Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went sulfate free and now have serious dandruff Help!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Went sulfate free and now have serious dandruff Help!

I would do a sugar scrub on the scalp, then go into a "holding pattern" back to whatever it was you were doing to see if that resolved or if that did nothing (if you change your routine further, it will make identifying a bit harder). Keep in mind though, if the sugar scrub resolves it, it's probably going to come back at least a few times (if not perpetually), because if the sugar scrub fixes it, that means its gunk accumulating on the skin between the follicles, that you will need to periodically exfoliate.

The H&S will kill whatever generally is considered dandruff, but it's been my experience that not all scalp flakiness is actually dandruff, sometimes it's just accumulated gunk (I periodically suffer from both, and generally don't treat for dandruff unless there's itching involved). That's why I suggest a sugar scrub, esp. if the H&S didn't resolve.

I would not do additional anti-dandruff shampoos until directed by a dermatologist or doctor, as those can be harsh and drying. From what I understand they're not dangerous in the least, but I would consider the hassle not worth it unless a professional thinks it is needed.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

There are lots of causes of dandruff/flaky scalp, and equally many ways to deal with it/opinions on how it should be dealt with. I think that most people tend to speak from their experience and what has worked for them (including me!), which is of course normal, but it's worth bearing in mind that there isn't really a right or wrong here and it might take some tweaking before you find what works for you.

I have combination skin/hair, and I use very mild cleansing methods. I do find that I have to wash more often (which for me is twice a week instead of once) to keep my scalp from getting gunky. I scritch gently with a comb and often do a light scalp oiling the night before washing, and afterwards while my hair is still damp I apply a few drops of oil and/or aloe vera around my hairline (which gets dry in the winter). Scalp scrubs are nice sometimes too.

If you decide you're more happy with sulfates then by all means use them--there are ways to help protect your length as others have mentioned. But I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing if you can make some adjustments to your new routine to see if it works for you. I try to find a balance between trying to make things work despite clear evidence that it's just not going to happen and "just giving it [hair] what it wants" even when I have solid reasons for wanting to do things differently. I take pretty good care of my hair, and I reserve the right to ask that it make some compromises within reason too
    Last edited by Ophidian; April 20th, 2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Length
    18/23/30
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Thank you all so much for your replies! As most of you have said I think I'm just going to go back to what was working for me (sulfates). It was worth a shot though!

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

You could do what I do and just go sulphate free for a short period and then clarify/shampoo with a sulphate shampoo every 2-3 weeks. I need them once a month, twice a month if I work out a lot that month. But yeah. I have SD and I am sulphate free for most of the year, so I think if I can do it its possible.

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    CBL/32"/32"
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

I also get scalp gunk and flakes and I need to wash every four days to keep it away. It does't make a difference with what- sulfate-free, sulfates, diluted, prescription - just every four days a good wash.
    *Last box dye - 12/2013, Last highlights - 05/2014, Dyed hair gone! - 11/2018 * Goldwell Kerasilk! - 09/16, 04/17, 08/17, 06/18*

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Another vote for a more cleansing routine for your scalp.
    If something like Nizoral (2% ketoconazole) is way too drying for your hair, you can always use it in Scalp-Only washes or in routines like CWC or double conditioning, for example.

Sulfate-free shampoos aren't necessarily gentler (it really depends on the specific ingredients, the formulation - http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...-and-most.html, http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...os-really.html), but that particular product you used is either not cleansing enough or even possibly contains ingredients you may be sensitive to.
    Dandruff can be a symptom of a few skin conditions, so it's hard to tell without seeing a doctor, but getting an anti-dandruff shampoo with anti-fungals is probably the easiest first step: look out for ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, salicylic acid, zinc pyrithione, etc... - http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...oners-for.html If you can't get it under control within a reasonable amount of time, I'd go see a doctor, who might prescribe you a medicated shampoo/foam/etc...
    Good luck!

Type
    3a/M/ii

I am going back to a sulfate shampoo as well, this week, after years of experimenting with alternatives. Let's see how it goes.
    I just wanted to add that, sulfate or not sulfate, my scalp really loves a good massage, and that it also loves brushes, especially the Mason Pearson (popular type). Now my hair-type doesn't really agree with brushing, while yours might, so I wanted to put it out there in case you like brushes.

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    I also get scalp gunk and flakes and I need to wash every four days to keep it away. It does't make a difference with what- sulfate-free, sulfates, diluted, prescription - just every four days a good wash.
    That's me too--like clockwork