Thread: Frizzy Braiding Problems

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Default Frizzy Braiding Problems

I've started trying more complex braids than just english/rope braids, in particular 4-strand braids, and I've been having a lot of problems trying to separate strands and braid properly on account of how frizzy my hair tends to be; all the strands have a tendency to cling to and pick up stray hairs from each other, especially towards the end of the strands; if I'm holding near the top to be able to braid there properly, my ends get very "poofy" and all sort of flow together. (I'm also having general tension problems, which I suspect are related due to the amount of fussing I have to do to sort out strands.)

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this? (Assuming I haven't completely failed at explaining myself.)
    Back to BSL for a bit after a setback

Length
    13.5"/BCL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Frizzy Braiding Problems

Sometimes I like to add some light oil to my length before braiding just to give my hair a bit of slip to avoid tangling at the ends. It helps me keep my braid strands together. When I try to braid with dry hair, I'd hear my hair snapping and breaking as hairs would get tangled together.

Plus it's also a good idea to run your hand through the length of each braid strand as you're braiding them, so that you can make sure that the strands are staying in their own lanes.

^ goal: reach classic again ^ // current hair thickness: 3.35" (8.5 cm)
    Lady Flidais, Guardian of the Woodland Creatures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

You mention running a hand down the strand while braiding; I've seen this advice in a few places, but I've never been quite certain how to do it without dropping strands/completely losing tension?
    Back to BSL for a bit after a setback

Length
    13.5"/BCL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

When you're running your hand down the one strand to smooth/detangle, just make sure your other hand that's holding the remaining strands are gripping those strands firmly and snug, so that those strands basically kinda pin the loose strand in one place. The loose strand should be able to keep its own tension anyway since you're still holding it. If that makes sense.

^ goal: reach classic again ^ // current hair thickness: 3.35" (8.5 cm)
    Lady Flidais, Guardian of the Woodland Creatures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20"/47"/48"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I add a coney serum before braiding. It helps a lot to avoid tangling.

~ proud hennahead ~

Enjoy the journey! Groovy Granny's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL+/@Hip
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly_dream View Post
    I add a coney serum before braiding. It helps a lot to avoid tangling.
    I'll have to try that because my fine silver is very wispy/tangly when I try to French braid, and oil is just too heavy.
    I recently fell in love with the LITE Biosilk serum, so that may help.

English braids I have no issue with

It is the tiny sectioned braids I stay away from because it feels awful while I am doing it, and I end up losing tension in spots if I try to untangle.

I love Torrin Paige's Faux French Braid

And sometimes I start with a barrette/half up and braid from there in thicker sections.
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; March 19th, 2017 at 02:55 PM.