Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I am utterly lost with my messy, stringy, and frizzy hair

Length
    2/7/25
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: I am utterly lost with my messy, stringy, and frizzy hair

So I'm gonna get shot down for this but if I wanted really glossy shiny sleek hair and to tame all those wavy curls. I would give a decent hair salon a shot. Just to wash n dry your hair costs about £25 in uk dunno what it costs anywhere else. But the difference is remarkable, plus you can ask em what product they use, what type of brushes, what drying method they used. That might help.
    Generally hair dressers are concerned with making your hair look nice the day you came in, so they are not bothered about using irons and hair dryers on high heat that if you used them alll the time you would wreck your hair.

But I'd try the hair dresser at least once to see what the result is and what they recommend.

Generally I don't know how much time you want to spend on your hair, but running a bit of protective oil through it and hair drying it gently section by section on a cool setting possibly with a wide tooth comb so it gets detangled but not too frizzy might help.

Also perhaps a girly suggestion, but maybe ask the hairdresser for a cut that will take some of the weight out and emphasise the curl. Look at slash from g n r his hair isn't all one length, and it full of volume and curl and it's totally rock!
    Last edited by OhSuzi; April 24th, 2017 at 02:39 AM. Reason: For the 5 th time because I cannot type!
    Hair tomorrow, hair yesterday, but never hair today!

Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

I prefer a mane-ly (hehe) look for my hair, so I'm not really looking to modify it that way. About the hair salon, that is a nice suggestion and also another thing I've considered, but for now I'll go with what I have to see what effect it has on my hair (I don't even have the proper products for LOC yet, and perhaps even WCC washing.)

Here are the current results from the day after washing+oil, along with braiding which I started this week:

https://postimg.org/image/lwpnb7mwn/
    https://postimg.org/image/i1m98n3qv/
    https://postimg.org/image/uhnkg4mgn/
    https://postimg.org/image/klmhghgon/

Overall, it does look a bit better, a bit less stringy, a bit less tangly, a bit less frizzy, a bit less messy, and seemingly with a bit more preserved and defined curles than usual (could be I'm wrong, I'll see how it goes). So for now I'll continue using oil and trying to get out product buildup (which I'm now fairly certain I have, looking at past experiences).
    I just want to again say thank you all, you're wonderful.

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

I didn't read through all the responses so apologies in advance if I'm repeating what others have already said...

You're definitely curly, and it looks like the main thing you need is something to define those curls. I'm only wavy but my DH is curly and one of the products that works for both of us is Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in. It defines my guys curls without weighing them down. He's medium fine-ish though, so you might need something stronger to make the curls 'clump'. The other thing is they might need some encouragement to do that, I would suggest a leave in of your choice finger combed into wet hair and then scrunching or plopping your hair to see if they gives the curls a hand getting themselves into order. I'm sure it's already been said but google the curly girl method for more great curl specific advice and products recommendations.

Length
    N/A/67/75/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Doomjoon View Post
    I prefer a mane-ly (hehe) look for my hair, so I'm not really looking to modify it that way. About the hair salon, that is a nice suggestion and also another thing I've considered, but for now I'll go with what I have to see what effect it has on my hair (I don't even have the proper products for LOC yet, and perhaps even WCC washing.)

Here are the current results from the day after washing+oil, along with braiding which I started this week:

https://postimg.org/image/lwpnb7mwn/
    https://postimg.org/image/i1m98n3qv/
    https://postimg.org/image/uhnkg4mgn/
    https://postimg.org/image/klmhghgon/

Overall, it does look a bit better, a bit less stringy, a bit less tangly, a bit less frizzy, a bit less messy, and seemingly with a bit more preserved and defined curles than usual (could be I'm wrong, I'll see how it goes). So for now I'll continue using oil and trying to get out product buildup (which I'm now fairly certain I have, looking at past experiences).
    I just want to again say thank you all, you're wonderful.
    It is looking much better and must be feeling a little easier to manage

When last have you done a DT ?
    Try scrunching your hair while your are doing your LOC that should help to define your curls more. Good luck

Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

The photos make it look sort of better than it is for some reason, but yeah, there is improvement.

As for DT, never actually, as I said I'm VERY new with hair care (I had to look up what it was). I do indeed scrunch my hair while damp, and thank you.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    43/15/13
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I always get my best curl formation by twirling strands of hair around my fingers as it air dries.

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Just for the record, your hair seems very similar to mine. A bit wild, a bit untamed, possibly a bit thirsty (no promises but mine calmed a bit when I started going nuts on the moisture treatments every 2nd or 3rd week). I definitely agrees with the mane-like feel of it, especially days 2-5.

If you're interested in double conditioning, with or without the shampoo; you should be able to trial it with the conditionor you have already. I use the same conditioner twice every wash, and just add or subtract the shampoo as required.
    Waist...Hip...Tailbone...Classic...We'll see
    2015...2016...2016......2017.....????

Length
    N/A/67/75/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Doomjoon View Post
    The photos make it look sort of better than it is for some reason, but yeah, there is improvement.

As for DT, never actually, as I said I'm VERY new with hair care (I had to look up what it was). I do indeed scrunch my hair while damp, and thank you.
    Good luck
    Take it one step at a time. Soon you shall know your hair very well especially what it likes and dislike. It is good that you are not trying everything at once. When you are ready you can try a DT. I am also knew to hair care. But being curly DT'S have helped a lot. Oh and the LOC. However I did notice I can skip the DT'S in summer and get back to regular DT'S from autumn.

Length
    SL/BSL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Thanks for the advice on coconut oil, that makes sense that it is too thick for a leave-in. I tried using it before washing and it did seem to help Thank you!

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ghanima View Post
    I would give a shot to WCC. Go find the link of WCC's thread in Lapushka's signature. First time, give a good wash to all length so the hair are clarified. Use two different conditioners. Then do LOC. I haven't tried her RO but I bet it's brilliant too.

Alternatively, after clarifying very thoroughly, try CO-washing with no-cones conditioners. CO-washing works well for wavies and curlies, but not for everybody, you need to give it some time so the scalp gets used to the conditioner. I personally tried it a few weeks but in the end I opted not to go that route.

I mean, maybe at the end of the exploration you will go back to CWC as your favorite, for me it is a frizz-factory but we are all different. It's a lot of trial and error, until you find your routine and your HG products. Every time you wash change one thing only, so you get a clear sense of what works and what not.
    Yes and if you have any doubts about the LOC method, that link is in my signature as well. Who knows your questions might be answered there already.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)