Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Combs vs. Tangle Teezer

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Wooden Combs vs. Tangle Teezer

Im having issues with breakage. After brushing this morning I realized that my tangle teezer is giving me breakage and white dots.
    I know it was so highly recommended but, for some reason its doing damage... you may see me selling mine on here soon unless someone here can help...
    Anyway, it was suggested to me that I try wooden combs. Would a wooden comb be better?

I was looking into these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Binmer-TM-Han...ts=p_36%3A-500

Is price a concern? Are cheap wooden combs bad? I need two because of my living situation and this is a great price point.

Should I keep giving the tangle teezer a chance or give them up?
    Who here prefers the TT to wooden combs or wooden combs to tangle teezers?

I dont know what to really do at this point. I tried finger combing but that hurts more than using a brush.

ETA: Please, if you plan to suggest a specific comb or brand, keep it under 10$.
    I need two of whatever I plan to purchase, and I cannot afford to spend 40$-80$ on some combs. Thank you!
    Last edited by Rebeccalaurenxx; April 26th, 2017 at 01:27 AM.

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    pixie/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Wooden Combs vs. Tangle Teezer

I have a Widu brush (wooden pegs) that I like a lot.

Lots of people seem to love the wooden combs from The Body Shop. I got two, and the insides of the teeth were not sanded at all; one pass through my hair shredded several strands. I took a few hours smoothing one with several grades of sandpaper then various grades of micromesh, turning it into something friendly to my hair, but it was a bother. Your mileage may vary - all the reviews I found for them were very positive; I don't know if I'm just exceptionally picky or if it was a bad batch or what.
    Last edited by nekosan; April 25th, 2017 at 11:22 PM.

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by nekosan View Post
    I have a Widu brush (wooden pegs) that I like a lot.

Lots of people seem to love the wooden combs from The Body Shop. I got two, and the insides of the teeth were not sanded at all; one pass through my hair shredded several strands. I took a few hours smoothing one with various grades of micromesh, turning it into something friendly to my hair, but it was a bother. Your mileage may vary - all the reviews I found for them were very positive; I don't know if I'm just exceptionally picky or if it was a bad batch or what.
    Thats way too expensive for me sadly, I need two. I just checked online and the brand your recommending is 20$+ per brush. :/

Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    pixie/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Yeah, sorry.

I would suspect that cheaper wooden combs would need some additional sanding to make them hair-friendly, but I only have experience with the one I got. The one from the body shop was improved with 100 grit sandpaper, which is fairly rough.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

http://hairsense.com/combs/bone-combs/

Get one of those. Don't let the name fool you, they're not made of bone, they're made of a plastic resin called bakelite. You also don't even need to buy from that retailer, search "bakelite comb" and you should find more places. As far as I know, bakelite combs are all hand carved, so they're polished to prevent snags. If you get one and see any evidence it's mold injected, return it! You can also search by "bone", or in some cases, "bohn", and get the same results. (Hairsense has a blog post sort of explaining that peculiarity.)

I've had wood combs snag, even nice ones. I've never had a bakelite comb snag.

If you absolutely must have a wood comb, I suggest bamboo. (yes, I know, I'm cheating with that suggestion, technically bamboo is not a wood....) The Body Shop carries a bamboo one. It's not great imo, but it certainly gets the job done, and has not snagged my hair as far as I can remember. But I also don't reach for it anymore--I either go for my hairsense comb or my denman. They also have a bamboo brush that looks similar to the Widu

I do not like Tangle Teaser at all, but I always felt a little awkward about saying as much as it does have a following.

If you want a brush, I would recommend Denman. They are expensive. They're also worth it. You can pick up Denmans at basically any hair store (Sally's, Peninsula Beauty, etc).
    https://www.denmanbrushus.com/
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    http://hairsense.com/combs/bone-combs/

Get one of those. Don't let the name fool you, they're not made of bone, they're made of a plastic resin called bakelite. You also don't even need to buy from that retailer, search "bakelite comb" and you should find more places. As far as I know, bakelite combs are all hand carved, so they're polished to prevent snags. If you get one and see any evidence it's mold injected, return it! You can also search by "bone", or in some cases, "bohn", and get the same results. (Hairsense has a blog post sort of explaining that peculiarity.)

I've had wood combs snag, even nice ones. I've never had a bakelite comb snag.

If you absolutely must have a wood comb, I suggest bamboo. (yes, I know, I'm cheating with that suggestion, technically bamboo is not a wood....) The Body Shop carries a bamboo one. It's not great imo, but it certainly gets the job done, and has not snagged my hair as far as I can remember. But I also don't reach for it anymore--I either go for my hairsense comb or my denman. They also have a bamboo brush that looks similar to the Widu

I do not like Tangle Teaser at all, but I always felt a little awkward about saying as much as it does have a following.

If you want a brush, I would recommend Denman. They are expensive. They're also worth it. You can pick up Denmans at basically any hair store (Sally's, Peninsula Beauty, etc).
    https://www.denmanbrushus.com/
    I will totally give bakelite combs a thought. They look good and nicely priced! I bought a plastic wide tooth comb from target today and it seems fine and smooth.
    I wonder why people suggest wood all the time, as it seems that plastic is just as good? Since the combs you are suggesting are plastic as well.
    I book marked that link though, hopefully they take paypal if I ever do go through with a purchase.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccalaurenxx View Post
    I will totally give bakelite combs a thought. They look good and nicely priced! I bought a plastic wide tooth comb from target today and it seems fine and smooth.
    I wonder why people suggest wood all the time, as it seems that plastic is just as good? Since the combs you are suggesting are plastic as well.
    I book marked that link though, hopefully they take paypal if I ever do go through with a purchase.
    I've had plastic and wood, both combed my hair effectively. The only reason I prefer wood over plastic is because plastic creates way too much static for me, especially when the air is too dry, like in the winter.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccalaurenxx View Post
    Im having issues with breakage. After brushing this morning I realized that my tangle teezer is giving me breakage and white dots.
    I know it was so highly recommended but, for some reason its doing damage... you may see me selling mine on here soon unless someone here can help...
    Anyway, it was suggested to me that I try wooden combs. Would a wooden comb be better?

I was looking into these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Binmer-TM-Han...ts=p_36%3A-500

Is price a concern? Are cheap wooden combs bad? I need two because of my living situation and this is a great price point.

Should I keep giving the tangle teezer a chance or give them up?
    Who here prefers the TT to wooden combs or wooden combs to tangle teezers?

I dont know what to really do at this point. I tried finger combing but that hurts more than using a brush.

ETA: Please, if you plan to suggest a specific comb or brand, keep it under 10$.
    I need two of whatever I plan to purchase, and I cannot afford to spend 40$-80$ on some combs. Thank you!
    You did mention you had the white dots already. So I doubt that the brush or combs are *giving you* extra white dots. Might it just be the ones that are still there bugging you?

I have *never* heard a comb or brush is even able to give someone white dots (because that means the shaft was "boiled" due to heat).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

I also recommend Hairsense combs. I own 3 and really like them.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Mystery View Post
    I also recommend Hairsense combs. I own 3 and really like them.
    I have 3 too. All of them bone. 2 of their bigger rakes, and the bone "volume" comb, which is your basic WT comb. I love that comb especially. Love it for detangling my hair when it comes out of the towel. It is absolutely perfect for that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)