Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Combs vs. Tangle Teezer

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Wooden Combs vs. Tangle Teezer

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccalaurenxx View Post
    I don't seem to have that issue! I oil very lightly before detangling and it seems to be fine. So maybe plastic will do for now until I can afford to spend 20$-30$ on two combs.
    Yeah if plastic works for you then keep on with the plastic! My hair gets staticky easily just because my hair is quite dry. I should have mentioned that I use a Conair plastic one in the shower, I've had the same one for almost a decade and it's great for my wet hair.

So if all you guys have good experiences with the cheaper combs, would the comb I linked in the OP be ok? It's like 3$ and that's really really nice as my hours just got cut at work and I have absolutely no money at the moment...
    I'd get it for $3. It looks very smooth from the picture too. If you end up hating it anyway, at least it was just $3. You can always upgrade to a nicer one later on if you want to!

Quote Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
    Yeah if plastic works for you then keep on with the plastic! My hair gets staticky easily just because my hair is quite dry. I should have mentioned that I use a Conair plastic one in the shower, I've had the same one for almost a decade and it's great for my wet hair.

I'd get it for $3. It looks very smooth from the picture too. If you end up hating it anyway, at least it was just $3. You can always upgrade to a nicer one later on if you want to!
    Conair combs are good; when I don't have Winter static I do use the fine and regular tooth combs for styling/spot detangling.
    I also have the shower comb (like you... almost for a decade lol) and I love that one too.

But I still grab for my wood combs throughout the day for a quick fix; it is like finger combing.... but does a better job for my hair texture.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I see some roughness where the tines meet the backbone of the comb (linked in forst post) but probably you can quickly smooth it out.

I have some bakelite combs and love them! They are hand cut and seamless, never cause static and never damage my hair. They were all bargains from local super market years ago, just few euros per piece. I have wooden combs too. I can say the Body Shop comb is a good investment, it is not expensive for its quality. Mine is probably 8 if not more years old.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    Conair combs are good; when I don't have Winter static I do use the fine and regular tooth combs for styling/spot detangling.
    I also have the shower comb (like you... almost for a decade lol) and I love that one too.

But I still grab for my wood combs throughout the day for a quick fix; it is like finger combing.... but does a better job for my hair texture.
    Me too! For some reason I feel my hair snaps more easily when I detangle with my fingers than when I use a comb. The wood also smooths hair out in a way that the fingers can't I think.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    None of my hair has ever been heat treated or bleached in any way and I still get white dots. I know others have said this too.

I will second the Hairsense comb. I got mine off the swap board board and love it! You might try an ISO there actually, and see if anyone has a nice comb they have fallen out of love with. I tried the TT and absolutely hated it. I love my wide-tooth comb though!
    Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Ditto. White dots on my hair appear to be the result of mechanical damage, and brushing appears to increase splits and dots in my hair.

I adore my Eternally in Amber combs.
    Really you guys?

I find this so odd.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It's the tangle teezer. I am white dot and split free the second I step out the shower, split free for a day then when I detangle with the TT on day two, they show up. On top of it, they're only in the areas where I used the tangle teezer. I don't detangle my overall length, I only use the TT on my bangs and the face framing layers that seem to take forever to grow: the hair in the back of my head is fine and white dot free and also the longest portion of my hair. But the hair on the sides is splitting and constantly looking bad. My bangs are ok because I keep them short and blunt, but the face framing layers are constantly splitting and I'm realizing it's the TT.
    I don't color and haven't used chemicals on my head in 3 years+ and started from pixie when I started growing. I don't use heat and I haven't in 5 years+ so I suspect that the hair around my face is finer and possibly just more easily damaged and needs something gentler.
    Hmm. I have really F hair, and I think I'll pay more attention to this in future. My TT so far has not caused me issues yet, but I only brush weekly. Maybe it's that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by wispe View Post
    I don't see why not! I went with cheap because I figured if it was rough/had snags/splintered I could at least sand it down, and I'd rather have spent less money on a comb I had to smooth out than spend more money and risk having to do the same thing. I lucked out in that it was perfectly smooth and didn't get beat up in transit (mine was mailed in a thin mailer). I've seen wooden combs in person before (at T.J. Maxx I believe) but they were obviously splintered within the package, and like $15. No thanks!

ETA: the comb you linked to is sold/shipped by the same seller as the comb I bought, yours is just a handled version! I had a good experience with them so I'd say go for it, personally. My comb did end up being a different shape than the listing pictures, slightly more rounded, but I was impressed by the quality and it arrived sooner than I thought it would. I think within a month. No tracking though.
    Oh! Good to know! I will leave it in my wishlist then and maybe when my plastic one is cooput I will purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    Personally..I would; it has a 5 star review!

It is not the same seller as mine was, but for the price.... even if you encountered a snag, it can be easily smoothed with an emery board.

I was sorry I hadn't spotted the cheaper comb FIRST; I would have saved 70% of what I paid for the first comb ...and for the same quality

Good luck!

(Sorry to hear about your job; praying it picks back up for you!)
    Aw thank you GG, my boss left for Frankfurt 2 weeks ago for a tattoo convention, and since he cannot babysit me or accept larger orders I get 0 hours til June 7th.
    Its a temporary situation, but seeing as I am also a full time student and need to eat, I still need money. So I am "budgeting", so hair is on the back burner again.
    It kind of sucks because I love blowing money on my hair... one of the few things I indulge with myself lmao.

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I think because of finances I will stick with the plastic one for now, until I can get the wood ones. Maybe fork out more when I can afford it, for combs I can see in person.

Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Really you guys?

I find this so odd.
    Different strokes. You may have different experience with the TT for sure because of your minimal use. Maybe I am too rough?
    I dont know what I am doing wrong! I hate spending loads of money on things like brushes just to have it not work.
    I work my way up, and usually hold my hair with my hands so there is less tugging and less fall out.
    I try to be as gentle as possible but if I dont pull the TT through with a bit of force then I cant get any tangles out!
    I can hear little "ticks" as the teeth go through and I thought it was ok, but I guess its the teeth breaking through the knots and giving me breakage.

Me too! For some reason I feel my hair snaps more easily when I detangle with my fingers than when I use a comb. The wood also smooths hair out in a way that the fingers can't I think.
    Same here
    Oh! Good to know! I will leave it in my wishlist then and maybe when my plastic one is cooput I will purchase!

Aw thank you GG, my boss left for Frankfurt 2 weeks ago for a tattoo convention, and since he cannot babysit me or accept larger orders I get 0 hours til June 7th.
    Its a temporary situation, but seeing as I am also a full time student and need to eat, I still need money. So I am "budgeting", so hair is on the back burner again.
    It kind of sucks because I love blowing money on my hair... one of the few things I indulge with myself lmao.
    Yeah if the plastic is doing it for you, then you can wait.
    I don't heavily oil so that may be why I get more static I may have to change that lol

Oh wow...June 7; ouch!!

Hair indulgences are nice but the body needs food