apparent reason all the time, but this was the worst possible timing, right when I was trying to rinse the egg treatment out.

Striving for my terminal length.

Length
    Waist/3 ft./6ft.
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I just did my first rye flour wash! I'm very pleased, indeed. I used 3 tblsps. of rye flour and 3 tblsps. of chandan, in about half a cup of warm water. Mixed it mostly with my fingers. Massaged my scalp well, then rinsed as well as possible with cool water. Followed by a vinegar rinse (2 bottle caps in a large McDonald's cup of water).

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

My first few attempts with SMT using VO5 conditioners--if I had any doubts about proteins with my hair, that sure settled the score! No more protein-rich conditioners or shampoos for me!

I'm currently trying a non-SLS and non-cone first condition combo, with Hello Hydration as my final conditioner (I WCC)--so far, so good! I will be trying the Sally's GVP Biolage Matrix Conditioning Balm when I do my next SMT--no proteins to speak of, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more success!
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Ann View Post
    My first few attempts with SMT using VO5 conditioners--if I had any doubts about proteins with my hair, that sure settled the score! No more protein-rich conditioners or shampoos for me!

I'm currently trying a non-SLS and non-cone first condition combo, with Hello Hydration as my final conditioner (I WCC)--so far, so good! I will be trying the Sally's GVP Biolage Matrix Conditioning Balm when I do my next SMT--no proteins to speak of, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more success!

It makes me sad that VO5 are protein heavy. I've found a dollar store that sells them in Canada, but I'm protein sensitive too. But, so many people love them.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    ?/60"/Term
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Made a leave-in mix with slippery elm, aloe vera, coconut oil, macadamia oil and a bit of emulsifier.
    It does seem to be hydrating but it seems to make my hair slightly MORE prone to tangling... wonder if it was too much mucilage or if it's the emulsifier... will have to keep experimenting. Not a complete fail but not a big success either.

Striving for my terminal length.

Length
    Pixie/BCL/CL
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Nice thread here !
    So, in the past few weeks/months:

Pass:
    -coffee rinses (helped me a lot with shedding and my hair grew very fast, but that might have been for many other reasons)
    -dying with indigo only (I have very dark brown hair but I was afraid of possible green hues)
    -DIY dry shampoo with cornstarch and cocoa powder

Fail:
    -hair wrap overnight to dry/straighten hair (takes forever to dry and I get weird tiny bumps where the bobby pins sit. That might be just me being clumsy though, I tried a few times but just can't get it right)

Length
    bsl/waist/ftl
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAralin View Post
    Haha, I've done that once! My shower suddenly started running hotter than it had been. It's an unreliable shower and goes hotter/colder for no apparent reason all the time, but this was the worst possible timing, right when I was trying to rinse the egg treatment out.
    Laaate reply, but I just checked this thread.
    I can only imagine what a pain it must have been with your length. And I had one of those unreliable showers once, too. Sometimes I'd have to come out running out of the tub because it would get boiling hot, and the next minute I'd be freezing.
    Don't you know this tale
    In which all I ever wanted
    I'll never have?

Length
    TWA/APL/Waist
    Type
    4b/M/ii

My clay and amla mix was a big fat fail due to the lack of emollients. All the moisture and oils sucked from my hair and scalp. Thank Yah for rosewater spray! I am not one who can mix clay and acid and be good with it. Next time, rose powder, marshmallow root tea, and aloe will be added.
    No shampoo
    No conditioner
    APL to BSL come grow with me!